Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    I hope y'all get by unscathed.
    However, I'd settle for some rain and category 1 winds.

You might get your wish...unless you're west of the projected cone. Our buddy Beryl's track has once again nudged ever so slightly east. Attached are the NOAA 04:00 updates from Friday, Saturday, and today for comparison.

The good news, and it's mostly good: it's sped up just a little and actual landfall of the eye is looking like it will be before 02:00 tomorrow. Faster means less Harvey hang-around-and-flood action. And Beryl hasn't increased in intensity any more...yet. Maximum sustained winds have stayed at 60 for the last 48 hours. It's unlikely it'll get above a Cat 1.

A coastal hurricane warning is in place from Baffin Bay, south of Corpus, to Sargent, south of Houston. Evidently Gov. Abbott is in Taiwan, so Dan Patrick has issued a preemptive disaster declaration for 121 counties, including Harris. But I'm feeling more optimistic than I was. We'll have us a storm very early in the season, but it doesn't look nearly like a Rita, Ike, or Harvey level event.

Attachments

• Beryl_NOAA-forecast-at-0400-on-July-5-6-and-7.jpg
      Beryl_NOAA-forecast-at-0400-on-July-5-6-and-7.jpg
      197.5 KB · Views: 49

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    And that right there is why 2A people aren't the people this republic needs to fear.
    I have been saying it for some time that TGT has some of the nicest people you may never meet. Dustin & Kevin did me a solid during the icepoclpys. And we have been friends ever since.
    And it not just limited to them. Axxe 55 has enjoyed the same in ways that so members helping out other members. Some really class acts on here!

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    During my younger years when I lived in Houston, we would board up the windows, buy ice and beer and have hurricane parties. If I lived on the coast now, I'd be on the road at least a day ahead of the storm.

Yep. Hurricane Rita set the benchmark for why you do not wait if you choose to evacuate. The procedures for large-scale evacuation have (hopefully) vastly improved with quicker activation of mandated contraflow lanes and the like, but the issue remains that Greater Houston simply doesn't have the roadway infrastructure to move a crapton of people north and northwest out of the city in a short amount of time.

There were 120 deaths during Rita in September 2005, and 100 of those were attributed to the unprecedented traffic jams caused by folks trying to get farther inland on very short notice.

Well, dangit. The 2013 YouTube video I embedded is restricted for playback on third-party websites. Here's the direct URL and you'll have to piece it together (darn you, YouTube): www.youtube.com/ watch?v=J1BcBaam7c8. Only a minute 30, and a good reminder of what happened during Rita.

Last edited:

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I remember that fiasco, we lived on a second floor condo and stayed put. A few other people did also, I remember the next day it was like a ghost town. Don't remember the storm actually doing any damage just remember the traffic being reported. Can you imagine if they were trying to leave in EV's? After that they had installed gates to open the freeway traffic to use the incoming lanes, you can see the gates headed west on I-10 near Brookshire.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    As a reluctant participant in the Hurricane Rita "evacuation to nowhere" I can tell you one of the biggest problems was fuel. There isn't enough supply running out the major freeways. So many people ran out of gas and the stranded cars and people just slowed traffic even more. There was talk about supplying the freeway gas stations by pipeline but I don't think that ever happened.

After a 12 hour trip to Splendora, we turned around and got home in 30 minutes. I'm not leaving again. Well, maybe after...

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I see the path changed and will be hitting more of the Houston area. If anyone needs water or help putting up window coverings or anything like that please reach out. My cell is 715-492-0013. I woke up thinking today was Monday and got ready for work and everything lol. So after church I don't have anything to do today haha.
    I'm in Richmond so it'll probably just be a lot of rain for me. Prayers for y'all that you, your families and homes are safe in Jesus name.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Beryl's looking more tightly formed as of 30 minutes ago on satellite. Clearly defined eye and center of circulation. Next NOAA update at 13:00, and I'm thinking it'll be a Cat 1 around 16:00 or not too long after.

Attachments

• Beryl_satellite_07-07-1100.jpg
      Beryl_satellite_07-07-1100.jpg
      187.4 KB · Views: 39

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I remember that fiasco, we lived on a second floor condo and stayed put. A few other people did also, I remember the next day it was like a ghost town. Don't remember the storm actually doing any damage just remember the traffic being reported. Can you imagine if they were trying to leave in EV's? After that they had installed gates to open the freeway traffic to use the incoming lanes, you can see the gates headed west on I-10 near Brookshire.
    It'd be a good idea to carry a few cans of gas. Hope those with EVs can get a can of volts along the way. :laughing:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've been sitting at the house all day waiting for this damn thing to get here.
    So far it's been a beautiful hot sunny day.
    One brief shower came thru about an hour ago. It didn't even wet the street good.
    Weather radar doesn't show much on the east side of the circle.
    It's going to hit just down the coast.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I've been sitting at the house all day waiting for this damn thing to get here.
    So far it's been a beautiful hot sunny day.
    One brief shower came thru about an hour ago. It didn't even wet the street good.
    Weather radar doesn't show much on the east side of the circle.
    It's going to hit just down the coast.
    Where about are you located? Are you near the coast?

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I was hoping for a tropical storm with 5 inches of rain over San Antonio...now we'll be lucky to get 1. My grass is cooked for the rest of the summer now.

A meteorologist I've been watching on YouTube says it might make Cat 2 when it makes landfall, but will drop to Cat 1 fast. The bad news is it will be moving fast past Houston and might remain a Cat 1 til it passes north of it and drops back to a Tropical Storm.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    My wife is not a happy camper with me right now - my supervisor called me in to work a 15 hour shift - 0400 to 1900 tomorrow (early monday AM to monday evening) + 3 paid hours of travel - I can't say I'm thrilled at a 15 hour shift, but my pay for it will be over $500. I couldn't really say no to that kinda cash.

Thunder storm for the outer bands of the storm hit us a bit before 1PM. Rain has slacked off for right now, but it'll be back soon no doubt.

Top Bottom