• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Whenever I try some new BBQ and its good, I declare it the Best!
    As long as its in Texas and not Czech. Its good stuff. They can keep that Hill Country Europe crap.

PapaG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Near College Station
    Every McKeska (Jerry's Brothers Have BBQ places. I think Jerry is the oldest. 5 or 7 brothers IIRC) They are all good last time I tried them. My kids and wife went to Columbus H.S. Jerry had his place up town.... It was great.

Up town was great. Jerry got a bad rep on his catering by using boiled meat. He quit doing that. My son was a tea boy for him on catering. filled tea glasses and was truck monkey... Had a good time.

I have eaten at almost all, of the 7 bros. Jerry place is on I 10 on Houston side. I have eaten most of the Brothers BBQ, catered, or at real places. Good at most. I rate a lot on pork, too many people can not look pork.

J's BBQ out side of Brenham is great. Good sides good sauce. 290 W toward austin. Great stuffed taters and chopped beef specials $1.00 last time Ii way there. Can cook it all.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    There is a place called brooks BBQ in a trailer at FM 529 and Barker-cypress houston/cypress in front of the Ace Hardware Excellent ribs and good Brisket.

ricecowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    I'm surprised some named Hard Eight in DFW (Coppell). Their brisket is SO DRY, I have to drown it in BBQ sauce to get it down my fat gullet. PASS!

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    There is a place called brooks BBQ in a trailer at FM 529 and Barker-cypress houston/cypress in front of the Ace Hardware Excellent ribs and good Brisket.

Funny...he came over to the Kroger, and we were parking at the same time. His pickup smells like bbq

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I'm surprised some named Hard Eight in DFW (Coppell). Their brisket is SO DRY, I have to drown it in BBQ sauce to get it down my fat gullet. PASS!
    I ate there a couple of times and while I found it good did not find it memorable. I am a sauce guy anyhow so that did not bother me too much...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Finally got to the other BBQ place in town... if you must eat BBQ in Athens swing by my house, you don't want to kill your taste buds at either of those places - Cripple Creek or Danny's. I won't say which but one provided a unique experience for me in that I actually threw ribs in the garbage after one bite, the other served a brisket with no visible smoke ring!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I was in Wichita Falls last week and found a new place. I didn't see it on any of the lists. It called Rib Crib and its on Kemp just North of Midwestern Parkway. Damn tasty Q.

I have generally thought of my chicken as the best BBQ chicken I have had. But the chicken I had there was better than mine. Wifey and I had a sampler (combo?) plate so we could try it all. It was really good. The chicken was my favorite, followed by the KC ribs. But all was tasty.

If you are in the area its worth a try.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Finally got to the other BBQ place in town... if you must eat BBQ in Athens swing by my house, you don't want to kill your taste buds at either of those places - Cripple Creek or Danny's. I won't say which but one provided a unique experience for me in that I actually threw ribs in the garbage after one bite, the other served a brisket with no visible smoke ring!
    Don't feel you are alone in the woods. While I never ate at those in Athens, I stopped off at a place that got raves, been in business since the 50's up in Amarillo (IIRC). My London born English wife was with me. Like you we threw the junk out and I was embarrassed this was called BBQ. Stopped in another place over in S Carolina, "Proudly serving BBQ since 1946", it was uneatable. Took it back, they gave me some more it went in the round can as we left.

Stopped off at Phoenix Best BBQ and People Choice Award winner. It was mid afternoon, few customers there and wife and I only ones at counter. I asked where his BBQ smoker was (I saw no wood piles anywhere). He said come back, show you the kitchen. His BBQ was roast beef cooked in an oven. It was then taken out and put in a small smoker (about the size of a couple of under counter fridge. He then added hickory sawdust to the back side, turn it on for 30 min, took it out and sliced it up for you lunch/dinner.... Many places use liquid smoke mixed into bulk sauce and baked in the oven.

Things to look for that if you don't see, drive off without ordering:

Is there a pile of wood somewhere around the building

As you drive up can you SMELL BBQ smoke

When you walk in the door does it smell like BBQ

If none of the above, leave ASAP

There are 3 kinds of BBQ: Great, Good and should not be served to human or animal.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Worst BBQ experience I had was in Milano, TX. If you drive through there you know which one I'm talking about because there's nothing else in Milano other than that BBQ shack and "Taco King" which I've never seen open. Now, I generally like hole in the wall and small family places, but this place is a real dump. The brisket was extremely dry, the ribs waaaaay over cooked, and I don't know if they are thieves or just incompetent but the credit card was overcharged. My guess is the slob of a cashier decided she needed a $15 tip on the $20 bill...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    No one beats my 91 y/o mother's BBQ, sauerkraut, potato salad, and chopped cabbage.

Hint: Roast the Brisket on a rack wrapped in foil over twelve ounces of Shiner beer for eight hours at 225 degrees.

Remove roast, and place onto a hardwood smoker for another two hours. Use only indirect heat.

The smoke only penetrates the meat for the first two hours.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Rudy's is pretty good - but there are many better options

Pecan Lodge in downtown Dallas is tops

Hard 8 is pretty damn good

3 Stacks in Frisco - deeelish

I had Salt Licks at the airport in Austin on a layover and loved it!

Lockhart BBQ opened a location in north Oak Cliff in Bishop Arts District and it's every bit as good as the Hill Country original. Gives Pecan Lodge a run for its money!

chrisc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Wife and I had it twice the opening week. Very good BBQ. We had the pork ribs, brisket, pulled pork first time. She had to wait over an hour on a weekday. Second time we went around 2:30 on Sunday and only waited for about 30 minutes. They had ran out of everything but brisket and pulled pork.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Just got the brisket and chicken from Euless Main St bbq place. Mann they were dry as bone, really disappointed with all the good reviews here and others I heard.

On a side note has anyone been to baby back shack ? http://babybackshak.net/ ?
    This place is run by african american guys, really nice stuff and really generous about quantities. Used to get briskets all the time when wife unit worked at the city of dallas.

Top Bottom