Guns International

Shotguns for defense: Why bother or why would you overlook them!?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The subject is home defense, so 25 yards is perfectly acceptable to me - I'll be using #1 buck, so let's see how long it takes you to put 15 shots on each of those 3 targets at 25 yards.

Why do I need to put 15 rnds on target? The objective in a defensive shooting is to stop a threat.

Statistically there is an extremely small chance that a threat would require more than 1 shot even with wimpy handgun rounds.

Gonna have to explain why you wanted to kill instead of just stop the threat in court. Why didn't you just use birdshot;)
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Do I sense an additonal 25 yard shotgun vs AR competition coming up? Someone needs to build some wood stands that they don't care about getting tore up by buckshot.

Cool, I wanna see how I can do with the CX4 and Uzi compared to a shotgun also.

Damn, may have to schedule something before too long. November is a long ways off.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    Why do I need to put 15 rnds on target?
    Why? Because you said this earlier:

Nice thing about light recoil, I can put 20 rnds on target in the time you can put 3. That means when you miss the first one, the guy with the carbine is putting numerous holes in your body.....Although, I'm pretty sure I can put more rounds down range, with more accuracy, in less time, with a pistol or rifle caliber carbine than you could with your shotgun in even your wettest of wet dreams.
    You're talking individual cartridges - I'm talking holes on target, the things that actually count, not the number of loud noises.

S'cuse me - have to dash for lunch, back later.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Why? Because you said this earlier:

Why are you so hell bent on taking that out of the context it was posted in.

You took over an argument made by someone else, you should have read their argument better. Including the claims that shotguns were all that was needed for pretty much anything.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    y2araduj.jpg

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Jeremy, another experiment.

50-100 yards. I shoot as many times as I can in the time it takes you to fire 3 shots. Count rounds on target for each.

Wadya say?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Andy, although I disagree with you, it's not to the level this debate has gone. That is a product of a trolling asshoke, misunderstanding, lost in translation, and stubbornness.

I would be happy to continue this in a calmer tone and debate the legal aspects OC carbine vs shotgun as well as my views on why I don't feel the need to put out 15 pellets with one shot.

The thread has gotten fairly obscured and useless, except for entertainment value.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Jeremy, another experiment.

50-100 yards. I shoot as many times as I can in the time it takes you to fire 3 shots. Count rounds on target for each.

Wadya say?

I'll give it a shot, but I can already tell ya at anything over...30 yards, I would not count on my shotgun for anything. I've heard stories of guys getting hits with slugs to take out some random animal, but I don't see how. I know one thing for sure-with the caddy, my red dot was spot on at 100 yards with slugs. For some reason, that last meet I was high at 100 yards with the same slugs. So I need to get that fixed for sure. Either way-I'm game even if it's just to show how superior the AR is at defending your yard.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Energy is tricky.

Handguns have about the same energy as a punch, but I'd rather be punched than shot.

Another example. My .22 TCM has the same energy as .45 ACP.

I look at energy about like knockdown power.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'll give it a shot, but I can already tell ya at anything over...30 yards, I would not count on my shotgun for anything. I've heard stories of guys getting hits with slugs to take out some random animal, but I don't see how. I know one thing for sure-with the caddy, my red dot was spot on at 100 yards with slugs. For some reason, that last meet I was high at 100 yards with the same slugs. So I need to get that fixed for sure. Either way-I'm game even if it's just to show how superior the AR is at defending your yard.

I was thinking it would be more for fun and maybe a little knowledge gained. Not necessarily competitive.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Well energy is real unlike knockdown power.

I know what you mean though. There is the mathematical energy but how its applied and all the weird stuff that happens in reality, can change things.

Top Bottom