Not again
    missed.jpg

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Let’s not move the goalposts. Your original statement was Trump has less USSS support than other [former] presidents. That’s not correct. He (and other presumptive major party nominees/nominees) do not get the same level of USSS support as the sitting President. But neither does the Veep nor the Speaker of the House, even when they’re in DC.

Let’s talk about this in detail though. The threat building is owned by AGR International, a manufacturing business. Absent a clear and specific threat, LE - not even USSS - can just waltz in and shut a business down, then sanitize and seal it during a campaign stop. Something in the first ten amendments covers that. The candidate and USSS can ask all they want and the candidate can pay the private business to shut down, but .gov can’t force it just for shits and giggles.

What’s more interesting is that someone couldn’t hit a specific, bigger than average man sized target with a rifle from 130 yds. With multiple shots downrange at that target. But now that the attempt with a rifle has been made, I would expect the threat ring is going to blast out to encompass anything within 1,000m of the X, or roughly 28 million square feet. That’s going to get real expensive real quick or the venues are going to have to change because 20-yr old Thomas Matthew Cooks just changed the calculus for everyone.
    Fine Trump gets all the SS detail he needs. Whatever i don't care.

Did... did you come from a different dimension? Because i just saw a former president take a round to the ear from a guy with an AR from 130 yards away. A person died!

It's the only building within a half mile with unobstructed LOS

People in the crowd SAW HIM ON THE ROOF FOR SEVERAL MINUTES.

You don't have to shut down the business, but you'd figure someone would see the UNOBSTRUCTED BUILDING <150 YARDS AWAY, and say "maybe we sould keep an eye on that".

Whats next? Your old buddies gonna send him down to Dallas in an open top Cadillac? Oh! I hear there some great theaters in D.C.!

They. F'd. Up. 130 yards with a rifle is not excusable.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Absent a clear and specific threat, LE - not even USSS - can just waltz in and shut a business down, then sanitize and seal it during a campaign stop.
    They can try something similar, though, and, at least occasionally, make it stick.

Decades ago, one of our presidents (iirc, Bush the Senior) visited downtown Houston. The only building with lots of people that was relatively uncontrollable and also had a view of the venue was 2016 Main, over 20 stories of condos.

The Secret Service ordered all residents to stay off the balconies, indoors, with the curtains closed. There was, as you might imagine, some pushback on the notion folks could be ordered to not stand on the balcony they owned to get a brief glimpse of their president.

The Secret Service basically let it be known that they would have a sniper assigned solely to watch the condos and that anyone who dared to use their balcony was taking a great risk with their life.

The residents all stayed inside.

Of course, this was a sitting president, not a candidate, so perhaps it's only proof of the fact that candidates get less security.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    They can try something similar, though, and, at least occasionally, make it stick.

Decades ago, one of our presidents (iirc, Bush the Senior) visited downtown Houston. The only building with lots of people that was relatively uncontrollable and also had a view of the venue was 2016 Main, over 20 stories of condos.

The Secret Service ordered all residents to stay off the balconies, indoors, with the curtains closed. There was, as you might imagine, some pushback on the notion folks could be ordered to not stand on the balcony they owned to get a brief glimpse of their president.

The Secret Service basically let it be known that they would have a sniper assigned solely to watch the condos and that anyone who dared to use their balcony was taking their a great risk with their life.

The residents all stayed inside.

Of course, this was a sitting president, not a candidate, so perhaps it's only proof of the fact that candidates get less security.

And thats assuming they're even open. It's the weekend

Which according to their Facebook they are in fact closed every Saturday and Sunday.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx

I don't see how we can come to that conclusion. Yes, this was a total failure, no question, but inexcusable?

They have to screen + watch hundreds/ thousands of attendees, all of whom have much closer shots than the sniper had. They have to screen+watch all the press, who probably have closer seats than most people, and carry big piles of gear that could easily hide weapons.

There are how many agents? At some point, finite resources get stretched too far, and they break, and thus fail.

Maybe this was preventable even with the limited resources available (hindsight is always 20/20), but I'm saying maybe it was not preventable with the limited resources available. There's too much we don't know yet.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Fine Trump gets all the SS detail he needs. Whatever i don't care.

Did... did you come from a different dimension? Because i just saw a former president take a round to the ear from a guy with an AR from 130 yards away. A person died!

It's the only building within a half mile with unobstructed LOS

People in the crowd SAW HIM ON THE ROOF FOR SEVERAL MINUTES.

You don't have to shut down the business, but you'd figure someone would see the UNOBSTRUCTED BUILDING <150 YARDS AWAY, and say "maybe we sould keep an eye on that".

Whats next? Your old buddies gonna send him down to Dallas in an open top Cadillac? Oh! I hear there some great theaters in D.C.!

<>

Zack, I’ve seen ‘’media reports’’ that the distance was everywhere from 130’ to 400 yards. . . . .

<>

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I don't see how we can come to that conclusion. Yes, this was a total failure, no question, but inexcusable?

They have to screen and watch thousands of attendees, all of whom have much closer shots than the sniper had. They have to watch all the press, who probably have closer seats than most people, and carry big piles of gear that could easily hide weapons.

There are how many agents? At some point, finite resources get stretched too far, and they break, and thus fail.

Maybe this was preventable even with the limited resources available (hindsight is always 20/20), but I'm saying maybe it was not preventable with the limited resources available. There's too much we don't know yet.

There were people who had ID'd the shooter, and were trying to alert local LEO's. At some point, the people who should be talking, weren't.

That's one of SS's responsibilities. It's their show.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    There were people who had ID'd the shooter, and were trying to alert local LEO's. At some point, the people who should be talking, weren't.

That's one of SS's responsibilities. It's their show.

Totally agree, and that's why it's certainly a failure. But many failures cannot be avoided, and I'm just saying maybe this is one of them.

Maybe in this age of mentally-ill leftists inciting other mentally-ill leftists to violence, the number of SS assigned to various tasks needs to be updated.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Biden: There is no place for this kind of violence in politics.

Also Biden: "it’s time to put Trump in a bullseye.”

Honestly, that quote is no worse than Trump saying “fight like hell”.

Yes, it looks bad now so of course they’ll remove it. But it has nothing to do with the shooting. The years of calling Trump “literally Hitler” and claiming he wants to murder half the population of the US, the media lying and demonizing him…that is what instigated the violence and it’s not new. Trump supporters have been getting violently attacked for years. But Bidens “bullseye” remark is a nothingburger.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Sausage biscuit from Micky Ds was very good this mornin, Sausage perfectly coomorning, dark around the edges. Biscuit was was slightly crispy just the way I like them. Cold ice tea half n Half.
    You know I don't always go to Mc Donald's but when I do I choose the Buscuit!
    I believe Trump would agree.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    edmonsonjohn68
    Top Bottom