What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Alas, I can't have anymore. Moderation wasn't my strong suite. Made a choice to leave it alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Way to be guys. I really dont like being drunk. I have lived in texas for 7 years now and can count the number of times ive been drunk on half a hand. I do really like alcohol and especially beer though. Wanted to be a barkeep for a long time. I can tell you lots about lots but still keep it in moderation. Usually a 6 pack a week is average. Sometimes none in a week though.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Earlier in the week, but near enough. Bought this toolbox from the original owner. About half of it is home tools, the other half firearm-related. I plan on getting a wooden top and setting up my RCBS Pardner.

IMG_2806.jpg

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Finally got my dextrin right. I burnt the first batch because I forgot it was in the oven. Second batch came out perfect. Threw in 1% by weight to my black powder mix and ball milled it for a few more hours.

efa30f497a464db7e408dfbce9547820.jpg

Mixed in enough water to make a dough, then started screening and drying of the black powder.

23f682d202aa9c96030c1507d5492f52.jpg

I accidentally added too much distilled water, so I had to break up the dough ball and let it dry some before I could screen it. Thats why there are wet black powder meteorites scattered around the screen!

b3ddee320d278ebe250ee625529d4261.jpg

Screened powder in one pan. Just gotta wait a day or two for it to dry.

a49af761d5528cc61e97fc69c52f4a16.jpg

Still gotta break it up and give it one more screening to get a uniform size (shooting for FFFg). Then remix the stuff that is too small and redo the leftovers. After that, its back into the mill without the lead balls. Just a dose of graphite and a few hours tumbling to polish up the grains (thats the difference between FFFa and FFFg). From what ive read, The finish polish gives a better burn and the graphite helps prevent moisture absorbtion. I should end up with about 1/2 lb once everything is said and done (I started with 9.8 oz, but will loose a little throughout the process.)

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"
    This is really interesting and deserves its own thread IMHO.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015

I totally agree.

While I don't see myself doing it I like to learn about stuff like that.
    Ill start a new one as soon as i get a chance to type it up

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Indeed. Im avoiding going through all of the details because my wife will be mad if i start trying to make black powder... Too many hobbies already.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'd just like to do it because Moonpie scoffs at me when I mention pyrodex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texasjohnboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    North Texas
    Pulled a bunch of stuff that was set too deeply. Hornady Cam Lock Puller is kind of interesting, and takes some getting used to. I ruined the bullets I pulled, but it was the first time using it so eh...

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    powder coated about 120 .40 cal bullets. Maroon is what I had loaded in my powder gun when I finished my other stuff this eve, so the bullets got a shot of maroon.

372d8ea609dd44576ba9a1e17c6023d0.jpg

Also, started a new thread in the reloading section about making black powder.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    setup my turret press for .40 s&w and loaded about 25 rounds to kill time between steps running a new batch of homemade black powder. 175 gr cast bullets powder coated maroon sitting over 4.9 gr of bullseye and some tulammo small pistol primers.

2f3a4f60a3d5afd5353367bbc24fbc5d.jpg

also SS pin wet tumbled some mixed brass (9mm, 30-30 and a few 30.06). Let them run way too long (forgot to turn it off this morning), so they came out copper colored instead of brass. Basically it leached the surface nickle out of the brass. They'll go back to brass colored after a few reloading cycles!

6e0eee2f6992f78ece44c363fa9c62b0.jpg

Some normal brass for comparison:

e5047dd4c4dd4b05d70e035742170b0c.jpg

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Last night i got the 44 mags all flared and primed. Sized and deprimed all my 460 mag and setup the flare and seat dies for it. Waiting on primers for those.

Broke it?? What were you loading?
    I had it set just to size and deprime at station 1 and flare and station 2... It got all out of whack. I took it apart and put it back together, now its working again. I Think it just needed to be cleaned and tightened...

Although after I put it back together i got about 10 rounds through before I broke my effing bench.....

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    The one thing I found with my Pro1000 is that you had to keep it clean and well lubed. when it was, it ran like a top, bit if it got dirty or dry, it wouldnt work worth a darn. Finally got tired of messing with it (didnt load enough to justify a progressive), sols it and bought the classic turret press

As for the bench, that is why all mine are built out of 2X4s and the tops are 2X12's! all held together with1/4" lag bolts 2 3/4" long!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

Last edited:

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zepunisher
    Top Bottom