• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I need a new pair, and I'm not too happy with what I can find out there right now in my size (14). Maybe I'm just being picky, and maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't care for a lot of the new styles. I like my boots tall, round/medium toed, and leather soled. Most boots I can find now are broad square toed, have thick rubber soles, and a lot are too damn short. About 13" is my preferred length. 11" just doesn't look right to me. I can find some nice dress boots that fit my criteria for about $300. I'm not really too keen on taking those out into a muddy field though.

Oh, and the colors. I don't need my boots to look like pride parade threw up on them. Brown/tobacco is all I want.

The best I've found is a pair of Ariats that fit everything I want except the sole. It's rubber, but at least it's not that thick, deeply grooved sole that they stick on a lot of cowboy boots now. I might just have to settle for those.
    Texas SOT

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I need a new pair, and I'm not too happy with what I can find out there right now in my size (14). Maybe I'm just being picky, and maybe I'm too old fashioned, but I don't care for a lot of the new styles. I like my boots tall, round/medium toed, and leather soled. Most boots I can find now are broad square toed, have thick rubber soles, and a lot are too damn short. About 13" is my preferred length. 11" just doesn't look right to me. I can find some nice dress boots that fit my criteria for about $300. I'm not really too keen on taking those out into a muddy field though.

Oh, and the colors. I don't need my boots to look like pride parade threw up on them. Brown/tobacco is all I want.

The best I've found is a pair of Ariats that fit everything I want except the sole. It's rubber, but at least it's not that thick, deeply grooved sole that they stick on a lot of cowboy boots now. I might just have to settle for those.

Yeah, I've got a pair of black Ariats that work pretty well for me. I used to wear Tony Llama bullhide boots - basically the cheapest they made - always solid black. They don't seem to make them anymore, so the Ariats were the closest I could come.

The upside is that tile floors aren't nearly as treacherous on a rainy day as they used to be for me. So I really can't complain too much.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can you still get Tony Llama boots?
    They still sell them, and I've had a pair in the past that I wore out the soles on a couple of times.

Most of the one's I've seen available in my size are broad square toes.

For me, it seems like size is the issue. There's not a lot of options when you get up to a size 14. Most boots seem like they just go up to a 13.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country

Those Ariat rubber soles last a long time and they’re soft on the feet. My work boots are brown, round toed Arita’s with the rubber sole and I’ve had them 3-1/2 years. Granted I‘ve only worn them every work for about 2 years of that’s time. I’ve never gotten more than a year out of redwings.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Boots have become more a trendy affair aka fashion statement than a useful attire. I like good ol Ranch boots/ Wellington style with flat sole and muey comfort. Not good for riding a horse but I don't have one. I've had to order my last three pairs on line. Not a great way to buy footwear.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Last 2 pair I bought were Olathe custom.. medium round toe riding heel 17" shaft,black of course been a while, and I don't ride anymore, hell to walk in but then there riding boots best damn boots I ever owned. Don't know if you can still get em that way?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    You want a walking heel or a riding heel? Go over to San Angelo and visit M.L. Leddy’s and have a custom pair made. Cheaper than you think, especially considering you’ll just re-sole them over time.
    >
    AMEN !

When one considers price, fit, and quality; M. Leddy’s are hard to beat.

I’ve had several pair, I only quit wearing them b/c of progressive arthritis in both feet.

leVieux

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    In my younger days I had many boots, even elephant skin. Neuropathy and spinal stenosis have made it almost unbearable to even wear tennis shoes. Loose fitting Crocs and houseshoes, both with padded inserts, is all I can take now. To even think of trying on Cowboy boots makes me say bad words....

Top Bottom