• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    But OPs problem does not read like it's break in related. It reads like a magazine issue.

To the reason for my post ... 1911s perform best when the shooter uses a firm hold. I submit that many break in issues are solved by shooters developing an appropriate grip.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
    Agree on the mag issue.

I have intentionally tried to make a 1911 malfunction by using a loose grip. Just enough to avoid having the gun fly out of my hand. Never could get a malfunction.

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area
    First, I would never consider any handgun as 'proven' after only firing one magazine of the ammo that I intended to carry it with. I would first want to have several hundred failure-free rounds of FMJ through the gun, and each magazine. Then, I would want a minimum of 100 failure-free rounds (of carry ammo) through each magazine, for a total of at least 200 additional rounds through the gun. Yes, that gets expensive at $1+ per round. What's your life worth?

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    First, I would never consider any handgun as 'proven' after only firing one magazine of the ammo that I intended to carry it with. I would first want to have several hundred failure-free rounds of FMJ through the gun, and each magazine. Then, I would want a minimum of 100 failure-free rounds (of carry ammo) through each magazine, for a total of at least 200 additional rounds through the gun. Yes, that gets expensive at $1+ per round. What's your life worth?
    Was talking to a fed at the range, he said to qualify they need to fire 1000 rounds total, 700 needs to be JHP carry ammo.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    this all went bad after cleaning, did OP strip and clean his mag? my RIAs all came with ACT or metalform magazines.

even the best magazine made will work poorly if put together wrong.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Maybe that's why people buy Glocks. What do you think about ops gun failures right from the start? I still think his gun should go back to the factory and note that the factory only warrants his gun using the factory magazine.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Maybe that's why people buy Glocks. What do you think about ops gun failures right from the start? I still think his gun should go back to the factory and note that the factory only warrants his gun using the factory magazine.

Right from the start?
    Did you read his post?
    He took a new gun shooting. It ran ball and hollow point ammo without one malfunction.
    Then he took it home and “cleaned it”. Then he tried to load it and suffered nose down FTF and made it feed by doing “slap racks” (whatever that is).
    Basically:
    He took a perfectly running machine and MADE IT MALFUNCTION. Something got taken appart and put together wrong.

I agree, he should send it back to RIA. They’ll put it back the way it should be.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Maybe that's why people buy Glocks.

Why buy something that pretty much has remained in its same, basic brick form as when it was released in 1982?!?

1723725902245.png

Better yet, buy one of the many other modern semi-automatic pistols that also run reliably!

Nicholst55

Retired, Twice.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Houston Area

Send it back and get it sorted. The replace it with a gun that will run with any quality magazine.

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    Right from the start?
    Did you read his post?
    He took a new gun shooting. It ran ball and hollow point ammo without one malfunction.
    Then he took it home and “cleaned it”. Then he tried to load it and suffered nose down FTF and made it feed by doing “slap racks” (whatever that is).
    Basically:
    He took a perfectly running machine and MADE IT MALFUNCTION. Something got taken appart and put together wrong.

I agree, he should send it back to RIA. They’ll put it back the way it should be.
    Incorrect. The malfunctions were happening prior to disassembly.

“Slap rack” is a quick way to attempt to clear a malfunction on a handgun. Slap the mag to ensure proper seating then rack to slide to clear the malfunction.

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

dpd11413

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    San Antonio TX
    A sig 365 for off duty concealment and a gen 5 Glock 17 for duty carry. The 1911 was bought as a range gun/something pretty to look at lol.

Top Bottom