Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Rudy's is pretty good - but there are many better options

Pecan Lodge in downtown Dallas is tops

Hard 8 is pretty damn good

3 Stacks in Frisco - deeelish

I had Salt Licks at the airport in Austin on a layover and loved it!

1994SVTLightning

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Rudy's in Denton is pretty good. Old House BBQ isn't too shabby either. I like the mom and pop places more personally. Treadways BBQ on the south aide of Swisher west of 35e about 3-4 miles is probably the best around IMO. Saturday nights they have a live band and BYOB. Minutes from the city and you still have that southern pasture party feel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Yep he's talking about hays co. Best BBQ in San Marcos. Fushackz is not very good at all. There is a place in nb called coopers that's really good but over priced.
    You can say that twice. Wife and I had lunch there while back and it was a $42 bill including the ice tea, and barely enough left over to take home.

NB is nothing but a tourist trap. Remember the old NB smoke house. Ate there few months back the food was a throw away. I remember stopping there back in the early 60's and it was a great place, today I would not recommend it to anyone for anything.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Chisolm trail is very good IMO, good sides too. There is a lil BBQ in Braken, firehouse something that is very good as well.

filmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    San Antonio area
    On the road-Jerry McKeska's in Columbus (Clem's in Temple in a pinch). Fairly local- Salt Lick in Dripping Springs. In general-Rudy's.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    It doesn't matter how good it is if I can't get it whenever I get a hankering for it. If you have a restaurant or a food truck I'll take my comment back.

Rangel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2012
    Crosby Tx
    Cooper's is the best for me. We drive to the one in NB quite often. Used to go once a month. But haven't been in a while. Gonna drive up there this month when I get off to eat.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Any good ones in Lampassas?
    Kerrville?
    Those would be handy on a lot of my trips.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I know the hog pit in Midland has pretty good ribs but back home ( in centex we have no f-ing tree's in Midland. I miss trees) in cedar park Leander area I like smoky Moe's and JJ's wasn't bad the last I was there. But my brisket and ribs are slammin.

tap talked from a phone yeah im on my phone! it's crazy!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I think the pork chops at Cooper's in NB are second to none.

In SA, try Two Bros BBQ. It's the pet project of a local chef, but the cherry glazed baby back ribs are damn good.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    I'll throw a first place vote for Fargo's in Bryan. If like the smoke - you'll love Fargo's.

Louie Mueller's in Taylor is also up there - beef and sausage were great, but ribs were a bit odd. Definitely worth stopping, for sure. But not a first place vote.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Franklin BBQ in Austin must be tried before a best is declared.
    Screw that... You could drive to Lockhart, eat some BBQ, and drive back to Austin for as long as it would take to wait in line. Franklin's prices seem a bit high, too.

Honestly, I prefer my own to any restaurant BBQ anyways. That said, Snow's in Lexington is pretty darn good and the line thins out once the auction down the street gets in full swing. Sometimes they run out before that, tho :p

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    It's true, but if you want to make a claim on what is the Best, you have to wait in line and judge all the competition.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I had Salt Licks at the airport in Austin on a layover and loved it!

At the airport? Then you've never really eaten barbecue from The Salt Lick. For the real stuff, you have to go to their original location in an old barn in Driftwood, across the road from Camp Ben McCulloch. You have to see the stone firepit right there behind the counter, with enough meat to Frankenstein a herd of cows hanging over it, with the smell that hits you a mile down the road and guides you to the parking lot. You have to sit down and eat "family style" - where they bring meat until you beg them to stop, then they let you take some home.

And you have to top it off with a blackberry cobbler.

There is no possible way you've truly eaten at The Salt Lick if you grabbed some quick barbecue from their airport location. You'll need to seek out the REAL Salt Lick and experience their food properly, while sitting on a picnic table inside what was once a dilapidated old barn under a tangle of grapevines and oak trees.

But show up early, or you'll wait for an hour with that delicious smell torturing you the whole time.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's true, but if you want to make a claim on what is the Best, you have to wait in line and judge all the competition.
    Eating out is about the experience; doesn't matter how good the food is. Having your customer's wait in line for 2hrs is a piss poor way to run a restaurant. Not caring about service is a great way to be listed as "the worst". I honestly don't know how they stay in business. Must be a hipster thing...

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There is no possible way you've truly eaten at The Salt Lick if you grabbed some quick barbecue from their airport location. You'll need to seek out the REAL Salt Lick and experience their food properly, while sitting on a picnic table inside what was once a dilapidated old barn under a tangle of grapevines and oak trees.
    This... I'd actually classify their BBQ as average, but it's fun to go.

Top Bottom