• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Everyone should have known it was unsafe. There is a reason that noone uses carbon fiber in deep sea submersibles. And that arrogant CEO Stockton Rush should have been a red flag.

Yeah, all his bragging about being a "rule breaker" when the rules he was breaking...had to do with water pressure and structural integrity of materials. I have to believe he had a suicide wish. Simple arrogance going to such stupid extremes is hard to grasp otherwise.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is a reason that noone uses carbon fiber in deep sea submersibles.
    I remember seeing how there was a computer monitor mounted inside. They just put a screw in the hull and hung it from that.

I'm no engineer but even I could only shake my head. Knowing the need for perfect structural integrity, what kind of thinking is "Well, it won't hurt to poke just one little hole in one place."?

Or am I misremembering this whole thing? I'm not going back over 300+ posts to re-familiarize myself with the details.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I remember seeing how there was a computer monitor mounted inside. They just put a screw in the hull and hung it from that.

I'm no engineer but even I could only shake my head. Knowing the need for perfect structural integrity, what kind of thinking is "Well, it won't hurt to poke just one little hole in one place."?

Or am I misremembering this whole thing? I'm not going back over 300+ posts to re-familiarize myself with the details.
    It should never have happened no one should ever risk their life when plenty of knowledge was available about this guy and that his submersibles had never had proper testing by anyone reliable. Even some of his employees said it wasn't safe.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County

The whole damn thing was slapdash. I would like to doubt that the screw was into the pressure hull (it would've failed long before it reached the depth it failed at) but so many bad ideas were put into action...

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Yeah, all his bragging about being a "rule breaker" when the rules he was breaking...had to do with water pressure and structural integrity of materials. I have to believe he had a suicide wish. Simple arrogance going to such stupid extremes is hard to grasp otherwise.
    The laws of physics aren't very flexible.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I would like to doubt that the screw was into the pressure hull (it would've failed long before it reached the depth it failed at) but so many bad ideas were put into action...
    This is what I was remembering. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this.

sub.jpg

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    This is what I was remembering. I cannot vouch for the authenticity of this.

View attachment 474789
    I would assume there's an inner and an outer hull, but seeing as I'm not a submarine designer (and it would appear that the sub designer ALSO wasn't a sub designer), I could be wrong.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ARMSAGORA
    Top Bottom