• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    Eating out is about the experience; doesn't matter how good the food is. Having your customer's wait in line for 2hrs is a piss poor way to run a restaurant. Not caring about service is a great way to be listed as "the worst". I honestly don't know how they stay in business. Must be a hipster thing...

Couldn't agree more that eating out is about the experience. I don't go to Franklin regularly because waiting in line is a waste. I hit up Bert's BBQ on Far West in Austin for a sandwhich, Rudy's to feed the family, and will drive to Lockhart, the Salt Lick or Coopers for a treat or if I happen to be in the area, but I waited in line a couple times at Franklin because I had nothing else to do, and I agree its darn good. I can't argue with someone who has had it and says there is better, but if isn't the top it's pretty darn close.

My point is if you are going to label something as "the Best" you have to try what many claim is the Best to have a credible opinion. The commonly labeled top in the state by Texas Monthly and other posters would have to include Muellers in Taylor, Snows in Lexington, the shops in Lockhart, City Market and now Franklin.

There may be others less well known, and someone may claim their local joint is the best, but I am not listening unless they have at least tried two meats (one must be brisket) from each of the joints above.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Keep wanting to eat at Giddings City Market for the whole meal. I was only able to get the sausage when I stopped in. They were out of everything else. I have their # in my phone now, and they will hold some back for you if you call ahead. Gonna do that next time.

Txpitdog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    Htown
    Salt lick on the north side of Austin sucked. Agree with the comment about Cooper's in Llano. Definitely wouldn't claim this place the best, but I always stop at Woody's in Centerville when I am traveling to/from Corsicana and Houston. Just a fun place to go into and the food is good.

Carl's Bbq in Cypress on 290 is legit.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    I work about 4 miles from Main Street BBQ in Euless. eat there about once a month, and have for many years. It's not the best I've had, but it's not bad, and I like supporting mom n pop businesses rather than chains. The Feed Store BBQ in Southlake is better, but don't go there that often because I don't go to Southlake much anymore.

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    There's one in Lampasas on the 281-190E split I been meaning to try and another in Kempner on 190E "Franks"?

It's called the Firehouse BBQ now-it used to have a different name I think. Anyways, it's pretty good, we tend to stop whenever we pass that way. Nice folks too.

Mugtown

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Capital City Texas
    Texas Traditional Bar-B-Q in Manor on 290 East is a hidden gem. The ribs are top notch and the brisket brings you back to a time when BBQ and a cold beer was as good as a warm woman on a cold night.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Ehh Texas monthy is a Buncha inlay boot wearing tea sipping carpetbaggers these days.

While I don't claim these as the best, cuz my father excels on his pos academy smoker. (The crazy thing is its almost 20 years old)
    Corpus-rockport-Gregory. Is macs bbq. The old man died his son in laws all operate one in to rockport and Gregory. Ribs are better in rockport and brisket in Gregory. But that is acceptable fare
    Wharton -hinz bbq off 59 is good. Love their butter beans
    Houston - sleepy hollow- actually bbq is subpar, BUT on Saturday nights they have bands come in and play old country music, and equally old country folks (don't ask me how hey make it inside the loop) come out and dance.
    Haslet has a bbq place called Tom's I think, if its still there with a ol black guy that cooks. It's on that road that cuts off 156 behind the railroad tracks towards the road that used to have that metal bridge that cuts by alliance airport.

Coopers in lano is tasty.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Will be in Austin again this week on business and going to try and make Franklins, which I see is getting national exposure...

Post an update on the Franklins trip. I'f I'm having to get up at 5:00 in the morning before they run out, I'd rather be firing up my own smoker.

PapaG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    Near College Station
    On the road-Jerry McKeska's in Columbus (Clem's in Temple in a pinch). Fairly local- Salt Lick in Dripping Springs. In general-Rudy's.

Every McKeska (Jerry's Brothers Have BBQ places. I think Jerry is the oldest. 5 or 7 brothers IIRC) They are all good last time I tried them. My kids and wife went to Columbus H.S. Jerry had his place up town.... It was great.

My kids went to Columbus High School, well all the Columbus Schools. I lived in New Ulm.

Last edited:

dsukid

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    Considering I live and work right by mainstreet here is my review. (Bias alert...I'm from Charlotte originally) ribs too dry, pork hit and miss more miss than hit, brisket generally really good but I don't drool over it.

If you want pork bring me a smoker and a whole shoulder and I'll make you cry.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Gonna try to do Franklins again this weekend. Its crazy, lines for hours, run out of meat, have not been able to hit it yet. Sure T-giving weekend is not a good weekend for it either. I will wait an hour, but that my max...

I have been going to Mainstreet in Euless since they opened, I am thinking back in the 80's. Most of this time I did not live in DFW, but had family there and when in town we it Greens BBQ on Euless Main. Over all those years I have some dry brisket or a miss on this or that...just goes with BBQ, its not a 100% hit 100% of the time, especially when you are moving this much meat a week in the 1000's of lbs. But you won't go into Greens and find some high school kids cooking Q who is more worried about his pimples and the upcoming date, Mr Green started it and is still there, this is a rarity in successful BBQ places. They get rich and hire help. Try County Line another ONCE WAS BBQ house and the roads are littered with them, many out of business, Lulling and Lockhart are not the BBQ joints I ate at years and years ago. It hard to do mass BBQ, even harder to keep it for years...Mr Green has and I still stand by some of the best BBQ in Texas.

Top Bottom