• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    Ok, I admit... I'm a Texas BBQ newbie, but last time I was in town, I ate at Angelo's in Ft Worth. It was good. Ribs were stellar, brisket was just ok... but since I do an exceptional tri-tip (look it up) myself, I'm usually hard on other people's efforts.

I'll be in the Metroplex in a week or so, any other suggestions for "must-try" places?
    Gun Zone Deals

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Just got the brisket and chicken from Euless Main St bbq place. Mann they were dry as bone, really disappointed with all the good reviews here and others I heard.

On a side note has anyone been to baby back shack ? Baby Back Shak ?
    This place is run by african american guys, really nice stuff and really generous about quantities. Used to get briskets all the time when wife unit worked at the city of dallas.
    Saddened to hear that and I no longer live there or I would head down today to see if Mr Green is still the owner and let him know.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Ok, I admit... I'm a Texas BBQ newbie, but last time I was in town, I ate at Angelo's in Ft Worth. It was good. Ribs were stellar, brisket was just ok... but since I do an exceptional tri-tip (look it up) myself, I'm usually hard on other people's efforts.

I'll be in the Metroplex in a week or so, any other suggestions for "must-try" places?

Pecan Lodge and Lockhart BBQ if you happen to be near the downtown Dallas area.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ate at Smitty's in Lockhart.
    Im gonna say that was the best brisket I've ever had. Loved it.
    Didn't even use sauce on it!

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Ate at Smitty's in Lockhart.
    Im gonna say that was the best brisket I've ever had. Loved it.
    Didn't even use sauce on it!
    Did not eat there, ate at City Market in Lulling couple of days ago, they were OUT of brisket, but had ribs and sausage rings, DELISH!!!!! Pricey, way to pricey but Lockhart and Lulling are more tourist than anything else. I note most of the joints only take cash, the folks that own them must be mega millionaires. Ribs were $13 per lb.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    My buddy raves about about La Barbeque and I say,"really". With a name like that I thought it had to be junk. I'll have to try it.

Like some others have said, I love original Driftwood Salt Lick and luckily it's just a few miles from my house, even though it's a big tourist destination.

Coopers in Llano is a favorite, Kreuz is a good one with the family rival of Smitty's (Lockhart) being good too. My brother makes some great brisket and pork, we follow him from time to time at competitions. I ate some great BBQ in Jackson Hole, Wyoming too....just wish I could remember the name. I know it's not in Texas though....think it was Bubba's?

Some of the worst BBQ is down the street at Smoke n Hopps. I really wanted to like this place, but it was the worst I've ever had. A real shame for them to be in Texas. It's a local beer and BBQ restaurant.

Last edited:

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    My buddy raves about about La Barbeque and I say,"really". With a name like that I thought it had to be junk. I'll have to try it.

Like some others have said, I love original Driftwood Salt Lick and luckily it's just a few miles from my house, even though it's a big tourist destination.

Coopers in Llano is a favorite, Kreuz is a good one with the family rival of Smitty's (Lockhart) being good too. My brother makes some great brisket and pork, we follow him from time to time at competitions. I ate some great BBQ in Jackson Hole, Wyoming too....just wish I could remember the name. I know it's not in Texas though....think it was Bubba's?

Some of the worst BBQ is down the street at Smoke n Hopps. I really wanted to like this place, but it was the worst I've ever had. A real shame for them to be in Texas. It's a local beer and BBQ restaurant.

Yea I passed on La BBQ, then one weekend we were down that way for another place and it was FULL with long wait. We decided to try it...

Was it good?

We live NW of San Antonio, we drove to Austin for La BBQ, ate, got more to go and drove back home...YEA its that good. Best I have had in Austin (have not had Franklin) and yes better than Salt Lick...

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Been hearing good things about Killen's BBQ in Pearland.
    Have not made it over there yet but will try when I get some time off work.

pharmaco

Give me those potatoes
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    The best brisket I've ever had, from and individual or restaurant, was from Mueller's out in Taylor.
    Nobody even comes close to them. Pair that with the location and it's really something special.

Only problem was the funny looks I got for wearing business clothes (I was driving back from work.) Doofus and Dingle were behind the counter chopping meat and one of them said, "Driving back to Austin?" I had to admit it was a pretty good burn and replied, "Not quite. Back to Round Rock." while I gave em both a shit eating grin. LOL.

