• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Dont let yourselves be drawn into arguments over who does what better or trained or didnt etc. Take away for yourself what you need and apply it.

No one can out draw a 12 gage already pointed at you. Sorry you just cant. You can however stand up and close the distance to a guy dressed like that in church who gets up when most people dont. You are now close enough that he cant bring a 12 gage up with you all over him.

People need to be aware. Trust your gut.
    Start watching people around you. Become aware. Notice people who are watching others.

Again trust your gut.
    I was discussing this and we both thought he was close enough for a charge to be a viable option. Not second guessing attempting a draw, just saying there may have been other options.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Ah, turns out I was wrong about the shooter probably being an Irish Traveler. I just went with "transient, with roots in W. S. area"? Must be one of them! Which turns out was incorrect.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    No one who acted failed.

Think about that.

No one who prepares and carries fails. We all have a similar path of learning and discovery and in this subject that ALWAYS includes the death or injury of others. There is a reason we choose to carry. Usually because of something that happens to someone else.

The failure is not learning from these things. Like I said earlier, Learning brings meaning to loss. It's the only meaning you can find to senseless evil acts.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    When I was younger, much younger, I could out draw a lot of people. By 35, that was no longer true. At 62, not only am I slower, but I have had to change how I carry and how I draw. From some positions with some handguns I have to now carry butt forward or I can not even get them out of the holster due to bad joints.
    The first 2 victims do not appear to be young men. None of knows what kind of joint or muscle injuries they have or have had that interfered with their draw. Or their mindset. Only that they lost to a person that already had a gun out and pointed at them. And obviously ready and willing to shoot.

Fast is relative. And no matter how fast you are, it may not be fast enough.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    No one who acted failed.

Think about that.

No one who prepares and carries fails. We all have a similar path of learning and discovery and in this subject that ALWAYS includes the death or injury of others. There is a reason we choose to carry. Usually because of something that happens to someone else.

The failure is not learning from these things. Like I said earlier, Learning brings meaning to loss. It's the only meaning you can find to senseless evil acts.
    I agree. They volunteered to protect other innocents in that church to keep them from getting hurt or killed.
    Win or lose the draw, that is exactly what they accomplished.
    They deserve nothing but respect.
    The only failure would have been to do nothing.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    People need to be aware. Trust your gut.
    Start watching people around you. Become aware. Notice people who are watching others.

Again trust your gut. Dont abdicate responsibility to protect yourself to others.

This is the take away, all the badassery is just noise. Renegade, jrbfishn and others are right, no one on this forum knows what physical challenges might be at play here. He stood his ground and you self appointed high speed low drag operators can keep your "he shoulda's" for telling stories with your drinking buddies.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    I agree. They volunteered to protect other innocents in that church to keep them from getting hurt or killed.
    Win or lose the draw, that is exactly what they accomplished.
    They deserve nothing but respect.
    The only failure would have been to do nothing.

^^^THIS^^^ And only this. He made a commitment and he kept it. I saw God given courage.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Who's that?
    tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
      tenor.gif
      33.6 KB · Views: 375

DarkwingDuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    source: https://heavy.com/news/2019/12/keith-thomas-kinnunen/

Some interesting bits of info:

“The apparently homeless gunman who killed two worshipers Sunday had been helped with food on several occasions by the West Freeway church, but he became angry when they wouldn’t give him money, minister Britt Farmer told me. He wasn’t recognized Sunday because he wore disguises,” Bobby Ross Jr., the editor of The Christian Chronicle, tweeted.

[KTK] has a long rap sheet in numerous different cities across America dating back to 1998. He’s been arrested and charged numerous times in Tucson, Arizona, Fort Worth, Texas, and Grady County, Oklahoma, where he was arrested in a domestic violence case in 2011 and charged with felony aggravated assault and battery. He later pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor assault and battery charge and was sentenced to 90 days in jail and given credit for already serving that time. In 2012, he was arrested again in Oklahoma and charged with third-degree arson. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to jail time in that case.

A reported by My Central Jersey, in September 2016,Around 4:30 p.m., police responded to Lower Road near the city public works garage for a report of a suspicious person on a bicycle. The resident reported a man photographing the oil tank field at the Phillips 66 refinery, which seemed suspicious. He told police he was homeless and liked taking photos while traveling around the country.

Police found [KTK] had a contempt of court warrant in Oklahoma for felony aggravated assault. While checking his property, police also found a Mossberg .12 gauge shotgun and rounds wrapped in plastic. He was arrested and charged with unlawful possession of a weapon. He was taken to Union County Jail in Elizabeth and held on $20,000 bail. He later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge.

In case ya missed it --

Mossberg .12 gauge shotgun
    And the fine folks in New Jersey, fucking up ammunition descriptions since 1923.

DWD

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    A viable question might be "How many of us on this thread have had a gun pulled on us in total surprise and how long did it take our brain to process what was actually happening?". Targets and obstacles are one thing, a deadly threat is another.

Many years ago I was sitting behind the counter of a convenience store when a perp pulled a gun while my friend was ringing him up. It was a total surprise because the guy was well dressed, friendly and was in the process of making a normal purchase of a loaf of bread and some milk. He got the drop on us and it took me about two seconds to process the incident by which time the gun barrel was about 12 inches from my friend's face. My 1911 was in my shoulder holster (it was cold weather) but I decided any move on my part would likely mean my friend's death so I did not move but sat poised to draw if the opportunity arose. My friend handed over the money and the guy spun around and was out the door by the time my gun was drawn. If he had intended to shoot there was no way I could have stopped him before he got a shot off.

He had someone driving with the engine running and the door open so by the time we got around the counter the car was leaving the parking lot.

My point is that this was real life, a real threat and a total surprise that cost me the time to prevent the incident. Had I pulled my weapon at the instant he reached for his gun it might have been a draw but that was improbable since he could have just been reaching for his wallet like hundreds of other customers.

Unless you are a combat instructor or have been in a number of close quarter combat situations, instant response most likely means 3-5 seconds for most of us. To repeat from my earlier post, these folks did as good as could be expected.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Reviewing the video makes me think what would be an appropriate carry rig for occasions that require semi-formal dress(such as church, or say a wedding)?
    You couldn't pull off OWB or even IWB without a jacket.
    The jacket makes it much more difficult.
    Pocket carry works but really restricts one to a small gun.
    Shoulder holster under jacket

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom