What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not quite awesome yet! Once its complete and Actually works, then it'll be awesome! only short cuts I took were, I was given some powdered charcoal by a friend who makes BP on a regular basis and I used granular salt peter (milled to powder) rather than making or collecting it. If this batch turns out good, my next batch will be made with homemade willow charcoal. I get the sulfur in chunks from work. We use molten sulfur as one of our feed stocks and the truck drivers are always spilling a little here and there while unloading.

well, either it will work, wont work, or I blow my ball mill to smitherienes! When running, its out in the middle of the driveway, so nothing to damage except the ball mill itself!

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've watched some videos and contemplated trying it. Figured the explosion would happen when my wife walked in to the kitchen :p

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Trying to be more precise with my new rifle so I'm measuring everything.

3d0feed5cbfe530b89054aabb4ac584f.jpg

If anybody needs to borrow a 6.5 chamber length gage insert let me know.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I debur and chamfer to a razor edge so I can stab better with the cases should I run out of ammo.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Finally got my dextrin right. I burnt the first batch because I forgot it was in the oven. Second batch came out perfect. Threw in 1% by weight to my black powder mix and ball milled it for a few more hours.

efa30f497a464db7e408dfbce9547820.jpg

Mixed in enough water to make a dough, then started screening and drying of the black powder.

23f682d202aa9c96030c1507d5492f52.jpg

I accidentally added too much distilled water, so I had to break up the dough ball and let it dry some before I could screen it. Thats why there are wet black powder meteorites scattered around the screen!

b3ddee320d278ebe250ee625529d4261.jpg

Screened powder in one pan. Just gotta wait a day or two for it to dry.

a49af761d5528cc61e97fc69c52f4a16.jpg

Still gotta break it up and give it one more screening to get a uniform size (shooting for FFFg). Then remix the stuff that is too small and redo the leftovers. After that, its back into the mill without the lead balls. Just a dose of graphite and a few hours tumbling to polish up the grains (thats the difference between FFFa and FFFg). From what ive read, The finish polish gives a better burn and the graphite helps prevent moisture absorbtion. I should end up with about 1/2 lb once everything is said and done (I started with 9.8 oz, but will loose a little throughout the process.)

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit....what a ride!"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Trying to be more precise with my new rifle so I'm measuring everything.

3d0feed5cbfe530b89054aabb4ac584f.jpg

If anybody needs to borrow a 6.5 chamber length gage insert let me know.
    Work for 6.5jap?
    I debur and chamfer to a razor edge so I can stab better with the cases should I run out of ammo.

I like it

Finally got my dextrin right. I burnt the first batch because I forgot it was in the oven. Second batch came out perfect.!"

You have way too much free time
    I drank some bourbon and got loaded again. Does that count?
    Only scotch. Oh wait.... This is texas so bourbon is ok

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    You have way too much free time

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I have an 8 month pregnant wife and a 4 year old, work 40-50 hrs a week at my real job (7a-330p not including the hour drive to and from work)and have a side job I work almost every evening and on weekends on for a few hours a day!! Luckily Im a night owl and usually do my tinkering from 9pm to 11 pm or so after my son and wife go to bed. Thats the only "free" time I normally have. Get up at 5 and do it all over again! I did take this morning off so right now, im sitting under a pin oak watching a small oak flat, hoping a bushytail tree rat will make a wrong move! An hour in and nothing, but at least its some relaxation time!

7733a13338ae4fab52fc16ba12783994.jpg

54e29680d986b904ec3f8066a100507b.jpg

Last edited:

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Jack Daniels if you please.

7 and diet coke make the perfect drink for tinkering in the workshop. A good sipping tequilla for relaxing!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Alas, I can't have anymore. Moderation wasn't my strong suite. Made a choice to leave it alone.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Ended up with just under half a lb (6.8 oz to be exact). I still have some to rerun that either was too big of grain or too small. Loaded up one cylinder of my new model army .44 with 25 gr of powder and topped it with a round ball. sgepped outside, capped it and fired a shot down into the ditch behind the house (nowhere to shoot safely other than the ditch). BOOM! Scared the hell out of the neighbors. They were standing in their back yard about 30 or 40 yards away. I didnt see them due to the wood line.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zepunisher
    Top Bottom