• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I am of the opinion that my daddy told me. "

Married men with kids to feed don't need to be on a motorcycle"
    now that was just my dad's opinion and he was entitled to it.
    I have seen too many good guys get their legs crushed or have serious life altering injuries because some jackass didn't see them and pulled out in front of them or accidently cut them off.

Came to the same conclusion as your Dad. Harley Sportster, for years.

Stolen just before my second daughter was born, couldn't see pushing the envelope any further, so I left it at that.

Miss riding on the open road, particularly in AR, but not in urban areas like Houston, and for 20 miles around it.
    Gun Zone Deals

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I can understand that logic.

My cousin was killed when I drive pulled out in front of him in a residential neighborhood. He was going ~30mph. Doubt take much, just a bad hit.

He was wearing a helmet, but it broke his neck. He was gone before the ambulance arrived. My uncle was extremely upset when I started riding, and understandably so.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas
    I lost a leg at 30 mph with no helmet so it don't take much. I just have to be that much more careful. Split lanes like crazy when I lived in california. Not legal here so dont do it.. It ain't that tough.

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    You would think because it's so dangerous the nanny state of California would not allow it, but they do

Don't think anybody's asking for sympathy

Last edited:

RACER X

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2013
    Richmond/Houston
    Lol, if you get caught impeding a LS in CA, you get a ticket

Watch "CHP's New Lane Splitting Rules with Attorney Seze…" on YouTube
    CHP's New Lane Splitting Rules with Attorney Seze…:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I learned to ride in CA. If you can ride a motorcycle in San Francisco, you can ride anywhere. I'd lane split all the time (stopped traffic ONLY). The speed maxes out about 5MPH; after that you don't have enough reaction time. The threat to your life or anyone else's is nearly non-existant; in fact it is probably the safest driving you and the people you are passing will do all day. Yes- you get VERY close to other vehicles and when you're in a car it feels like your space is being invaded. It can nevertheless be done safely by an experienced rider. After all- motorcycle cops do it all the time on the largest, heaviest, most unwieldy bikes on the market.

The only thing dangerous about it are other oblivious motorcyclists who pull out into your lane without looking and dumbasses who intentionally open their car doors when you are going down the lane. California cops take a very dim and severe view of that behavior.

I used to do it when I got back to Texas all the time. A cop even tried to nail me for it once but he was stuck in traffic so he was powerless to get me (I thought that was pretty funny). I'd still do it if my motorcycle were running. Anyone trying to tell me I'm a bad person for lane splitting that can frankly kiss my ass. I don't care about the opinions of those who are ignorant, jealous, or get their morality from traffic code. Today is 9/11. Get something important to be upset about.

Like I've said before, the only thing I miss about CA is In-N-Out Burger and legal lane splitting, and San Antonio is getting an In-N-Out soon. Hopefully lane splitting is next.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I wonder how many people criticizing lane splitters have actually executed a legal lane split? I bet their great-grandparents were saying the same things about people riding horseless carriages.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I wonder how many people criticizing lane splitters have actually executed a legal lane split? I bet their great-grandparents were saying the same things about people riding horseless carriages.

You rode a horse, you drove a horseless carriage (or tried to) and it was hard to LS on a rutted dirt road. ;)

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My bike is too wide for lane splitting, but even if it weren't I'm not sure I'd do it. Just not comfortable with the people I'm riding around. ...and then there's the occasional psychopath who just wants to be in your way and would say "serves you right" if they hurt you.

I certainly don't begrudge the lane splitters, tho. I'm not understanding this "get in line and wait your turn" mentality. Someone getting to their destination faster than you does you no harm. You'd be stuck in traffic either way. Just sounds like petty jealousy to me.

The ones that don't want to deal with the idiot that catches their mirror or drags the side of their car?
    Irrelevant. Negligent property damage is negligent property damage. Doesn't matter if it happens by someone lane splitting or just drifting over into your lane or some other method.

I Laws are not equal to moral principal or honesty.

Breaking laws, in many cases, has no effect on "being able to live in relative peace and security.....with the rest of society".

IF I were to manufacture an unregistered suppressor (consequences to steep to do it, but good example) how will I be disrupting the relative peace and security of society? That wouldn't make someone a bad person. It wouldn't make them immoral or dishonest.

Just because the gov says "that's bad" doesn't mean it's really bad. It just means the gov doesn't like it, or has thrown out some blanket regulation that makes no sense for most of society.
    It's interesting this comes up in so many different topics and the level of cognitive disconnect people seem to have with it. Malum prohibitum vs malum in se... I'm definitely a scofflaw for anything malum prohibitum. Even for things I would never do and agree shouldn't be done.

CombatM3D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    Fort Worth
    I actually feel safer lane splitting than sitting in traffic on my bike.
    With the amount of rear end collisions, I could only imagine what would happen if I were to be hit from behind on my bike.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom