Guns International

When was the last time you saw someone open carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    A few years a guy in a shirt and tie shopping in Lowes. In fact other than myself that was the only time. Concealed carry, I wonder?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Now back in LA, where O C was never illegal, we pay little attention to it.

When I was a teen, we O C’d everywhere, b/c we shot about every day. My late Dad would buy me those large wooden crates of .22LR’s and 500 round cases of shotgun shells. It is very difficult to hit snakes with a pistol, but it was excellent practice.

I give everyone a quick evaluation as to potential threat to me & mine, O C’ers or not.

Many years back in the 1960’s, when I first lived in Texas, i didn’t realize that O C wasn’t legal there/then, and O C’d quite a while, until a neighbor explained the law to me. Never had any problem.

While I rarely OC today, for various reasons, I ALWAYS CC, even when OC’ing.

In Texas, with long term CL, I only O C when afield, hunting.

Watching the discussions here, I believe that opposition to legal O C in Texas is mostly cultural, and is not based on rational understandings. It makes little sense to me for folks to get all jacked-up about someone OC’ing a handgun; when they’ve been seeing others O C rifles & shotguns forever.

I don’t believe I’ve ever seen a criminal (felon) even try to O C.

BTW the old Texas “law” was blatantly unconstitutional, anyway.

Once more; this is a personal decision for YOU; but I’d suggest ignoring others who choose to legally O C.

leVieux

<>

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I see at least two every weekend, more if I run by the gun shop. Use to see a lot more in Wally World, but seems the past year they have cracked down on open carriers. Manager came up to me and told me to cover up, she was polite about it and since she was, I did consent to her wishes for that day only. We went over the whole sign shit, which they do have it written extremely small "We refrain customer to open carry". Told her it was not a valid sigh and will not hold up, the assistant manager had my back and told her it was not legal and was told that the sign was such many, many times. I then told her, next time I come in, I will be open carrying and if she wants to trespass me, then that's her right, but be prepared for the outcome.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I see at least two every weekend, more if I run by the gun shop. Use to see a lot more in Wally World, but seems the past year they have cracked down on open carriers. Manager came up to me and told me to cover up, she was polite about it and since she was, I did consent to her wishes for that day only. We went over the whole sign shit, which they do have it written extremely small "We refrain customer to open carry". Told her it was not a valid sigh and will not hold up, the assistant manager had my back and told her it was not legal and was told that the sign was such many, many times. I then told her, next time I come in, I will be open carrying and if she wants to trespass me, then that's her right, but be prepared for the outcome.
    <>

Our laws should never make things easier for criminals and harder for legal citizens.

see:

Attachments

• IMG_0225.jpeg
      IMG_0225.jpeg
      83.3 KB · Views: 22

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    A bunch, nah..a hell lot of them, and sometimes me.
    This is Texas. Dumb question…..trying to get a post count up?
    Actually not a dumb question. I’ve lived in Texas all my life, and I can honestly say that OC is not very common outside of LE and security in these parts. Umberger I see is up near Amarillo, more rural and probably is common to see a lot of OC. Not so much in the big cities and suburbs.

13centkiller

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2021
    Umbarger TX
    A bunch, nah..a hell lot of them, and sometimes me.
    This is Texas. Dumb question…..trying to get a post count up?
    Good point Grumps....and every time you go for a horse ride up here you are gauronteeeed to find a rattler....better have something with you easy to access!

Wasn't trying to come across a a jerk as it could have been interpreted when I reread what I said...it's just that there is A LOT of open carry up here!

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    As I understand it, the owner of the establishment or even your mother-in-law has the final say on whether you can open-carry on their premises, hell with any signs. Is easier to simply "cover up" and avoid hassles. They can ask you to kick your shoes off at the door or have a dress code. Open carrying is the same thing to me.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually not a dumb question. I’ve lived in Texas all my life, and I can honestly say that OC is not very common outside of LE and security in these parts. Umberger I see is up near Amarillo, more rural and probably is common to see a lot of OC. Not so much in the big cities and suburbs.

Well, there's a big difference between Umbarger, an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Randall County with an estimated population of 327 in 2000 and Houston, the most populated city in Texas and the southwest US with 2.3M+ residents.

No, you will not see a lot of OC in large, Democratically-run cities like Houston, DFW or Austin. Even in San Antonio, it's not that common downtown; but get your ass out into the real Texas and you will see OC a helluva lot more!

And yes, it is a dumb question. Who cares? We have the right, and those who choose to exercise it can and will do so.

Move on to more important matters...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Maybe a month or so ago. I don't think it matters much big city vs small town. Very unlikely to see it downtown in a city, but in the surrounding areas you're probably more likely to see it just because of population density. I've seen in some small towns there's still an attitude that it's impolite.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Well, there's a big difference between Umbarger, an unincorporated community and census-designated place in Randall County with an estimated population of 327 in 2000 and Houston, the most populated city in Texas and the southwest US with 2.3M+ residents.

No, you will not see a lot of OC in large, Democratically-run cities like Houston, DFW or Austin. Even in San Antonio, it's not that common downtown; but get your ass out into the real Texas and you will see OC a helluva lot more!

And yes, it is a dumb question. Who cares? We have the right, and those who choose to exercise it can and will do so.

Move on to more important matters...
    We are saying the same thing here. We will disagree though on the relevance of the question

Top Bottom