• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    I have been looking for a 38 super with a 3 to 3.5 barrel but no one seems to make one, why? There is no reason I can see. The round is very close to ..45 so length is not the problem. It's the same as 9mm in diameter so that's not a problem. The barrel is almost identical to 9mm. The 38 super has enough more oomph than the 9mm to be meaningful. It would seem to be a natural option to 9mm or .45. Come on Springfield, S & W, Colt. Step up to the plate.
    Lynx Defense

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Ammo availability is pretty much non existent compared.
    The 38 super is not like a 45 in any way.
    The 38 super needs the longer barrel to perform as designed.
    A short barreled 38 super will blow your ears out just like a 357 does.
    IMO but history of the 38 super in any other configuration is black and white.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    AMT made their Back-Up DAO in .38 Super.
    Don't know if I would like to shoot one, my .45 is a beast as it is, shooting something hotter would be challenging.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Lack of demand.
    The old Super 38 is a wonderful round but, sadly, it’s been relegated to obsolescence.
    The caliber has always suffered from lack of ammo/high cost.
    In its day it was the hottest semi auto pistol caliber around.
    These days most people aren’t interested in it. Sure some of the gamer types run it in competition to skirt the rules and there is always the old school Fudd types who like it.
    The older guns weren’t noted for their accuracy due to the headspacing. Modern guns solved that by headspacing differently. Today the round shoots as well as anything else.
    Fully loaded +P rounds are stiff. In a micro sized pistol they would be a bear. Plus you’d lose quite a bit of velocity with the uber short barrel.
    So I’m guessing gun makers aren’t interested in producing one. Probably think it will not sell.
    If you just gotta, you’ll have to go custom built.

ttuttle

An old guy who like to shoot
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2015
    It is a round that you would likely reload for since it is not seen on the LGS shelves as much.

Regarding the shorter barrel, you might go with a faster burning powder to get the most out of it.

I know it is a popular chambering south of the border.
    I do reload my 38 Super and shoot it more than any other round. I'm partial to it but some good points have been raised here. Some of the comments seem an little hateful. IMO it's a good round.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I had a Model 70 Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super but I am not aware of any shorter barrels than that. I did handload with 90 gr. Hornady hollow points and got 1400 fps out of that load which performed well and was super accurate. Yes, it was loud and three a pretty good flame out of the barrel but nothing like a .357. That was in my "velocity is everything" days

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I have been looking for a 38 super with a 3 to 3.5 barrel but no one seems to make one, why? There is no reason I can see. The round is very close to ..45 so length is not the problem. It's the same as 9mm in diameter so that's not a problem. The barrel is almost identical to 9mm. The 38 super has enough more oomph than the 9mm to be meaningful. It would seem to be a natural option to 9mm or .45. Come on Springfield, S & W, Colt. Step up to the plate.

The barrel is a bit longer than you asked for but it's the only thing you are going to find unless you want to go the custom route.

None of the big companies are going to make what you asked for. No return on investment. Selling a handful of pistols a year doesn't cover the cost of enginerring.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    It has a cult following with Hispanics and competition shooters.

It's a good round, but 9mm is nipping at its heels, and is far cheaper and more available. It being semi-rimmed complicates things. .38 super face is also a thing

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have a Commander length .38 super barrel, I was going to try to find a Commander slide. That was years ago. Have it somewhere still in the plastic. Also a Colt .38 super MAGAzine.
    i have a very close friend that is also a gun smithwho is going to help me put together a target 1911 in 38 super!
    It has a cult following with Hispanics and competition shooters.

It's a good round, but 9mm is nipping at its heels, and is far cheaper and more available. It being semi-rimmed complicates things. .38 super face is also a thing
    iirc baer and wilson combat offertheir pistols in38 super!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    As I understand the story, the Super 38 came about because folks wanted a 1911 with better penetration than the old .45acp provided.
    Colt reworked their .38acp round and brought the Super out before the :357mag. It gave better penetration against the then Auto Bandits. At the time LEO’s were pretty much stuck with .45acp or .38Special. Both are lousy against car doors and such.
    When the real deal .357mag showed up it became wildly popular with Law Dogs everywhere. Kinda pushed the Super to the back.
    The old story about the Super being popular in the Latin American countries is sort of true. For many years any caliber considered “military” was prohibited for civilians to possess. That went away 50yrs ago. It’s still popular tho. Many down there look at it like we look at the 44-40. A round from a more refined age.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Have more pics...some fool place....

38 Stoopid. 8 shooter. Now sporting a C MORE rail sight....

Attachments

• 8 shooter in leather 001.JPG
      8 shooter in leather 001.JPG
      184.6 KB · Views: 50
    • Phone pics June 18 416.jpg
      Phone pics June 18 416.jpg
      249.4 KB · Views: 45
    Top Bottom