• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Walking. I'd love to have some horses to ride, but dang they're expensive.
    A relative had an old farm and I used to go out there in the summer to put up hay and such. I remember farmers talking about someone that was always short of money and one of the old farmers would just say, "Well, they're horse people." Everyone would nod their heads and move along with the conversation. It took me awhile and a few questions before I understood that the implication was that the horses cost a fortune and the people loved their horses despite the fact that they couldn't afford them, and that kept them broke.

I've got one old pair of boots left and I rarely wear them for fear they'll wear out and I'll have to buy new ones. When you have large feet, it's tough to find shoes anyway. If I find a pair that fit, I can order new ones online, but stores just don't stock anything large. I think they use the average foot size in the area and there's a lot of small people, ethnically.

I see a lot of ads for Tecovas and they seem reasonably priced. Anyone try them?

Years ago I worked with a guy from El Paso. When he'd go home to visit his folks (about once a year), people would give him cash to buy boots because it was a lot cheaper than in Houston.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I have had 2 pairs of cowboy boots and they aint for me, so I can't really say much about them. I do believe I would check out places that do boot repairs (the ones where the smell of glue bitches slaps you when you walk in & and you float out) and see if they have repaired boots that people abandoned. The guy I went to in Houston was a Russian Jew whose she was on Stella Link the on South Braeswood. He always had boots for sale.

The wife used a guy over on Bissonette east of Kirby & he had both mens boots & ladies shoes. I guess people dropped the stuff off & then didn't want to pay or were to high when they left to remember.

My guy rebuilt my Birkenstocks until they could no longer take it. Those were the perfect international traveling shoes & were the perfect camp shoe in Africa. And as others have said a custom pair might be more reasonable then you think. My hunting boots are stalking boots from Russell Moccasin and for the comfort very reasonable.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    image.jpg

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I've worn cowboy boots most of my life. I have a pair of Justin Elephant boots that I bought in 1985. I don't think they will ever wear out.
    My dressy boots are a pair of old Tony Lama Black Label boots in black.
    I have a pair of Dan Post boots that were a giveaway from when you could use Marlboro UPC codes to buy stuff.
    About 2 years ago, my wife wanted to go to Goodwill. While we were in there I spied a pair of nice looking boots. They were some older Justin black boots, Size 12D. I wear 11D. These boots were like new, the leather soles were barely scuffed on the bottom, like they were maybe worn only one time. They were priced at $35.
    For some reason, I decided to try them on, knowing that they would be too big. They fit like a glove! I bought them and wear them a lot. I figure that someone bought them for a Size 12 and didn't try them on and they were marked with the wrong size.
    I cannot stand the new square toe boots that are available today. How you gonna kill a cockroach in a corner?

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    A relative had an old farm and I used to go out there in the summer to put up hay and such. I remember farmers talking about someone that was always short of money and one of the old farmers would just say, "Well, they're horse people." Everyone would nod their heads and move along with the conversation. It took me awhile and a few questions before I understood that the implication was that the horses cost a fortune and the people loved their horses despite the fact that they couldn't afford them, and that kept them broke.

I've got one old pair of boots left and I rarely wear them for fear they'll wear out and I'll have to buy new ones. When you have large feet, it's tough to find shoes anyway. If I find a pair that fit, I can order new ones online, but stores just don't stock anything large. I think they use the average foot size in the area and there's a lot of small people, ethnically.

I see a lot of ads for Tecovas and they seem reasonably priced. Anyone try them?

Years ago I worked with a guy from El Paso. When he'd go home to visit his folks (about once a year), people would give him cash to buy boots because it was a lot cheaper than in Houston.

I looked into Tecovas. They're well made boots, but are only meant to be dress/casual boots from what I understand.

Why leather sole over rubber? A thin rubber sole is a lot less slippery on slick surfaces....
    Tradition, feel, personal preference. I just like a leather sole. Once you do the old Texas two step on some rough cement, it takes a lot of the slickness out. I've never had a problem after that.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Those Ariat rubber soles last a long time and they’re soft on the feet. My work boots are brown, round toed Arita’s with the rubber sole and I’ve had them 3-1/2 years. Granted I‘ve only worn them every work for about 2 years of that’s time. I’ve never gotten more than a year out of redwings.
    Same here, except i have square toes.

I've had mine for about 3 years. They hold up very well and are nice and comfy

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Walking. I'd love to have some horses to ride, but dang they're expensive.

Try Boulet. The pair below is short shaft, all leather sole. Toe is more square than I prefer, but I have full-length custom orthotics and need the space. Heel is a little thicker than traditional

They have all-brown combinations and longer shafts.

52acd1000b589ce350bff7c7c1a3b380.jpg

Back to back is a Justin, the Boulet, and a near-20yr old pair of riding heel Lucchese for height reference.
    9152fc13566d784e3d35522e71c75755.jpg

That photo doesn’t show it well, but the Lucchese riding heel is a good 1/4” or more thicker than the other two, and it’s underslung. Great for the job, but leas comfortable to walk in.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    In my younger days I had many boots, even elephant skin. Neuropathy and spinal stenosis have made it almost unbearable to even wear tennis shoes. Loose fitting Crocs and houseshoes, both with padded inserts, is all I can take now. To even think of trying on Cowboy boots makes me say bad words....
    >
    The joys of Old Age !

”Spinal stenosis” is usually amenable to surgical decompression.

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Try Boulet. The pair below is short shaft, all leather sole. Toe is more square than I prefer, but I have full-length custom orthotics and need the space. Heel is a little thicker than traditional

They have all-brown combinations and longer shafts.

52acd1000b589ce350bff7c7c1a3b380.jpg

Back to back is a Justin, the Boulet, and a near-20yr old pair of riding heel Lucchese for height reference.
    9152fc13566d784e3d35522e71c75755.jpg

That photo doesn’t show it well, but the Lucchese riding heel is a good 1/4” or more thicker than the other two, and it’s underslung. Great for the job, but leas comfortable to walk in.
    >
    If going to M L Leddy, or other custom bootmaker, please discuss your personal individual last and the possibility of making your boots with a wider “toe box” than heel area.

Many, or most, of us, as we age, our “forefoot” widens, but not our heels.

That is the main reason why buying “stock” shoe sizes proves unsatisfactory as we get older & more arthritic. To get sufficient room in that area using standard sizes, the heel “slips” when walking.

Good Luck,
    leVieux

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My kids bought me a pair of custom boots in full quill ostrich, appx $700. They didn’t fit so the seller told me to bring them back and he would see about stretching them.

When I got there we talked and he showed me around the shop. Some guy had a pair of Nile Croc boots that needed stretching. After stretching they were too big. He offered them to me for an even trade since they had been worn once.

They fit like a glove. I felt like I’d won the lottery getting a $1200 pair of boots.

The guy is in Waco and you can pick out the leather for your boots. He has a ton of different skins in there. Then the boots are made in El Paso. Great workmanship.

If anyone is interested let me know and I’ll PM you the info.

3F68B42D-2505-48FB-B0AF-980F51E6C2C2.jpeg
    B752F279-D903-4B01-B56B-C8314DCDCAFA.jpeg

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Nocona used to be a good, reasonably priced brand. I have some Nocona's, probably 20 years old or more now. Just keep getting heel caps and half soles as needed.

Again, no recent experience though.

Top Bottom