• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    As I understand the story, the Super 38 came about because folks wanted a 1911 with better penetration than the old .45acp provided.
    Colt reworked their .38acp round and brought the Super out before the :357mag. It gave better penetration against the then Auto Bandits. At the time LEO’s were pretty much stuck with .45acp or .38Special. Both are lousy against car doors and such.
    When the real deal .357mag showed up it became wildly popular with Law Dogs everywhere. Kinda pushed the Super to the back.
    The old story about the Super being popular in the Latin American countries is sort of true. For many years any caliber considered “military” was prohibited for civilians to possess. That went away 50yrs ago. It’s still popular tho. Many down there look at it like we look at the 44-40. A round from a more refined age.
    Most, as in the vast majority of cops had zero interest in auto loaders until the S&W third gens, then Glocks. The 1911 was seen as "that army gun".

Even .357's weren't super popular, it was .38 special for the vast majority of cops till they got a glock 17 or 22

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Most, as in the vast majority of cops had zero interest in auto loaders until the S&W third gens, then Glocks. The 1911 was seen as "that army gun".

Even .357's weren't super popular, it was .38 special for the vast majority of cops till they got a glock 17 or 22
    honestly i don't remember a lot of factory ammo on the shelves forthe 38 super

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I have a Colt 1911 Government in 38 Super just for fun times at the range. It's fun for me but I really don't see any real world advantages over more common calibers.

I'd probably carry a 357SIG before 38 Super honestly.
    i think there was a time many years ago when 38 superwas a viable cartridge but honestly i think time has passed and there are much better cartridgesavailablewith better components!

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    .38 Super is a fun cartridge.....handloading is almost a must....have 3 1911's that are chambered for it although 1 I have never shot and never will.............

A Combat Commander in .38 Super would be a fine EDC..............imho...

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

A few years back I ran into an Old Guy @ Arcola TX Airport, who had a “fanny pack” in front with a 1911 printinng such that I‘D it from the printing.

Was a Cold .38Super his dead Buddy’s Widow had given him. According to him, the LA CA PD had equipped their Detectives with them for a few years, but then changed to something else and let the Cops keep their pistols.

Guy had shot it very little, but it really looked nice.

<>

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I had a Llama 1911 in 38 Super back in the '70s.
    Was fun at the indoor range I shot at in Minneapolis.
    Got a huge fire halo out the muzzle every round, none of my other centerfire pistols ever did that.
    Kind of like a message from God...

s9h60fs9c8my.jpg

But the Llama was kind of a piece of shit, so I traded it for a Marlin 30-30.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I had a Llama 1911 in 38 Super back in the '70s.
    Was fun at the indoor range I shot at in Minneapolis.
    Got a huge fire halo out the muzzle every round, none of my other centerfire pistols ever did that.
    Kind of like a message from God...

s9h60fs9c8my.jpg

But the Llama was kind of a piece of shit, so I traded it for a Marlin 30-30.

I've got a buddy that shoots a 1911 in 38 Super for some steel competitions.

The "halo" is awesome!!!!

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I've been tempted by a couple nice 1911's in 38 super. Never pulled the trigger because they always are from mid-high end ($$$$) builders. And I just do not want to add another caliber to the ammo shelf.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    @OP,

Have you tried any of these makers:?

Custom-built guns based upon the double-stack 2011 frame are by far the most popular choice. STI/Staccato led the way with 20 percent of the shooters building upon it. Infinity was the next most popular at 14 percent, with Phoenix Trinity chosen by 12 percent. Cheely/CK arms was favored by 9 percent, LimCat came in at 8 percent, while Atlas followed at 7 percent and 6 percent choosing Akai. The remaining models were Axiom, BUL, Brazos and CZ (the only non-2011 platform), which were used by 3 percent each.

STI used to make the .38 Super guns that I saw in USPSA, but now I'm not seeing any offerings there at all.

Hmmmmm.

DACMagic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2023
    Austin
    I think .38 super has some good power on paper, but not much benefit in actual use outside of the USPSA Major Power Factor requirements.

It's not quite a drop-in change for .45 for gun manufacturers, and it's not just a longer 9mm for cartridge manufacturers with it's semi-rimmed thin wall case...so it really gets no love from the gun companies, ammo companies, and service users. Plus the 9x23 came a long and stole some wind out of it's sails not helping it's popularity. .357 SIG stole even more from both.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I think .38 super has some good power on paper, but not much benefit in actual use outside of the USPSA Major Power Factor requirements.

It's not quite a drop-in change for .45 for gun manufacturers, and it's not just a longer 9mm for cartridge manufacturers with it's semi-rimmed thin wall case...so it really gets no love from the gun companies, ammo companies, and service users. Plus the 9x23 came a long and stole some wind out of it's sails not helping it's popularity. .357 SIG stole even more from both.
    converting a 1911touse 38 super not just using drop-in parts

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    It’s like 9x21mm a round for people that can’t have 9x19 or .45acp. Also know as does not sell here in the US because we have better options. It’s interesting as a historical thing, but doesn’t sell so isn’t made. (Generally speaking)

Top Bottom