Texas SOT

Per TX and SA Law, the optimal way to deal with door to door solicitors?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    If you use a Ring or other doorbell camera you can set it up to play an automated message. You can also talk to them without opening the door. People typically do less stupid shit when they know they are being recorded. A lot of these "salespeople" are hired through 3rd parties so they tend to care a lot less about how they represent the company they are selling for.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I answer the door armed with multiple dogs barking , it works well but I live small town that those people think we are nuts anyway. Security system sales are the most persistence. Hope you find a solution. I like the sprinkler ideal though. The house was Dad's and he was a Baptist minister so the religious folks leave me alone. He would invite them in then would pick apart their spill till they left very confused.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Our HOA has signs posted when coming into our subdivision, no soliciting. We have a sign on our front door. Most solicitor's see the sign and leave. One time I was cleaning the gutters along with my wife. Two solicitor's came up the driveway, they were friendly and made some chit chat. Finally one of them started his speil, I said there was no soliciting in the neighborhood. The other guy said they had permission from the HOA, I told him I didn't think so. All the while my handgun was on my hip, the other guy says we better go before he shoots us. I did call the HOA and asked if they ever give permission, no they do not.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    If you want a lawyer who knows the law in TX / SA, you need to look one up and pay them.

I’m in Plano, and have paid for the advice you seek up here, but YMMV.
    Law enforcement generally doesn’t want to come out for simple trespass.
    Purple paint stripes and no trespassing signs are effective for adding additional charges if a felony is committed.
    Persons who knock for unusually long times may be casing your home, or it may be a “Cop knock”.
    Showing up with a weapon in a ready position may get you arrested.

Ring doorbell is often your best option.

So it’s up to you on how you want to handle it.

Good luck.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am looking for someone knowledgeable in TX law and/or San Antonio city law (i.e., current or recent prosecutor, attorney, or law enforcement) to answer this question for two scenarios: What is the best way to use existing laws to discourage or prevent door to door solicitations?

I am no lawyer, so I cannot interpret the law I find enough to come up with a winning and realistic strategy. Also, there is much BS advice out there from folks who "had a friend", eventually admit it was some other state or city's laws, or this was the way it was 30 years ago.

Here are the two scenarios:

1. Solicitation occurs in the City of San Antonio (SA code), from a public street, when a No Soliciting/No Trespassing sign is posted at the door.

2. Solicitation occurs outside the City of San Antonio (TX law), in a gated community from private streets, when a "legal" No Soliciting/No Trespassing sign is posted at the gate.

Again, ideally looking for current LEOs or lawyers who currently deal with these issues. If I can get a solid answer, we can all use this info to our advantage.
    Then call an attorney.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Glad you stopped by I am horny as hell, please step inside.
    wow.jpg

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't plan to hire a lawyer for this. An LEO response is probably best since they are the ones who would deal with this if called. What would an LEO advise me to do based on current law and practical considerations?

GeorgeS

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2018
    San Antonio
    I have a 'No soliciting' sign under the doorbell, and a 'No Trespassing' sign before the door. The assholes (solar, Spectrum, and pest control mainly) ignore both.
    When I answer the door (openly carrying) and see one of them, I point to the signs and close the door.
    One asshat (solar panels) said he wasn't soliciting. I asked him what he thought he was doing. While he tried to think of an answer, I told him he was being 'trespassed' and to never come back. I think that's when he noticed my gun.

Last edited:

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    First off we don’t get many people trying to sell door to door here in the Big Town. However having had a position where I had to make unannounced industrial plant inspections I know what a loan the job is. On the rare occasions it happens I cordially let them I know I am not interested. If they persist I give directions
    “Go down the street to the corner turn right and then **** off”. That seems to work

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The last uninvited solicitor was met by a shirtless and pizzed off me, wearing a pair of jeans with my pistol (holstered) prominently displayed on my hip, saying, "You know this is private property, right?"

Been about 7-8 years or so. Guess I'm about due for another.

Truth be told, I was getting ready to go somewhere, and they just happened to catch me getting dressed and in a bad mood 'cause I had to go to a city. Worked though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom