• ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    The problem many 1911 owners, especially
    new owners is that they can't resist making changes to their new 1911. They take a gun that runs and improve it until it doesn't and then blame the gun.

These are some of my favorite people because I often have bought a virtually new gun for 40 to 50% of retail.

Many are delusional in thinking parts are drop-in. Some are, but most require fitting.

Army
    Have file will fit

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    new owners is that they can't resist making changes to their new 1911. They take a gun that runs and improve it until it doesn't and then blame the gun.

These are some of my favorite people because I often have bought a virtually new gun for 40 to 50% of retail.

Many are delusional in thinking parts are drop-in. Some are, but most require fitting.

Army
    Have file will fit

Exactly. While the 1911 is a relatively simple pistol design, it can be rather complex to make changes to, unless a person has intimate knowledge of the platform.

I have seen more than a few 1911's destroyed because some kitchen-table bubba gunsmith wanted to improve upon it.

If you look around online, you find there are actually very few true 1911 gunsmiths out there. I do all the work on my 1911's because the true gunsmiths of 1911's, I can't afford them!

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas

Army
    Have file will fit
    In moms shed remedies.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I couldn't figure out any improvements over the customizing that the performance center had made. I only changed the grips, not because I thought they were bad, but because they were a bit too aggressive on my side when holstering. Plus I always liked the look of curly koa.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I complained to the gunsmith that I could not get the slide lock out. A few seconds later my 1911 was in parts all over the counter and he was working on the plunger. Then he showed me how to put it back together before he had me disassemble it again. My first thought was Oh........!

myroverleaks

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 17, 2020
    North Dallas area
    I bought this Sig in .357 sig thinking it would be a nice start to the perfect carry 1911. Have a reliability package and some trigger work performed and it's ready to go. But if there is a downside it is based of the series 80. But it does have a sig style extractor which is unique and seems to work well.
    0-4.jpg

Last edited:

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    I have an older Nighthawk Talon the smith was Shawn Armstrong, have not found anything I liked more. Tried a Brown, a Baer, Kimber, let those go with no remorse. The Baer jammed and choked like a $2 dollar crack whore on her 100th BJ for the day. I have other several Colt's, in .45 ACP, 10mm, and 38 Super, nice solid pistols.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I bought this Sig in .357 sig thinking it would be a nice start to the perfect carry 1911. Have a reliability package and some trigger work performed and it's ready to go. But if there is a downside it is based of the series 80. But it does have a sig style extractor which is unique and seems to work well. View attachment 239033
    Superb sir! I like the curved backstrap grip!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I have an older Nighthawk Talon the smith was Shawn Armstrong, have not found anything I liked more. Tried a Brown, a Baer, Kimber, let those go with no remorse. The Baer jammed and choked like a $2 dollar crack whore on her 100th BJ for the day. I have other several Colt's, in .45 ACP, 10mm, and 38 Super, nice solid pistols.
    Very descriptive, the Nighthawk I mean.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Ed Brown Executive Carry (man I miss mine, never should have sold it). My Kobra Carry was a close second. Had a few others that were honorable mention but won't list them here.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I don't know what the "perfect" 1911 would look like. But the one I got the most pleasure out of shooting was made in 1911 and had US Navy stamped into the slide. A friend of mine owns that gun, and he allowed me to fire a few rounds through it.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    IF, you could pick out the 1911 of your choice, or have built the perfect 1911, what would it be? What features, or finish would it have? What would it's primary purpose or intended use be?

Someone wanted to spark some debate and discussion :laughing:

I've played this exercise a lot in my mind. What I want in a "perfect" 1911...

Double stack frame, 9mm chambering - probably go with one of Caspian's frames with the built in mag well and Picatinny rail. Finish would be one of the teflon infused varieties - I liked the idea of the Robar Roguard stuff, but I think they're out of business? Something similar would be good. Black or charcoal gray for the color. 30LPI checkering on the front strap.

Commander length stainless steel slide (4.25" barrel) so its comfortable for IWB carry. Polished sides, bead blasted top strap and dust cover. Series 70 style. Cocking serrations - I like the forward slant variety, about 10LPI. Just like how they look.

Thin G10 grip scales cut with traditional checkering - a blend of old school and new school.

Flat, checkered metal main spring housing.

GI style recoil spring & plunger

Bobbed beavertail - not the full sweeping tang, just enough to stop hammer bite. Want one with the bump on the bottom to help with deactivating it if my grip is weird. I forget what they call that (brain fart, need more covfefe) - finished in the same color as the frame.

Ambi bobbed safety - somewhere between mil-spec and extended in length, shaved a hair to make it flatter on both sides. Polished stainless to match the slide flats

Polished stainless standard slide stop lever

Medium sized skeletonized trigger shoe, also polished to match the slide flats, trigger tuned to 4lbs with minimal over travel

Trijicon HD type front sight blade with black, serrated rear.

Streamlight TLR-1 or SureFire X300 hanging off the front.

That's what I would consider to be my "ultimate" carry 1911. Of course Wilson Combat has a "factory" offering that would make a good base as does STI.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    There is not a right or wrong answer to this question by any means. It is about personal preference entirely.

Just a few years ago, I have become more fond of the two-tone looking 1911's. I would like a highly polished and blued frame, with a matte finished stainless steel slide, and stainless steel controls for some contrast. I'd like the slide set up for the Bomar style target sights as well. Caliber? Really leaning towards a 38 Super or 9mm just for the fun of it. It would also be fitted with compensator that followed the lines and contour of the slide as well. Not for carry, just informal target shooting.

HawkeyeSATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    There is not a right or wrong answer to this question by any means. It is about personal preference entirely.

Just a few years ago, I have become more fond of the two-tone looking 1911's. I would like a highly polished and blued frame, with a matte finished stainless steel slide, and stainless steel controls for some contrast. I'd like the slide set up for the Bomar style target sights as well. Caliber? Really leaning towards a 38 Super or 9mm just for the fun of it. It would also be fitted with compensator that followed the lines and contour of the slide as well. Not for carry, just informal target shooting.
    +1 to you

I would say get the .38 Super, it's has more velocity than the 9x19mm, plus you can shoot heavier bullets, like 147gr as fast as 124-125's in a 9mm.
    It's a very manageable round to shoot, and doesn't have the muzzle flip the .45 can have.
    The reason I like the Star Modelo Super, in 9mm Largo (9x23mm) is it's treading on the heels of the .38 Super, and has more power than the average 9mm. It shoots 147's quite nicely as well. Of course the 9mm Largo is a hand loaders cartridge, basically, but that doesn't bother me any. The components are quite easily gotten, and plentiful to get as well.
    Regular 9mm bullets are a dime a dozen now.
    The .38 Super uses regular 9mm bullets as well.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Top Bottom