• dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    In your initial post...

"At the range it fired without issue".
    The incorrect part was when the commenter said I took it home and dissembled it at which point is when the malfunctions started. The malfunctions started after live firing but BEFORE disassembly. And continued after reassembly.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The incorrect part was when the commenter said I took it home and dissembled it at which point is when the malfunctions started. The malfunctions started after live firing but BEFORE disassembly. And continued after reassembly.

You don't mention having any issues until after you cleaned and disassembled it.

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Ok. So this is what’s happening. First and second round are catching as seen in photo. After cycling the rounds to find a solution, it seems a fully loaded mag is my problem, at least with hollow points. Also pictured is the round after cycling them through a few times. As you can see, they are being pushed back into the casing due to slamming against the wall of the magazine well when attempting to cycle. I tried with just 7 rounds and it cycles just fine. Boutta head to the range to see how it works in a live fire situation. Will update after.

Attachments

• IMG_7918.jpeg
      IMG_7918.jpeg
      213.8 KB · Views: 29
    • IMG_7919.jpeg
      IMG_7919.jpeg
      205.3 KB · Views: 29

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    You don't mention having any issues until after you cleaned and disassembled it.
    Went back and read my post and you are correct, that is what I said however I misstated. Prior to disassembly the same malfunctions were happening. I apologize. I found the malfunction when loading the hollow points when I got home, hence why I was so eager to take it apart and clean it, figured maybe it needed some hawk tuah to get er goin. However, def seems to either be a mag or round selection issue.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Cycling rounds a few times through a weapon functioning properly will cause them to be pushed back into the casing.

Otto_Mation

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2020
    Montgomery, TX
    Ok. So this is what’s happening. First and second round are catching as seen in photo. After cycling the rounds to find a solution, it seems a fully loaded mag is my problem, at least with hollow points. Also pictured is the round after cycling them through a few times. As you can see, they are being pushed back into the casing due to slamming against the wall of the magazine well when attempting to cycle. I tried with just 7 rounds and it cycles just fine. Boutta head to the range to see how it works in a live fire situation. Will update after.
    That is a nose dive jam that I described in a previous post and is a magazine issue. See post #42

Here is a crude video that demonstrates the issue.

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Cycling rounds a few times through a weapon functioning properly will cause them to be pushed back into the casing.
    Yes, however I have never seen them push back THIS extreme after only a few cyclings. The ones pictured on the far right are the ones that I alternated as first rounds whereas the others I kept towards the end of the magazine. Def seems like the depression into the casing is being caused from the round dipping downwards and catching.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Recently picked up a RIA Patriot 1911. The day after buying it, brand new from Academy btw, I took it to the range. Prior to the range I grabbed some range ammo and decided on Speer Gold Dot for my defense ammo.

At the range it fired without issue. I also test fired an entire mag of the Speer Gold Dot to ensure it feeds well as I know some hollow points are stubborn for various reasons.

Fast forward 2 days and I’m cleaning my weapons. Once everything is cleaned and lubed, I load the factory mag with the Gold Dot. Went to slide forward and it catches. Try again and it catches. I then decide to slap-rack and after the second slap rack it’s chambered.

I looked down into the chamber on the catches and it appeared as though the hollow point went nose down and was resting against the area under the barrel.

Completely lubed and cleaned… Factory mag issue? Ammo? Gun? Sorry for the long post but wanted as much info as possible for the best informed opinions. TIA.

Edit: the Gold Dot fed without issue while firing the weapon. Just wanted to add that in case it matters to the overall solution.
    Well if it was working fine what did you clean it for? Rocks need the extra carbon to take up clearances ;)

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    That is a nose dive jam that I described in a previous post and is a magazine issue. See post #42
    Yup! Hence why I followed your advice and downloaded one round and the malfunctions stopped! Greatly appreciate the insight! Gonna take it to the range and hopefully they have some Wilson Combat mags they can sell me. Quick question, should I attempt to send the ones deep seated in the casings though or could that result in a catastrophic malfunction during live fire?

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Well if it was working fine what did you clean it for? Rocks need the extra carbon to take up clearances ;)
    It wasn’t working fine lol. I mean yes it shot and cycled fine at the range. When I got home, I loaded the factory mag with the hollow points and did not intend on taking it apart to clean it that night UNTIL the malfunction happened when attempting to chamber the HP. So the malfunctions happened BEFORE I took the weapon apart for the first time.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Yup! Hence why I followed your advice and downloaded one round and the malfunctions stopped! Greatly appreciate the insight! Gonna take it to the range and hopefully they have some Wilson Combat mags they can sell me. Quick question, should I attempt to send the ones deep seated in the casings though or could that result in a catastrophic malfunction during live fire?
    I would NOT fire the rounds shown to the right without 1. a ransom rest, and 2. someone elses pistol.

They are guaranteed over pressure.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Or if you reload just pull the bullets. I agree it is probably the mag but I would send the whole thing back to the manufacturer as their warranty only holds with the factory mag.
    Just picked up ammo and a WC mag at academy. Also picked up some cheap brass cased HP to check function of the flat nose issue. Like sierra HP or something. Looks cheap and was cheap lol

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Def magazine. It happened with FMJ as well. The Wilson combat mag not a single malfunction. Feeds just fine. I’ll probably order an aftermarket spring and replace the factory one and try it again.
    Good news.

Regarding the mag, RIA will warrant it.

If you decide to fix it, do a spring/follower combo. But, be prepared to tweak/adjust feed lips as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom