• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I agree. I tried it while I was in Indianapolis, gross as hell.
    In 2001, I had to go to Indiana for my grandmother's funeral. I had heard people talk for years about White Castle burgers and how great they were. Well, there was one close to where my aunt lived, and she took me there to eat.

Nope! Never again! I think of McDonald's as being on the lowest rung of the burger chains, but White Castle became to worst IMO.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    Xmas potluck @ work, a coworker offers me some duck they had brought and seemed to be proud of. I politely thanked them and choked it down. Moi: "That's different, I've never had duck before." It was horrible! I didn't think meat could be so greasy! Thankfully I was working in the Infirmary and had access to Pepto Bismol.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Xmas potluck @ work, a coworker offers me some duck they had brought and seemed to be proud of. I politely thanked them and choked it down. Moi: "That's different, I've never had duck before." It was horrible! I didn't think meat could be so greasy! Thankfully I was working in the Infirmary and had access to Pepto Bismol.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    I use to piss management off at work by never eating holiday potlucks. I told them off temperature food from outside sources was a risk I was not willing to take. Beside if I got the shits in a couple of days from it they would cry like bitches that I wasn't sick!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    In 2001, I had to go to Indiana for my grandmother's funeral. I had heard people talk for years about White Castle burgers and how great they were. Well, there was one close to where my aunt lived, and she took me there to eat.

Nope! Never again! I think of McDonald's as being on the lowest rung of the burger chains, but White Castle became to worst IMO.
    You know, the first time I ran into a White Castle, I was on a trip and stopped to get a bite. When they asked how many I wanted, I said, "Just one". I didn't know they are only the size of a postage stamp. So I ended up with half a dozen or something, and it was all I could do to choke them down. They are truly terrible - much worse than McDonalds. And yet they sell them frozen in WalMart because people from that region absolutely worship them.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Vultures won’t eat a javelina. Neither will wild coyotes or bobcats.
    Smart people wont eat that nasty shit either.

You cant even make chili or burritos made from Javelina taste good.

Most disgusting meat ever.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    You know, the first time I ran into a White Castle, I was on a trip and stopped to get a bite. When they asked how many I wanted, I said, "Just one". I didn't know they are only the size of a postage stamp. So I ended up with half a dozen or something, and it was all I could do to choke them down. They are truly terrible - much worse than McDonalds. And yet they sell them frozen in WalMart because people from that region absolutely worship them.
    Dollar General started selling them a couple of years ago. Wife mentioned some time back if I wanted some.

Hell No!

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I use to piss management off at work by never eating holiday potlucks. I told them off temperature food from outside sources was a risk I was not willing to take. Beside if I got the shits in a couple of days from it they would cry like bitches that I wasn't sick!
    Same here. Also, once was in a building with a cafeteria and Friday was buffet day. Basically leftover Mon-Thu items mixed in with some stuff to make it look different. Multiple times people got sick from eating the Friday buffet.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Many years ago while hunting in Eagle Lake some one had mentioned a restaurant in town that had “great” hunters specials! Steak night was followed by chicken fried steak night.

We had been deer hunting the week before and had ate most of our groceries so going in and sitting down sounded great! steak night was over cooked sirloin steak. They pre cooked the steaks in anticipation of a big crowd of hunters, then reheated them. CFS was the left over over cooked sirloin that they batter and fried. I remember ever unlucky Hunter opting for their hunting knife to cut their plate of chicken fried hip waders!

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    Dollar General started selling them a couple of years ago. Wife mentioned some time back if I wanted some.

Hell No!
    Y'all need to know White Castle gut bombs are meant to be eaten after the bars close around 2 am. I learned that while stationed up that way. At that time you could get a dozen for a $1.00.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Y'all need to know White Castle gut bombs are meant to be eaten after the bars close around 2 am. I learned that while stationed up that way. At that time you could get a dozen for a $1.00.
    After all there has been a movie made about this & people still think White Castles way more then they ever were meant to be!

For years the town I grew up in supposedly would not allow a White Castle Franchise in town (straight up politics as a local politician owns the McDonald's franchise)! One did eventually open in town. I remember my brother picking me up at Midway Airport & being hungry. I said lets get a beef sammich & couldn't find any place open. He suggested White Castles laughing the whole time. The new at the time White Castles had just opened. Between the help wanted signs & clientele and smell of grilled onions & tallow I went home hungry.

I'm sure on the rare occasion your totally blotto and about broke when nothing is open White Castles might call ones name. The next day generally would determine how long until you make that mistake again!

I could be wrong but I remember them only as burger & cheese burger. Now the offer doubles & with bacon!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Well at the time, I had no personal experience with eating at White Castle, and had only heard talk from "yankees" saying how great they were.

So on that first trip to Indiana, I gave them a try. Gut bombs would an accurate description!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    So much food has nostalgic links to our past! Things that were really special treats as kids, just don’t stand the march of time!

We belong to a a recreational club when I was a little kid. One of the ways there involved Route 66. In Wilmington, Illinois there was a place called the Launching Pad. Stopping there on the way home for a soft serve cone was special, getting burgers even a bigger deal.

It’s still there having stood the test of time! Not sure how many different owners it’s had. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=gemini+gi...a6/ab/c3/a6abc38e7f1883bbe0fd71633445c32b.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Bill Miller's BBQ is the only thing that comes to mind, other than Brussell Sprouts, the most horrible bbq ever!
    When I moved back to Houston in the early 1990's, I was looking for a good BBQ place. Many people suggested and just raved over Fowler's BBQ. I think there were three or four locations at the time around Houston. I ate at two different locations. Over-cooked brisket, to the point of being dried out, and about as tough as shoe leather.

It was rather obvious these people that raved over Fowler's, had never had good BBQ brisket. The pinto beans, were pretty danged good though.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Some of you guys have led pretty sheltered lives food-wise.

For me, the worst I've tried was black pudding. It tastes exactly like what it is - oatmeal boiled in cow or sheep blood. But hey, I was in Scotland and everything else I tried was delicious (including haggis - which I had already enjoyed a few times before the trip).

Top Bottom