• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I love BBQ like a mosquito loves suckin blood. And while we may toss a coin as to the BBQ Capital of the world, Lockhart or Luling...just like Ole Waylon sung: "
    It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king"
    so is N Main BBQ located on Euless Main St, Euless, Tx about a block off Tx 183 just W of DFW Airport S entrance.

North Main BBQ is the old Green Truck Repair garage. He started doing BBQ on the side and then attending shows. His wins on the BBQ circuit are impressive, Ribs, Brisket, you name it. Mr Green is a world Champ BBQ pit master by any measure. I have been eating there since they opened in the 80's IIRC and just ate there again yesterday when I was in Dallas on business.

Mr Green has done something very few BBQ joints can do: It tastes the same yesterday as the first time I every ate there. And I assure it its the truly the Gold standard by which I measure all BBQ.

Its simple: Pork Ribs, brisket, chicken, sausage and pork. Potato salad (mustard), cole slaw, pinto beans and condiments, onions, jalapeño etc. Includes Soda drinks, sweet/unsweet tea in a serve yourself buffet line.

Eat ALL you want, $15 cash. So its also the best deal in BBQ ANYWHERE!

I have eaten the circuit in Nashville, Memphis, Kansas City, the Carolina's and from Maine to Hawaii, Florida to Alaska and a bunch of countries outside the US. While I don't live in Dallas area and get there from time to time and it has never failed or wavered and old man Green still sits in his big chair at the end fo the counter.

Recent observations: County Line went from GREAT Q to just another chain trying to cash in on its old reputation. The folks that started it are long gone and its now owned by some big corp. Took my wife there after raving about it and I was EMBARRASSED. Been back 2x times and its average at best.

Rudy's: Still hangin in there in spite of more and more locations opening up, but like most Q joints its pricey but they do offer a military discount

la Barbecue, Austin Tex: WOW, just WOW, some of the very best ever. Only been twice and it was a repeat performance of greatness. Is it for real? Time will tell its, new on the scene. 1502 S 1st St, Austin, TX, 78704 Just some kids working out of a trailer but the brisket and ribs are world class. Dine outside, there is no inside, but its Q like Q should be!

City Market: Some slippage, just like Blacks and all the others in the L & L cities. But I never miss a chance to eat there and often will just drive over from SA to get some Q. The problem is ju
    st too much and too many tourists are going and its slipping as a result. Can you say PRICEY!

I 35 from SA to Dallas: Good Grief, how many BBQ joints can there be? 25 or more. Did not have time to stop on the way up to Big D will have to report later on this. Anyone hit anything that is a fav and I should stop at?

Anyone got a world class Q joint they want to recommend? I am open!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am a BBQ nut. Every time the Texas Monthly publishes their list, I start checking places off. Fortunately this year, there are quite a few repeats.

McMillans in Fannin, TX (half way between Gonzales and Victoria) is greatness. Even the sides are first class.

Mcmillan's Bar - B - Q & Catering in Fannin, TX - 361-645-2326 | BBQ Restaurants CMac.ws

Most of you likely have never been to this one: Whup's BBQ in Marlin, TX

https://plus.google.com/112719931923449473434/about?gl=us&hl=en

This is some seriously good Q. Maybe the best I have had in two years. I have eaten BBQ at least 50 times in two years. They have 3 tables outside a plywood shack under a car port. But its tasty. You have to try the special chopped sandwich with sausage and brisket. WOW!

Hard Eight over by DFW is damn good too. They have a Cooper's style there, with a bunch of different types of meats. From the norm, to quail and porkloin. Its really good stuff. Plenty of room, and AC too.

Hard Eight BBQ

There are more i like to eat at, but these are my favorites.

Skip

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    NW San Antonio
    I still love the Salt Lick near austin. Sucks its not closer.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Whups in Marlin looks like a must stop on my list and I just passed by the other day.

I don't remember if I have eaten at KD in Midland or not, its been several years since I ate at a BBQ joint, but cannot remember the name, but it was quite good by my standards.

As for the Tx Mtly lists, well its a lot of hit and miss. I have tried many of them and it goes for YEP they nailed it on that to WHAT where they thinking I would not even call the Q let alone put it in a mag... Get their Tx Mtly BBQ app free, good app lets you find the places or at least the ones that are still in business. Some of the top rated joints are not in business anymore.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I still love the Salt Lick near austin. Sucks its not closer.

"Character is doing the right thing even when no one is watching"

Its great but I am sensing its sliding downhill due to the tourist crowds and opening other stores.

Its very difficult for any eatery to grow. I did a lot of consulting in the restaurant trade until I am able to get out of it...not my career. Giant egos, poor management practices, many doomed to fail before they got started very good. That is why it generally takes big companies to take over and move small eateries with good ideas into the mainstream.

Del Frisco's Double Eagle started out in some old house on Lemon Ave in Dallas, he later sold it for $43M (IIRC). He was smart enough to let someone else take his idea and run with it...

Top Bottom