• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It's interesting this comes up in so many different topics and the level of cognitive disconnect people seem to have with it. Malum prohibitum vs malum in se... I'm definitely a scofflaw for anything malum prohibitum. Even for things I would never do and agree shouldn't be done.

I actually got to pondering(stupid pinky and brain post from another thread is in my subconscious) this. Got a PM from a member on an unrelated subject earlier today and have been rolling it around in my head ever since.

I believe that lane splitting is incredibly stupid. I see absolutely no evidence that it helps anyone except the rider. Any other claims of "helping traffic flow" or "just getting out of your way"(you weren't in my way, you were behind me....) is just a sad attempt at justifying a stupid action.

That said, I have also argued the point an MANY cases that things should not be banned because someone might do it irresponsibly, but people should be punished WHEN they do something that harms another. For that reason, I'm debating on my own reasoning for being against legalization in Texas.

If it is simply because I think those who are spitting lanes are incredibly stupid and selfish, I may not be able to justify my own opinion on the law. So I'm gonna spend some time trying to figure out how much risk it poses to others, and if the act violates a persons rights in any way (looking shaky). If it doesn't, then I will fall back to my general stance on things that can be don't with a high level of dumbassery and say make it legal, and when someone goes full retard with it, smash them with the full force of the law. And I don't mean simply revoking a license, the majority if Texas riders don't even have one.

Anyways, I've got some pondering to do.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I wonder how many people criticizing lane splitters have actually executed a legal lane split? I bet their great-grandparents were saying the same things about people riding horseless carriages.

You usually make better analogies. This one doesn't really fit.

And there were a lot of laws requiring those with horseless carriages to call ahead before coming in to town so as not to spook the horses and cause a bunch of problems.

Not much of a relevant fact though because it wasn't really a relevant question to start with.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Not much of a relevant fact though because it wasn't really a relevant question to start with.

I had two points with that one, so I probably came across as making a mixed analogy.

1.) Most people who claim lane splitting is dangerous aren't speaking from experience but perception; and

2.) The more jealous ones claiming bikers should wait in line like everyone else are probably engaging in the same old-fashioned, behind the times, jealous stubborness experienced by those who thought automobiles were a dangerous passing fad.

Lane splitting isn't really any more dangerous than any other riding/driving, and is probably even less so than most despite what most people perceive. If you've got a bike and can do it safely, why not? To keep ignorant people happy and feeling safe? To comply with malum prohibitum laws which are extremely hard to enforce? My time on this Earth is precious to me. If I can safely get out of frustrating traffic and in to my castle faster then I see no reason not to. If you're stuck in traffic and pissed that I'm not, learn to ride. Problem solved. Free yourself from the situation instead of trying to put me in your chains.

Despite my heavy-handed approach I hope I can change a few minds on this subject so one day TX can have legal lane splitting as well.

P.S. My comments only apply to SAFE lane splitting in stopped traffic. Bikers who lane split down the highway and do other stupid shit like going 120MPH+, ride wheelies for miles, stand on their seats, etc. are morons who make me laugh when they remove themselves from the human equation (which is often).

And before someone accuses me of being a hypocrite because I have never done any of those things, so I can't speak from experience that they are dangerous, my response is: I don't need to. One need only turn on the evening news in the summertime to hear nearly daily stories of idiots killing themselves trying to play stupid games on motorcycles. Is the likelihood of death, serious injury, or crashing higher with these activities compared to regular law-abiding cycling? Is it higher with CA lane splitting?

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    ^ Yup

Instead of thinking the biker is somehow cheating you think of it as a vehicle off the road quicker and out of your way

:)

Ah! So Lane Splitters aren't doing it because they're chronically important, impatient, douche-bags. They're doing it as a public service?

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    2.) The more jealous ones claiming bikers should wait in line like everyone else are probably engaging in the same old-fashioned, behind the times, jealous stubborness experienced by those who thought automobiles were a dangerous passing fad...

Lot of lines to post a bunch of conjecture and opinion. Jealous? If I wanted a bike I'd go write a check for one tomorrow.

If you cut in front if me at Starbucks I'd be pissed too. That's not illegal but it's a douche move too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410520933.504388.jpg

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Ah! So Lane Splitters aren't doing it because they're chronically important, impatient, douche-bags. They're doing it as a public service?
    You threatened to intentionally run someone over if they merge into the lane in front of you, and yet they are the douche-bags? Classy...

If you cut in front if me at Starbucks I'd be pissed too. That's not illegal but it's a douche move too.
    Bad analogy. It's not the same thing as waiting in line for something. You would still be sitting in traffic whether the lane splitter passed by you or didn't even leave their house that day. Do you get mad at the person on the sidewalk jogging faster than traffic, too?

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    BTW- Just for a little background: When I first got to CA I'd get super-pissed every time someone lane split me. I didn't know it was legal and felt the same way you guys did about it. My last year there I learned to ride (Uncle Sam offered to pay for it for free and give me a day off of work so I said "Why not?").

After a couple months of riding I was competently executing legal lane splits. I went from completely opposed to completely for. A little education and experience does that. Of course some here might say I only support it now that it's convenient for me, and that's fine; I'm not going to bother proving my innocence on that one.

You guys can change your minds, too. You have my permission. :p

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Another thing- don't judge all lane splitters by the actions of those crotch-rocket douchebags. Trust me when I say most other bikers hate them at least as much as you do.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Bad analogy. It's not the same thing as waiting in line for something. You would still be sitting in traffic whether the lane splitter passed by you or didn't even leave their house that day. Do you get mad at the person on the sidewalk jogging faster than traffic, too?

They're not in a vehicle on the road. It makes a difference.

Top Bottom