• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    On a walkabout, we encountered an aggressive Rottweiler that was allowed to run loose in our neighborhood... one of our friends lived across the street from the dog, and said nobody would file a report/complaint. That didn't work for me!

If more neighbors would have called in a complaint and if local govt actually did something about it, this man loosing his legs may have been avoided!!!
    Civil court worked for me and my neighbor's. Took owner to court with neighbors for witnesses. Dog was declared a dangerous dog. Dog had to neutered, chipped, owner had to purchase additional insurance, signs posted on both sides of the house and an approved cage to house the dog. Dog had to be on a leash at all times and was supposed to wear a dangerous dog collar. Animal control was supposed to pay a visit once a year to check.
    Texas SOT

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Civil court worked for me and my neighbor's. Took owner to court with neighbors for witnesses. Dog was declared a dangerous dog. Dog had to neutered, chipped, owner had to purchase additional insurance, signs posted on both sides of the house and an approved cage to house the dog. Dog had to be on a leash at all times and was supposed to wear a dangerous dog collar. Animal control was supposed to pay a visit once a year to check.
    Funny how much all that sounds like gun laws but all the owner has to do is keep being irresponsible.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I can read the news just like anyone else. There is no question that they have attacked and killed people, but put the blame where it belongs, on the irresponsible dog owners.

And show some credible sources that prove pit bulls were bred to be attack dogs.

Today’s pit bull is a descendant of the original English bull-baiting dog—a dog that was bred to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head. When baiting large animals was outlawed in the 1800s, people turned instead to fighting their dogs against each other. These larger, slower bull-baiting dogs were crossed with smaller, quicker terriers to produce a more agile and athletic dog for fighting other dogs.

I'd also seriously question whether you honestly know what a real pit bull is. But it's easy for ill-informed or misinformed people like yourself to make such comments.
    I don't think anyone is issuing a blanket condemnation of the breed. Rather saying that some breeds are more prone to these problems.

Plenty of dog breeds have lousy owners. Yet many breeds don't attack people even with lousy owners.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    For me it's not going to change I'm always going to have a phobia. I'm not going to therapy for it all I pleaded is just keep them on a leash or just away from me.
    Some owners think that it's OK to let them run free cool your right no problem but if they attack me well different story..
    My wingman talked me into letting him Have a dog outta love for him I gave in a French bulldog. IN MY HOUSE DAMMIT. but he stays away from me I stay away from him.
    We have a mutual understanding the first time he tried to bite me he dies..
    But I won't hurt him..when he is gone I feed him water but he has a place to pee and poop wingman is responsible for cleaning up after it.
    So.im not a hartless bastard.

But as far as any other dog I trust them not.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I don't think anyone is issuing a blanket condemnation of the breed. Rather saying that some breeds are more prone to these problems.

Plenty of dog breeds have lousy owners. Yet many breeds don't attack people even with lousy owners.
    And there in lies the root of the problem. And dog if aggressive enough can inflict damage to a person.

I'm not going to deny, or refute that some breeds are large enough and can be more aggressive that others, but it still falls upon the shoulder's of the owners to realize this and to take appropriate actions to control their dogs.

We can debate dog breeds until the sun goes down, but I have been around and have owned so-called "dangerous" dog breeds most of my life, even grew up with them with my father. The ultimate responsibility is the dog's owner, not the dog.

If you don't, or can't control your dog, that's on the owner not the dog or the breed. Some people just should not have dogs in first place, regardless of the breed or size of the dog. Same can be said about some gun owners. But that's a different argument.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    We can debate dog breeds until the sun goes down, but I have been around and have owned so-called "dangerous" dog breeds most of my life, even grew up with them with my father. The ultimate responsibility is the dog's owner, not the dog.
    There is no denying that certain dog breeds genetically have certain characteristics irregardless of the owner. These characteristics have been bred into the dog. One might even say that a dog lacking in the bred characteristics is a defective dog. For example hunting dogs that demand high dollar because they are good hunters. My Boston Terrier bred as a lapdog for grandma will never be a hunter. As dog owners we are responsible for our dogs and we can enhance their genetic traits with training but we can not deny that there are certain breeds that are meant to be watch dogs, some are meant to fight, some are meant to guard the flock, etc. We place a priority on dogs that have breeding of desired traits. It is obvious that a dog that has been bred to fight is more likely to fight than a dog bred to be a lapdog.
    I once owned an Akita. Good in the yard with the family and our other dogs but he kept getting out of the yard no matter what I did. Had to be put down. I couldn't trust him with strangers or other dogs. Broke my heart but I didn't trust him with others.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Rotor, good post. I was going to use an akita for a previous post but chose not to. I could tell right away they are not for everyone and if some breeds became more popular, I don’t think a Pitbull would be number one in attacks.

Your post is just providing more insight into why owners have to be aware of what they own and what further responsibilities they have.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    More to cams point: my Pitbull felt like protesting being in a kennel without one of the other dogs. The strength it took bend all that steel is impressive. It’s a reminder of what kind of combat would be required to deal with a dog hands on.

These dogs have retard strength.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I cant believe how many people let their dogs just wander around. Ruins the hunting
    Old friend of mine live south of Eze. I remember more then a few time going up to bow hunt & he would hand over his AK. Only dogs that were not shoot on sight were his dogs. And said thing was they all had collars, few people dump dogs with their info on them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That happens all the time.
    They are typically very protective.

Just never enough damage caused to warrant any mention.

To add to this, we rescued a chihuahua, and it instantly bonded with my GF.

It didn't like me getting close to her, and would let me know.

Unfortunately it had to be put down shortly after, due to a hip injury.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    There was an Austin lawyer who bought land in Wyoming (or Montana). The neighbors had bison. The bison would walk through or over the fences agitating the lawyer so he finally had enough and hired some hunters to shoot the bison the next time it happened.

Some bison did, the lawyer did, and the hunters did. The lawyer and the hunters were arrested and prosecuted as there was a state law against what the lawyer and the hunters did.

Bison burgers, YAY!!!

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun

Yep, we took the owners to court on the complaint. Pretty much the same ruling, slightly less.

Another incident with the same dog on a main connector street just around the corner where the male owner was working construction. Dumb ass!!! Back to court we went... can you believe we had to do it twice???? More drastic restrictions this time and a warning that the dog would be destroyed on a third strike. ............... They moved somewhere else. YAY!!

The female dog owner actually said this is the countryside... and wanted to know if we were Californians... no, I'm just not stupid enough to think a residential development/housing tract is countryside where dogs can run free... and where problem dogs (and neighbors) get shot.

Top Bottom