Howard's in Corpus Christi is really good also, and the service there makes you feel like you went back in time a few decades after walking through the door. Not the cleanest restaurant I've ever been to, if that's something you care about in a bbq joint.

Another "legendary" place I've been to is Jasper's in Waco. It was nothing special at all.

Ole Cowboy said:
    Its simple: Pork Ribs, brisket, chicken, sausage and pork. Potato salad (mustard), cole slaw, pinto beans and condiments, onions, jalapeño etc. Includes Soda drinks, sweet/unsweet tea in a serve yourself buffet line.

How I read your entire post:

NO BEEF RIBS.

JehcNwA.gif

P.S.

I can confirm your suspicions about Salt Lick in Round Rock, though.

It's still a few thousand times better than the plebian places, but it's not as good as the original out in Driftwood.

Whenever I try some new BBQ and its good, I declare it the Best!
    As long as its in Texas and not Czech. Its good stuff. They can keep that Hill Country Europe crap.

Some of the best ribs I've ever had were in Prague during Christmas a few years back.
    Also had a giant hunk of meat in another restaurant that was amazing.

They know what they're doing. lol.

Last edited:

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    When I used to visit Austin for the weekend and stayed at my buddy's old place in Round Rock, I figured out the best thing the RR Salt Lick did was the Sunday prime rib. Holy bejesus that thing was huge and always consistently cooked proper.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    When I used to visit Austin for the weekend and stayed at my buddy's old place in Round Rock, I figured out the best thing the RR Salt Lick did was the Sunday prime rib. Holy bejesus that thing was huge and always consistently cooked proper.

If you time it right, you might try a newer place in downtown Round Rock...Curly's...I'm on old Southern boy and would choose pulled pork and pork ribs every time! Like a few other Centex places, when they sell out, they are done for the day!
    https://www.facebook.com/CurlysPerfectPig?ref=profile

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Hint: Roast the Brisket on a rack wrapped in foil over twelve ounces of Shiner beer for eight hours at 225 degrees.

Remove roast, and place onto a hardwood smoker for another two hours. Use only indirect heat.

Its how I was taught by my grandfather who was a chuckwagon cook in the panhandle turn of the century ... the other turn of the century.

Don't get the trimmed brisket. Get the big vacu-sealed job with plenty of marbeling.
    Rub it down with plenty spices and/or whatever you like, seal in heavy foil and place in a low heat oven, fatty side up.
    As the fat renders, it constantly bastes the meaty portion.
    200*/lb is a rule of thumb.

Finish off on a smoker or even a grill as you like.
    I like mine with a carmelized BBQ sauce.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This last weekend the extended family wanted to do a BBQ tour.
    Obtained BBQ from Rudy's and Granzin's in New Braunfels. Black's, Chisolm Trail, and Smitty's Market in Lockhart.
    Had fat and lean brisket from all. Along with ribs, turkey, pork chop, and sausage.
    What we discovered is:
    1.) It's ALL good.
    2.) No one could agree on which one was "the best". Everybody liked something but there was no one favorite.
    3.) I am bloody well done with BBQ for a while. :laughing: Sashimi for a while thank you very much.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Lol! I hear ya. When we did cookoff competition,
    Day 1, "oh man! I'm gonna eat all this!"
    Day 2, " looks like we got too much."
    Day 3, "give it away! I want a bowl of corn flakes."

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Had to resurrect this thread.

Been to some of the best in Austin, Dallas, SA, and Lockhart. Haven't been to them all by a long shot. North Main in Euless is always closed when I'm in that neck of the woods. Which one is best seems to kind of depend on the day, who is working, and what kind of meat you like, so I am inclined to trust the OP when he uses consistency as the benchmark. Here's my favorites.

Black's is my overall favorite. Hardly any lines, open 7-days a week, great brisket, best sausage, friendly staff, affordable. Like the sides bar and the feel of the restaurant.

The best bite of brisket I've ever had came from La Barbecue, hands down. Last time I went, though, was just pretty good. Don't know if the quality there can be maintained. Best potato salad. Outdoor seating is great.

Not a fan of the new location of Pecan Lodge. Line was too long and did not live up to the hype. Sent back my brisket, was rubbery and tough, cut by a poorly trained teen. Second time was better but not in the class of Black's or La Barbecue by a mile.

I can do dry with some cuts of brisket, like say Kreuz or at the low end, Rudy's, but what I can't do is watery and flavorless, which is what I have gotten at some of the new fad type places around Austin and San Antonio.

Top Bottom