When was the last time you saw someone open carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Not a chance....you won't be able to even hire anyone to be a police officer in this country to carry batons and spray. You would have to be an idiot to take that job.
    No question there would be an adjustment period but soon enough, everyone will accept that a kinder, gentler form of law enforcement is the right thing to do.

LabRat

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    DFW
    I downloaded and reviewed that document. It appears to be a way to get a permit, but not a "carry" permit.

You may have certain firearms, after meeting a lengthy list of conditions, but it must be stored unloaded, locked, etc, etc. unless it's being cleaned or repaired, in the process of transferring to another permitted person or in use for a "lawfully activity". That seems to be it with regard to ownership.

See below (lifted from the document):

There are several criminal offences designed to promote the safe use of firearms. 57
    For example, it is an offence to carry a firearm in a public place without “lawful authority” or a “reasonable excuse”. 58
    It is also an offence to trespass with a firearm and to allow a drunk person to have a firearm. 59
    The police can attach conditions to firearms licences in the interest of safety. It is an offence to fail to comply with a condition of a firearms licence. 60
    The police can attach any condition necessary. They often attach conditions which specify what the gun can be used for (for example, clay pigeon shooting or shooting vermin on the owner’s land). 61

The police must attach two conditions relating to safety to every licence they issue.
    These are:
    • the firearm must always (unless they are being cleaned, repaired, tested, used, transferred or sold) be “stored securely so as to prevent, so far as is reasonably practicable, access to the firearms or ammunition by an unauthorised person.” 62
    • when the firearm is being cleaned, repaired, tested, used, transferred or sold “reasonable precautions must be taken for the safe custody of the firearm or the ammunition.” 63

It is doubtful you would be allowed to "carry" it around in public, concealed or otherwise for self-defense purposes.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It is doubtful you would be allowed to "carry" it around in public, concealed or otherwise for self-defense purposes.

Not surprisingly, I was stationed in the UK forty years ago, have been back several times and still have a lot of friends there.

I know there are a lot of long arms for hunting and on farms for vermin control, but hand guns were extremely rare back then.

I am sure criminal elements have their fair share of them, but the average subjects of the crown aren't even allowed to have sharp sticks much less anything of reasonable capability to defend themselves!

The odd thing is most of my British buds are huge firearms enthusiasts, and are envious of our rights especially here in Texas!

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    I lived in the U.K from 1993-1997, and I had a carry license while there. The officer who came by our townhouse to interview me prior to giving me my license asked if I'd be carrying a 1911 (think he had the idea that all Americans own/carry 1911s). He was a bit surprised when I showed him my Browning Hi Power 9mm. He also told me that a much larger number of British police officers carry a handgun than most people think. They just carry concealed. Its been a lot of years, but think I still have by old British license somewhere around the house.
    <>

Please tell us how you got a license like that /

<?>

Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I was working as a U.S. diplomat at the time. I knew of a number of U.S. diplomats and U.S. military personnel who owned handguns while assigned to the U.K. I never asked whether or not they had concealed carry permits. I did know of a dozen or so U.S. personnel who were licensed to carry during that time period. I don't remember exactly when, but I'm pretty sure the Brits outlawed handguns for British citizens and foreign nationals living there before I left England - think it happened in 1996-97 (could have been a bit sooner. At that time most U.S. personnel had to keep privately owned weapons in Army/AF weapons rooms. Not sure what the law was on shotguns and rifles.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    About once a week while out and about. Closer to Houston one gets, the rarer the sighting, but in Magnolia, Spring, Cypress, Waller or parts in between, its not uncommon, and sometimes you'll see a couple OC'ers at once. I think the last place I saw one OC'ing was the Waller Buc-cee's.

Top Bottom