• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I'm curious as to in what way do you find the 38 Super like the 45acp?
    I like it because it has almost the punch of a .45, holds more rounds, and has been proven in competition to be a superior round for that purpose. I actually carry a 45 but would prefer a 38 super.
    Venture Surplus ad

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    There seems to be a lot of opinion on this subject but the question still remains, outside of opinion, why no 3" or 3.5" barrel is available for experimentation of nothing else.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    From brief reading it’s a velocity dependent round. Cutting the barrel cuts velocity defeating the entire purpose of the round. Also no one makes pistols or rounds in any quantity so no one is going to make a one off short barrel pistol for a weirdo round.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I like it because it has almost the punch of a .45, holds more rounds, and has been proven in competition to be a superior round for that purpose. I actually carry a 45 but would prefer a 38 super.
    It's still a handgun round, it's only ever going to do handgun things. Going roughly 200 fps faster than 9mm doesn't suddenly make it 5.56 or .308

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2022
    East Texas
    I have three 1911 Colt .38 Supers and love them! I used to carry one when hunting mulies in the desert. Never shit a deer with it, but I hunted Javelina with it on two separate occasions. I’ll tell you this much, the Cor Bon 125gr JHP drops Javelina like a bug getting smashed by a fly-swatter.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    There seems to be a lot of opinion on this subject but the question still remains, outside of opinion, why no 3" or 3.5" barrel is available for experimentation of nothing else.
    Like I said earlier, AMT did, with their DAO Backup, but when the cartridge makes a fire halo, like it does, in a 5" barrel, just think what it's going to be out of a 3".
    smiley_freak.gif

They do pop-up on GunBroker once in a while, if you really want one.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    Why is it more popular in Mexico? Because the good alternatives are restricted to use by the officials. Not hateful; fact.
    it is popular south of the border because they could not own firearms in any cartridge used by any military in the world, which eliminates .38 special, 9mm, 45 acp, 380 acp, etc...
    .38 super has never been used by any military so they could own firearms chambered for it

FYI
    John Dillinger used a .38 super, so did a few other gangsters and at least one had a Thompson Machine gun chambered in .38 super, it was also used by several Texas Rangers back in the day

Gabe1519

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2015
    I saw a lot of this ammo for sale at academy the other day. I had never seen one so I opened the box and it was a tiny little round. To me it didn’t seem worth it when you could buy twice as many rounds in other calibers especially 9mm. I’m sure it outperforms similar size cartridges but it’s not a round you would plink with all day.

ttuttle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    And don't forget, it was the first handgun round that could penetrate a car door. The hoods loved it!

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I saw a lot of this ammo for sale at academy the other day. I had never seen one so I opened the box and it was a tiny little round. To me it didn’t seem worth it when you could buy twice as many rounds in other calibers especially 9mm. I’m sure it outperforms similar size cartridges but it’s not a round you would plink with all day.

I think you opened .380 ACP.

.38 Super is the same bullet size as 9mm but a longer case.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I own one, a colt commander talo edition. It's a bad ass lil gun. First time I shot it out at the farm you could see the tall grass swaying back with every shot. I've almost bit on a tanfoglio chambered in it to get the full punch out of the round. I'd buy another if the price was right. Of course I do reload for it and bought 1k starline brass a couple years ago so I'm sitting pretty ammo wise.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've thought about that myself. I don't love my 125s I have for the magnum and since they're plated I bet they do great in the 9mm. Personally I load HAP .356" for my nines but never have tried .357. I should slug a few barrels to see if I can squeeze a little more accuracy out of a few nines with the mag bullets.

Top Bottom