• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I don't lane split on the Harley. If I need to go to the right around people sitting in the right lane and not turning- I'm going. I generally try and stay away from traffic. The most scared if been in a while was sitting at a light and hearing tires squealing behind me.
    Lynx Defense

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Why yes, it does.

Yes, it would.

It makes it unlawful. Morality and ethics requires obeying the laws.

While I agree with your above. I think YG's remarks are addressing the many laws these days, like those that prohibit folks from planting fruits and vegetables in their front yards, that are arguably arbitrary, overreaching, and do not benefit society in the least.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Please note that I was very particular to narrow the context of my remarks to those laws that deal specifically with pubic safety, which do indeed promote "living in relative peace and security".

Laws that deal with public safety, like traffic laws, remains the context.

IOW traffic laws (against running red lights, running stop signs, etc.) indeed speak directly to "living in relative peace and security" and are those laws to which I was specifically referring.

As far as your comments regarding "breaking laws, in many cases ..." I agree entirely with your opinion.

I'll give a traffic example.

I'm sitting at a red light at 3am with no traffic in sight either way and good visibility. If I were to go on through that light, I've endangered no one, I have not threatened the peace and relative safety of society in any way.

That doesn't mean running a red light is always OK, but it does highlight that it is not always "bad".

Would I still get a ticket if a cop was sitting in a parking lot watching me do it? Yes. But it wouldn't be because I did something bad or dangerous, it would only be because I broke a law which, in that particular instance, was no threat to anyone's safety and had no negative effects other than on my bank account.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    I'll give a traffic example.

I'm sitting at a red light at 3am with no traffic in sight either way and good visibility. If I were to go on through that light, I've endangered no one, I have not threatened the peace and relative safety of society in any way.

That doesn't mean running a red light is always OK, but it does highlight that it is not always "bad".

Would I still get a ticket if a cop was sitting in a parking lot watching me do it? Yes. But it wouldn't be because I did something bad or dangerous, it would only be because I broke a law which, in that particular instance, was no threat to anyone's safety and had no negative effects other than on my bank account.

Any exceptions, real or imagined, do not make such laws any less necessary.

You been reading my mail. ;)

The exact situation that you describe above is, thus far, the only time I've been stopped for a traffic violation in 57 years with a TDL: for running a broken left turn signal, at 3AM, and after waiting through three light cycles; and that was over 40 years ago.

I'm certainly not a do-gooder, but I do, as much as humanly possible, obey traffic laws. Most of them make too damn much logical sense to not obey, and those that don't will part you from too many hard earned, self employed $$ if you don't obey them.

Knock'n on wood...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Any exceptions, real or imagined, do not make such laws any less necessary.

You been reading my mail. ;)

The exact situation that you describe above is, thus far, the only time I've been stopped for a traffic violation in 57 years with a TDL: for running a broken left turn signal, at 3AM, and after waiting through three light cycles; and that was over 40 years ago.

I'm certainly not a do-gooder, but I do, as much as humanly possible, obey traffic laws. Most of them make too damn much logical sense to not obey, and those that don't will part you from too many hard earned, self employed $$ if you don't obey them.

Knock'n on wood...

Maybe this is part of the issue we are having with this subject.

I'm not trying to say that the law against running a red light for instance, is unnecessary. Just that it's not necessarily unethical/immoral/bad to break it. That is dependent on the situation.

Some things, such as lane splitting in heavy traffic to save yourself time, are pretty disruptive.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Maybe this is part of the issue we are having with this subject.

I'm not trying to say that the law against running a red light for instance, is unnecessary. Just that it's not necessarily unethical/immoral/bad to break it. That is dependent on the situation.

Some things, such as lane splitting in heavy traffic to save yourself time, are pretty disruptive.

Agree, and no issue with you at all. Nothing but respect for the uncommon sense I've seen from that quarter in the past.

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

My point was originally, and simply that it is something that we need to teach our kids, and the fact that kids learn a lot by example needs to be kept in mind.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My point was originally, and simply that it is something that we need to teach our kids, and the fact that kids learn a lot by example needs to be kept in mind.

Agreed. It's a fine line to walk sometimes.

Glad we could have a civilized discussion about it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I can definitely understand why it is done, ...If traffic is dead stopped, I personally have NO problem with a biker doing it slowly if they are not being a jerk about it.

Instead of thinking the biker is somehow cheating you think of it as a vehicle off the road quicker and out of your way
    Smart, experienced replies with no flames. Why do these posts look so out of place in this thread? :)

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Texas drivers have no idea what to do with a bike splitting lanes.

Seems like a good time for a last second lane change to me.

Or a good opportunity to dump out my spit cup.

I hate lane splitters so When I see them coming I'll close the gap by moving to where they can't get by then get a kick out of all their angry gestures towards me in my mirror.

I agree with the get in line and wait your turn just like everyone else sentiment.

You shouldn't have special road privileges because you're in/on a certain vehicle type.

Of course the DFW area crotch rocket fags tend to weigh heavily on the formation of my opinion of bikers.

Majority of those guys are hyper-steroid aggressive, complete idiots and a danger to themselves (big whoop, doing the world a favor) and worse to everyone else on the roadway.

Top Bottom