• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Just to be clear, you get the FTF when you "went to slide forward," and this is when you have a hold of the slide and are easing the slide forward slowly into battery position right?

When you "slap-rack," and do not get the FTF, this is when you pull the slide back, then let it go for return to battery fully under power of the recoil spring?
    I never ease it. And hardly ever use the slide release. I always try to release the slide the same way everytime to develop muscle memory. I just pull back and let go. As for the slap rack, I don’t even get to the rack part on the second go, just the slap is enough for the slide to go forward and a round to chamber. It may be due to what others have stated as far as the low seated mags in the RIA. Imma try a Wilson combat mag and see if that fixes the issue first. Got a buddy who’s a gunsmith so if modifications are needed then I’ll go that route. It’s a $600 piece of art for me. Not an EDC or duty carry. Firing at the range has had zero issues for approximately 3 or 4 mags including HP. Imma take it again on my days off coming and run at least 100 through it. See what happens then.

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Something seems to have changed if it ran fine at range. lubed? assembled correctly? Spring kinked/ barrel bushing not seated (pic)?

I clean my new mags w acetone and wax them inside and out with McGuiars car wax.

View attachment 467556
    View attachment 467557
    Possible, however prior to disassembling it for cleaning, it had said issues. And a function check after assembly showed it functioned just fine MINUS the failure to feed.

Last edited:

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I recently picked up a ria 1911 and had mag issues as well. Factory mag worked fine. Promag did not. I know better than to buy that crap but was on a budget at academy and got it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    I recently picked up a ria 1911 and had mag issues as well. Factory mag worked fine. Promag did not. I know better than to buy that crap but was on a budget at academy and got it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Haven’t tried a P Mag. Just factory.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I think RIA 1911s are all steel, anyway mine are. They may require a break in period of 250 to 500 rounds. After that it may work just fine with any decent FMJ or HP ammo. Also tryother mags as others have suggested. Try othe HP ammo as well.
    Break in period? 250 to 500 rounds? I would send the gun back for repair and let RIA break it in. Their website says their warranty is only with brass FMJ ammo and the ORIGINAL factory magazine. Seems strange that only warranty is with the original magazine. I have a Ruger SR1911 and it takes everything.

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Are they still sending MecGar mags from the factory? They're usually pretty good quality. It does sound like a magazine issue though. My RIA 1911A1 has never had a FTF.
    I have no clue honestly. I’m decently versed in glocks and sigs. 1911’s is a new learning experience for me. Would it say on the mag somewhere?

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    Recently picked up a RIA Patriot 1911. The day after buying it, brand new from Academy btw, I took it to the range. Prior to the range I grabbed some range ammo and decided on Speer Gold Dot for my defense ammo.

At the range it fired without issue. I also test fired an entire mag of the Speer Gold Dot to ensure it feeds well as I know some hollow points are stubborn for various reasons.

Fast forward 2 days and I’m cleaning my weapons. Once everything is cleaned and lubed, I load the factory mag with the Gold Dot. Went to slide forward and it catches. Try again and it catches. I then decide to slap-rack and after the second slap rack it’s chambered.

I looked down into the chamber on the catches and it appeared as though the hollow point went nose down and was resting against the area under the barrel.

Completely lubed and cleaned… Factory mag issue? Ammo? Gun? Sorry for the long post but wanted as much info as possible for the best informed opinions. TIA.

Edit: the Gold Dot fed without issue while firing the weapon. Just wanted to add that in case it matters to the overall solution.
    sounds like a magazine issue, I recommend using wilson combat, ed brown, or chip mccormick magazines.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have no clue honestly. I’m decently versed in glocks and sigs. 1911’s is a new learning experience for me. Would it say on the mag somewhere?

Should...somewhere. I'll try to remember to look at mine tomorrow - it's late, and while I'm heading that direction, it's only because that's where the bed is as well.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Many of the "tighter" fit 1911s say they need break-in, Baer, Dan Wesson and the others. The original design called for looser tolerances so that parts were more Interchangeable without fitting...mil spec as it were.

Here's my suggestion on new 1911s. Take a 1911 that runs, modify it until it doesn't. Blame the gun then sell it to me for a substantial loss. I got probably half my 1911s that way and they all run fine for me.

Run it heavy on oil as 1911s like lots of oil.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    If it won't run with a Wilson ETM magazine, there is a problem with the gun. Sometimes even with a problem with the gun it will run fine with a Wilson ETM. Here is a link to the best of the best:

What Otto said. Years ago I switched to Wilson ETM mags and haven't used anything else since.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    This. All of mine either ran out of the box or didn't. If it was the latter it was sent back to the manufacture to be addressed.
    If you expect a gun to run out of the box without any break in, you probably don't want an Ed Brown pistol. Several of my pistols needed a short break in however the Ed Brown took about a half dozen trips to the range before it became dependable.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Lower end 1911's such as the RIA and the TISAS will need some break in.
    Parts are covered with the coarse parkerized type finish material and need to be run enough to wear that away.
    It shouldn't take more than a couple/three hundred rounds to wear them in.
    I had a couple of TISAS GI style 1911's that had minor issues until they wore in.
    OP, get some standard 230grn RNFMJ and go shoot the snot out of your new gun.
    As others have stated, try some different HP ammo. See what your gun likes and doesn't like.
    IMO, Wilson and/or McCormick mags are the gold standard. If your 1911 fails to work with either of these there is something else wrong(probably the extractor)
    Do not go grinding on anything. That is the last of the last of resorts.

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    If you expect a gun to run out of the box without any break in, you probably don't want an Ed Brown pistol. Several of my pistols needed a short break in however the Ed Brown took about a half dozen trips to the range before it became dependable.
    Interesting. Never owned an EB, their stainless finish is really nice. No issues out of the box with Wilson, Nighthawk, Les Baer. Had one issue with a Guncrafter not feeding JHP properly which they fixed with no issue. No issues with Dan Wesson or Ruger either.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Spending lots of money for a gun that wont shoot out of the box boggles my mind. Excusing the failure as evidence of "nice" is absurd.

Not saying you have to run a Glock, but if the gun doesn't run out of the box there is a manufacturing problem even if it can be corrected. End of story.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    How to break in a low end 1911

Step 1 obtain rocks. The more the better. Ideally you'll want a pile thats a good 4 feet high.

Step 2 obtain dirt road and car

Step 3 using your best throwing arm, introduce the pistol to the pile of rocks. Pro tip! One trip to the rock pile might not cut it, don't be afraid to show it what a real man can do!

Step 4 using the dirt road and car, run it over multiple times. Pro tip! God gave you 4 wheels, so you might as well use them.

Fun fact! The "1911" in "M1911" is actually not the yeat the pistol was adopted, instead, this actually refers to how many malfunctions they had per magazine during testing.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    mosingirl
    Top Bottom