• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    My two cents:

- Ariats are fake western boots made in China. The company has used Chinese money to buy their way into the pro rodeo circuit and have bought celebrities through clothing and boot contracts.

- Long time American boot companies have outsourced manufacturing to other countries, mostly Mexico. Tony Lama, Double H, Justin and Lucchese are good examples. Most have both US and foreign models in their lineups and are similar to GM, Ford and Chrysler in how they make and market products. US companies using foreign plants to supplement the high cost of manufacturing in the States.

- Over the past 50 years I have worn Acme, Dan Post, Double H, Justin, Lucchese, and Tony Lama. My favorite kickaround daily boots are Justin; my dress boots are Lucchese. I have’t bought a new pair in the last 5 years and the last time I was in Cavendars I left befuddled by all the brands and countries of origin.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    I never was a cowboy boot person but tried a pair for work because I was so disappointed in my Doc Martens work boots. Been wearing Ariats primarily for the last 6 years but also have a pair of Justin in the rotation. Even tried Wolverine boots many years ago that were great at first until the sole split.

Now have a couple of pairs of Ariat boots that I wear when on weekends no steel toe or waterproof. I'm either wearing those or Airwalk shoes only.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Everyday boots, Wolverine. Not your everyday boots, Lucchese. IMG_0441.JPG

GeauxLSU

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2022
    San Antonio
    I need a new pair, and I'm not too happy with what I can find out there right now in my size (14). Maybe I'm just being picky, and maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't care for a lot of the new styles. I like my boots tall, round/medium toed, and leather soled. Most boots I can find now are broad square toed, have thick rubber soles, and a lot are too damn short. About 13" is my preferred length. 11" just doesn't look right to me. I can find some nice dress boots that fit my criteria for about $300. I'm not really too keen on taking those out into a muddy field though.

Oh, and the colors. I don't need my boots to look like pride parade threw up on them. Brown/tobacco is all I want.

The best I've found is a pair of Ariats that fit everything I want except the sole. It's rubber, but at least it's not that thick, deeply grooved sole that they stick on a lot of cowboy boots now. I might just have to settle for those.
    Same sort of preferences. Bought these and while not leather soles, not the obnoxious thick rubber either.

Last edited:

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    They still sell them, and I've had a pair in the past that I wore out the soles on a couple of times.

Most of the one's I've seen available in my size are broad square toes.

For me, it seems like size is the issue. There's not a lot of options when you get up to a size 14. Most boots seem like they just go up to a 13.

Have you considered replacing the soles on your old ones?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    It is one of the advantages of buying quality, well constructed boots......they can be repaired and maintained!

Unless the wrong person repairs them. When I lived in Austin I would take my boots to the Austin Shoe Hospital (I can't remember exactly which location - it was the 90s) to be re-soled. Then one time I took them there, and when I got my boots back the left was was an entire size smaller. And they denied there was a problem, even though the soles were visibly different lengths and the toe on the affected boot was off-center.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Unless the wrong person repairs them. When I lived in Austin I would take my boots to the Austin Shoe Hospital (I can't remember exactly which location - it was the 90s) to be re-soled. Then one time I took them there, and when I got my boots back the left was was an entire size smaller. And they denied there was a problem, even though the soles were visibly different lengths and the toe on the affected boot was off-center.
    Did their insurance pay when the store burned down?

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Personally, I only wear custom-made boots.
    Being in El Paso, there are a lot of boot makers here. I get the pair of boots and the matching belt for around $350.

So many in fact, that I wouldn't be caught dead with Justin or Ariat boots on... lol

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Good to see you are proud of living in Kaufman, TX...
    I myself used to live in Waxahachie, but I prefer it out here.

Well, I don't live in Kaufman. And I'm pretty fed up with the county, so saying I'm "proud of it" is a poor guess. But I've been to El Paso a few times...prefer it here with the trees and less smog (among other things) drifting over from Juarez.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Well, I don't live in Kaufman. And I'm pretty fed up with the county, so saying I'm "proud of it" is a poor guess. But I've been to El Paso a few times...prefer it here with the trees and less smog (among other things) drifting over from Juarez.
    Trees? What are those, lol?
    Your ID says Kaufman County, thus I assumed it was Kaufman, TX since there really isn't much else there. Yes, I know the County you live in and I can attest that the people there are very friendly. Most of us in my circles really don't give "two shakes" about Juarez. I personally haven't been there since 1998, and honestly, the smog doesn't reach far enough north to affect my property(ies). Financially, I am doing much better here than I would in many other places in Texas.

Back to boots: To the OP, have you looked at RocketBuster Boots?
    They can be very pricey depending on the skin or design, but I have an Ostrich pair that are so dang comfortable that you would think you are made with running shoe insoles. Yes, their designs are truly off the wall but don't buy those flashy things. They make normal style boots also that are of quality that is well worth the price.

ETA: dang, I just went to their webpage and their prices on classic styles have gone UP!!!! nevermind. I didn't pay $2.5k for my pair. I think mine were $800 with the belt.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom