What have you done to your vehicle lately?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    I've rebuilt several retired police hemis and not found that to be the case. There isn't enough meat for the machine shop to go over.

Here are your cam bearing choices- note the lack of +.010 etc sizes link

The Gen III bore spacing is a conservative 4.46-inches, which limits the maximum bore size to roughly 4.100 inches, leaving a thin sealing space for the head gasket between cylinders. There are aftermarket aluminum blocks that boldly expand the bore to 4.185, but this is considered the maximum. link

Don't get me wrong, it's a great engine for what it is, but it is disposable.
    You may be making the mistake of thinking it gets rebuilt like a 1940's flathead Ford. Nitpicking, but if you need more than a 10 over cam or main bearing, you would solve the issue by replacing the cam or the crank respectively. There's no sense in spending the money trying to fix a spun rotating assembly. Possible? Of course. Money smart? No. Considering overbores, the 5.7L you linked has the smallest bore at 3.917" and people routinely bore these to 4.000" or so. I wouldn't call a tenth of an inch 'disposable' or 'unservicable' by any stretch of the imagination. Especially when modern engines are machined better to begin with and rarely need more than a rehone. If you're boring, you're building. On the topic of tight cylinder spacing, the 6.2L/6.4L blocks are 4.090" factory and it is common to service these at .005 or .010. Still enough room to seal and hold well over 1000 hp with MLS, we aren't using old school composite gaskets anymore. Not to mention the gaskets are thin (.027 for the 5.7L, .040 otherwise) and better clamped than the old days. Simply put, these things don't blow head gaskets.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    You may be making the mistake of thinking it gets rebuilt like a 1940's flathead Ford.
    That was my entire point.

There's no sense in spending the money trying to fix a spun rotating assembly.

It's cost prohibitive to buy new parts (cam, lifters, crank, and pay the machine shop....which is why they are disposable (in my opinion). The other issue I have found is many parts are nearly unobtainable (oem crank @ $1000+ delivered below is out-of-stock at Summit).

+Labor.....

The hemi is an amazing motor, sounds great, peppy, decent milage....but rebuilding them is obscene.

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 17-08-11 DODGE 5.7L_345 Mopar Hemi Gen III Crankshafts - Free Shippin...png

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 17-08-42 Free Shipping on Orders Over $109 at Summit Racing.png

Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 17-32-06 MOPAR 05038784AD Heavy Duty Non MDS Lifter Set for 5.7_6.1_6...png

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    If I ever find myself needing a crank for mine, I'm not going to Summit. I'm going to someone like LME for a stock core. If I need a cam, I'm definitely going aftermarket.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I get a call from the dealer stating my plates came in, so I’m like just mail them to me. I asked for gimp plates, and the dealer told just go to the county tax office. Out here that’s s no big deal. 50 cents later I have my new plates.

So I go to put them on and started on the back where the paper plate is. I have a regularly flat head screw driver, and it’s seems like it taking forever. Plate off new one in the frame and the holes won’t line up four shit. Sweeting like crazy I cap the dealer frame, and finally get the plate on.

Moving to the front I can’t see any holes for the front plate. I look around a bit only to give up on it. $50K for a new Toyota Tacoma and they can’t add the front plate screws to the plastic bumpers.

Last edited:

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I get a call from the dealer stating my plates came in, so I’m like just mail them to me. I asked for gimp plates, and the dealer told just go to the county tax office. Out here that’s s no big deal. 50 cents later I have my new plates.

So I go to put them on and started on the back where the paper plate is. I have a regularly flat head screw driver, and it’s seems like it taking forever. Plate off new one in the frame and the holes won’t line up four shit. Sweeting like crazy I cap the dealer frame, and finally get the plate on.

Moving to the front I can’t see any holes for the front plate. I look around a bit only to give up on it. $50K for a new Toyota Tacoma and they can’t add the front plate screws to the plastic bumpers.
    Aren’t they obligated to provide front mounting screws or brackets for states that require front plates? Last new car we bought had that noted on the window sticker.

I always ditch the dealer frames and remove their dealer stickers (if there is one). Not gonna advertise for free

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    OH yeah I could make the damn near 2 hour drive one way for them to put the new DEI hire on it to mount it lopsided and not centered. The back plate had machine screw like if they had the plastic clips to screw onto the front has pointed screws to mount it any where on the palstic.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Sitting at discount getting a new spare tire for the truck. Original is 10 years old. Also had them pull a nail from one of the brand new Michelins bought about six weeks ago. Probably picked it up from one of those damn roofers or fence companies in the neighborhood over the past month. Pisses me off bit fortunately it didn’t go through all the way

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Sitting at discount getting a new spare tire for the truck. Original is 10 years old. Also had them pull a nail from one of the brand new Michelins bought about six weeks ago. Probably picked it up from one of those damn roofers or fence companies in the neighborhood over the past month. Pisses me off bit fortunately it didn’t go through all the way
    Just got back from me second trip to DT. Is it me or has their attention to detail been slipping over the past few years?
    1) mounted spare white letters out. Minor annoyance and I let it slide. Usually they would ask and since I didn’t give specific direction - even though all other tires are black wall- i’ll take that one. Didn’t ask them to fix it.
    2) heard a clunking sound when driving. Got home and found it wasn’t winched up all the way. It was just swinging. Ok easier for me just to finish winching it up myself.
    3) oh but they mounted it upside down. Well shit, easier for me to drop it myself and flip the tire.
    4) no valve cap. Really?? Ok I have an old one I’ll stick on.
    5) dropped the tire and no wheel weight. Fuq!
    6) they got the lock on the bumper out of alignment and couldn’t get it back, so I had fiddle with it when I got home to see how it went together and get it to lock again. I mean these guys do this all the time! It’s an F150 one of the most common vehicles out there

Threw the tire in the back of the truck and went back to DT and spoke to manager. He addressed problems. He explained the reason for #3 was to make air checks easier. The other concerns were fixed. Dripping in sweat and need another shower now. Such an easy mundane errand made into a giant PITA.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Good help is hard to find these days. I usually let someone know when they do a good job. Went to a doctor a few months ago, he sent me for a MRI. Waited a couple of days hadn't heard anything. Call the office and spoke to someone and she said someone would call me back. Waited a couple more days, still nothing. I went to MRI place and got a copy of the files on a disk. Found the report from the doctor who reviewed the MRI, just a small contusion, nothing needed fixing. Went on the original Dr website and left a review. The Dr called me the next day to apologize for the office staff.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Just got back from me second trip to DT. Is it me or has their attention to detail been slipping over the past few years?
    1) mounted spare white letters out. Minor annoyance and I let it slide. Usually they would ask and since I didn’t give specific direction - even though all other tires are black wall- i’ll take that one. Didn’t ask them to fix it.
    2) heard a clunking sound when driving. Got home and found it wasn’t winched up all the way. It was just swinging. Ok easier for me just to finish winching it up myself.
    3) oh but they mounted it upside down. Well shit, easier for me to drop it myself and flip the tire.
    4) no valve cap. Really?? Ok I have an old one I’ll stick on.
    5) dropped the tire and no wheel weight. Fuq!
    6) they got the lock on the bumper out of alignment and couldn’t get it back, so I had fiddle with it when I got home to see how it went together and get it to lock again. I mean these guys do this all the time! It’s an F150 one of the most common vehicles out there

Threw the tire in the back of the truck and went back to DT and spoke to manager. He addressed problems. He explained the reason for #3 was to make air checks easier. The other concerns were fixed. Dripping in sweat and need another shower now. Such an easy mundane errand made into a giant PITA.
    I can say their hand torqued lug nuts is bullshit. I posted about having to cross threaded lug nuts . The tires where bought in Houston & was in Palestine getting a rotation, when the guy comes out telling me about it. I tell him well fix it, as Discount Tires did it. He tells me they didn't do it and they don't fix it.

I had bought all my tires for 40 years at discount. Never again.

Top Bottom