• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I would like to know which pistols do you own or have shot that have left a positive impression. I haven’t bought a pistol in about 3 years, saved up around $1000, and about ready to purchase. Any feedback is appreciated.
    I recommend looking into the Walther PDP series of pistols. The ergos are great, the trigger is one of the best you can get on a striker fired pistol, and they're just great, very well designed guns in general. There's a few different barrel and grip sizes to chose from. They come in a full sized or compact frame, and a 4", 4.5", and a 5" barrel. They also have a pro version, and just recently came out with a version with a slimmer grip targeted more at women (F series). I believe those are the compact sized frame with either a 3.5" or a 4" barrel. I'm not sure why they're only targeting women shooters with the F series. The 3.5" version actually looks like it would be a pretty darn good CCW.

All the versions are cut for a red dot sight.

They generally run just under $600, so you'll have plenty left over to pick up a red dot for it.
    Target Sports

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Having owned several in the past, I was strictly speaking from my own personal observations. I was not gifted with large hands, but I do have long fingers, so gripping them for me still seems like a holding a 2x4 in my hand.
    Yeah, I have big hands, and the 92FS is still kind of chunky to me. I like them a lot, but I can definetly see how that grip could be a problem for some people.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    not a good choice for a first gun imho. shoots verrrry nice, but aftermarket is nonexistent, Beretta has stopped (or heavily limited) exporting guns and parts for a while now...the PX4 is sort of like the Steyr pistols...great guns, great ergos, absolute garbage support and scarce parts.
    LTT and MGW have parts consistently, as does Beretta's estore and midway USA. PX4 storms are pretty much everywhere. Seriously, I've never seen an academy without at least 5 of them.

It's got enough of an aftermarket to get what you need, sights, holsters...

Similar situation to every other handgun that isn't a 1911 or a Glock.

And for a new gun owner, a smaller than Glock aftermarket is a good thing

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    LTT and MGW have parts consistently, as does Beretta's estore and midway USA. PX4 storms are pretty much everywhere. Seriously, I've never seen an academy without at least 5 of them.

It's got enough of an aftermarket to get what you need, sights, holsters...

Similar situation to every other handgun that isn't a 1911 or a Glock.

And for a new gun owner, a smaller than Glock aftermarket is a good thing
    Yeah. You said it first. A lot of guns have more part support than people think. Just gotta know who.

RedClayCherries

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2022
    Houston Texas
    I would agree with those above who said see what feels good in your hand and go from there.

My recommended starting list around $700:
    Sig P320
    Sig P365XL
    Beretta 92
    H&K VP9
    Walther PPQ
    Glock 17/19/19X
    Springfield XDM

More economical but still good quality:
    Sig SP2022
    Ruger Security 9
    Canick TP9
    RIA 1911

Maybe find a range that rents handguns and try a few out first.
    I appreciate your input. This is a great starting point.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    For the price point, I recommend a like new Colt Series 70 1911 Commander or Full Size or a Series 80 Officer Model and research how to pick a good one.

Top Bottom