• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I see you have chosen the path of what-if and coulda-woulda...

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    As have you. Having a gun in the car doesn't mean it will be stolen, in fact it is not the overwhelming majority of the time.

I was just following you.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am not saying he was anything other than a brave man who acted with courage to stop this.

However even brave men can hesitate when their OODA loop gets disrupted and that's what I saw and still see after watching it several times closely. He had 3-4 seconds after he recognized the threat and stood up to draw and fire, but he fumbled with his draw, then was slow to bring the gun up to fire.

If you want to leave the fight fight or freeze out of it, that's fine its an observation and suspicion, but the fact is he took too long to draw and get accurate rounds on target and lost the fight.

I don't know what video you are watching.

As soon as the shotgun appears he starts standing up and reaching back.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I don't know what video you are watching.

As soon as the shotgun appears he starts standing up and reaching back.
    Time it... and even with the gun in his hand he is slow to bring the gun to a firing position. It was a training failure, had he trained (I assume) he would have changed where he carried or at least improved his draw speed. Maybe it was as fast as he could move, but it looks like hesitation after he draws his own weapon.

The slowness, combined with the "drop it drop it" I see a mindset failure where he carried (good) but didn't train enough (bad) and didn't expect to have to actually shoot anyone (bad). He had the mindset to act, but a lack of planning and what looks to me a lack of committal (mindset again), got him and another person killed.

It partially reminds me of the Trooper Vetter shooting ( ) Mindset again...

popsgarland

Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2011
    DFW area
    Just watched the news"again" and Jack Wilson is a retired FBI agent.
    Just wondering how many people, here, that has the training,or be able, to react to a situation like this within 5 seconds and take out the shooter. I know people run it through their mind what they would do, But how many could do it in the time frame that Mr. Wilson did?

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    So is that agreeing it was mindset or just a jab at me?

Just saying that I can't remember how many times I was watching a football game and said "I can throw a ball better than that!", and maybe I could, but then I didn't take into account that there are a half dozen huge guys at that time wanting to flatten me.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Time it... and even with the gun in his hand he is slow to bring the gun to a firing position. It was a training failure, had he trained (I assume) he would have changed where he carried or at least improved his draw speed. Maybe it was as fast as he could move, but it looks like hesitation after he draws his own weapon.

WTF. Just because one cannot draw as fast as Max Michel does not make it a training failure. Active Self Protection guy timed it at 3.1 seconds.

but didn't train enough (bad) and didn't expect to have to actually shoot anyone (bad). He had the mindset to act, but a lack of planning and what looks to me a lack of committal (mindset again), got him and another person killed.
    LOL, you know how much he trained, what his mindset was, what he was commitment was, etc. Have you ever considered maybe he had the flu, a pulled muscle, or perhaps there were other reasons why he was slow that day?

Wildcat Diva

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2016
    I myself, could see there being a second of, “wait, this isn’t happening, surely this person isn’t really going to do this. No way I’m going to have to draw on him, just wait a second, he can be calmed down.”

At least that’s what flashed in my head. Being an RN, that’s the guy we are talking about yeah?, maybe an RN or other “helper,” might think something like that.

This is good training for me, because obviously no one has time for thoughts like that. You have to decide in a fraction of a second what to do. You don’t have two seconds for ANYTHING extraneous.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    WTF. Just because one cannot draw as fast as Max Michel does not make it a training failure. Active Self Protection guy timed it at 3.1 seconds.

LOL, you know how much he trained, what his mindset was, what he was commitment was, etc. Have you ever considered maybe he had the flu, a pulled muscle, or perhaps there were other reasons why he was slow that day?
    3.1 second to just get the gun OUT is WAY too flipping slow... he showed exactly why unfortunately.

I am no who ever that max is, but I can and do draw and fire from concealed in <2sec... it was a training failure to fumble with his pistol, then a mindset or training issue to be so slow to present it for firing... I don't know why you have a beef with that. It is the most reasonable and likely option with out wandering down your what-if trail.

I did consider other reasons he may have don't that, but training and mindset are the most reasonable and seem to match what I see. If make excuses for bad training or poor mindset, you won't learn.

Step by step because I am a simple man here...
    -what do you see during the draw
    -what do you see during the presentation

Instead of making up excuses like maybe he had the flu etc, point to something in the video that makes you think that was actually the case.

I have training, experience and evidence that leads me to believe the first victim was handicapped by training and mindset. You, so far as I have seen, have nothing but excuses and maybes. Please state your case if you have one.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am no who ever that max is, but I can and do draw and fire from concealed in >2sec...

Well then you would be dead too. When a shotgun is pointed at you, the chance you can draw from concealment while sitting and shoot the guy before he pulls the trigger is near 0.

it was a training failure to fumble with his pistol, then a mindset or training issue to be so slow to present it for firing...

This just in -

The best trained people in the world, still make mistakes.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Dont let yourselves be drawn into arguments over who does what better or trained or didnt etc. Take away for yourself what you need and apply it.

No one can out draw a 12 gage already pointed at you. Sorry you just cant. At that point something went wrong.
    You can however stand up and close the distance to a guy dressed like that in church who gets up when most people dont. You are now close enough that he cant bring a 12 gage up with you all over him.

People need to be aware. Trust your gut.
    Start watching people around you. Become aware. Notice people who are watching others.

Again trust your gut. Dont abdicate responsibility to protect yourself to others. I'll say it again you dont have to bow your head and close your eyes to pray. You do have to do that to put yourself at the whim of those who would do you harm. Your relationship with god is a personal one not dependent on the opinion of others watching you pray.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Thanks, R. Saved me the trouble of a long reply to the bicyclist.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Step by step because I am a simple man here...
    -what do you see during the draw
    -what do you see during the presentation

I see a 67 yo man staring down the bbl of a 12GA, while seated and his carry gun is deep below 2 layers of clothing. Getting a gun out in 3.1 seconds, while slow, is remarkable under those conditions. Most folks probably would not even draw under those circumstances, as death is a near certainty.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom