What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    What size is your mold throwing and what size is your sizing die?

Im sizing to .357 Bore is .3555. Mold drops between 356 and 357 with one cavitey at 3555. My second mold drops at 357 and 356. I coated before sizing because i didnt know better. I am now going to size first.

When you size what are you using? Do you lube them to size them?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Winterborn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Arlington
    Im sizing to .357 Bore is .3555. Mold drops between 356 and 357 with one cavitey at 3555. My second mold drops at 357 and 356. I coated before sizing because i didnt know better. I am now going to size first.

When you size what are you using? Do you lube them to size them?

My sizing die is usually the appropriate Lee die for the desired size (Ex, 9mm = .356). Normally you would need to lube raw lead if you are going to size them.

I have found that doing this affects the powder coating process, however. My normal process is to cast boolits in Lee molds, then water-drop them so they quench fast and shrink a tiny bit (around .001). I then powdercoat and size after powder coating to avoid the necessity of using lube.

YMMV, but this has and continues to work on thousands of cast boolits. I cast and coat for 9mm, .45, .308, and 300 BLK. I'm playing around with some for my Tok (7.62 x 25), but they are finicky and I haven't gotten them quite right yet.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Im using the Lee push through dies and I dont lube them at all.

My 9mm mold casts at .358 so I size after casting. My 9mm sizing die is .356 exactly which gives me .358-.359 after PC. If I were to PC before sizing, it would shave some like you describe.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ya it doesnt shave much and moat of the bullets go right through with a small little flat on the PC. The problem is one or two of the cavities drop at .357. Those need slight force. Then about 3 percent or so at bad casts that got coated and take more force. Those are the ones ill pull before loading and recoat.

Now ive also noticed the harbor freight red is working better than the eastwood green is. It is more evenly coating them and not lumpy. One batch of about 100 of the EW. Green is going tough. Got half way through and stopped. They were a crappy batch i figured id size and load anyways just for the heck of it for plinkers.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Ya it doesnt shave much and moat of the bullets go right through with a small little flat on the PC. The problem is one or two of the cavities drop at .357. Those need slight force. Then about 3 percent or so at bad casts that got coated and take more force. Those are the ones ill pull before loading and recoat.

Now ive also noticed the harbor freight red is working better than the eastwood green is. It is more evenly coating them and not lumpy. One batch of about 100 of the EW. Green is going tough. Got half way through and stopped. They were a crappy batch i figured id size and load anyways just for the heck of it for plinkers.

Are you using a powder coating gun or just dry tumbling?

Try All Powder Paints (my first choice) or Prismatic Powders (my second choice) for powder if you are using a gun. I started out with HF then tried Eastwood and both suck compared to the other two. Eastwood is expensive too! My only gripe about APP is they are closed on weekends and even shut down their website when closed! They do have the best powder ive found though and shipping is $6.95.

Prismatic is pretty good, but their shipping is high if you are only ordering a lb or two. Its $13.95 for up to 10 lbs, but its overnight shipping and they run some pretty good deals at times. Their deal right now is spend $100 and get a lb of ink black free, but last week it was buy 3 lbs and get one of your choice free.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Wait what did you tell me?

The HF is working ok. I am only dry tumbling. I dont have a compressor so cant use a gun.

Ive heard powder by the pound come up a lot. Dont know what brand or if its their oen brands though. They do offer small qty though (2 oz). Know anything about them? Definately going to check out app though. Are their prices good?

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Wait what did you tell me?

The HF is working ok. I am only dry tumbling. I dont have a compressor so cant use a gun.

Ive heard powder by the pound come up a lot. Dont know what brand or if its their oen brands though. They do offer small qty though (2 oz). Know anything about them? Definately going to check out app though. Are their prices good?

their prices are competitive especially if you arent worried about the color. If I remember correctly, they are $10-$15 a lb for straight gloss colors.

Look into a compressor and a gun. Its a totally different world compared to shake and bake. it doesnt take a big compressor to run a gun for powder coating bullets and the HF gun is ok if you can catch it on sale, but Id step up to the eastwood single voltage gun considering its normally only $20 more. I use the eastwood dual voltage and have been running it for 2 years now powder coating for 3-4 hrs a day several days a week for 2 years without an issue. Probably done over 1500 cups with it and still going strong.

Are you using black airsoft bbs for the shake and bake?

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    their prices are competitive especially if you arent worried about the color. If I remember correctly, they are $10-$15 a lb for straight gloss colors.

Look into a compressor and a gun. Its a totally different world compared to shake and bake. it doesnt take a big compressor to run a gun for powder coating bullets and the HF gun is ok if you can catch it on sale, but Id step up to the eastwood single voltage gun considering its normally only $20 more. I use the eastwood dual voltage and have been running it for 2 years now powder coating for 3-4 hrs a day several days a week for 2 years without an issue. Probably done over 1500 cups with it and still going strong.

Ive tried several shake and bakes. Last time i just dropped straight in the tumbler and let it go for about 20 minutes. Both powders seemed to work ok that way.

I just made a separator to try with BBs. Gonna finish sizing what i have and then pull the uglies and will try BBs with them to see how they turn out. Gonna try to cast some more tonight or tomorrow night as well.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

Ive tried several shake and bakes. Last time i just dropped straight in the tumbler and let it go for about 20 minutes. Both powders seemed to work ok that way.

I just made a separator to try with BBs. Gonna finish sizing what i have and then pull the uglies and will try BBs with them to see how they turn out. Gonna try to cast some more tonight or tomorrow night as well.

One of you guys should start a separate thread on powder coating bullets. I know it is getting more popular and all the good info here will be almost impossible to find.

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    One of you guys should start a separate thread on powder coating bullets. I know it is getting more popular and all the good info here will be almost impossible to find.
    I may do a write up when I get a chance. Im pretty much a rookie when it comes to casting and powdercoating bullets (especially dry tumbling them), but I do know a thing or two about powder coating. Just a few of todays projects im trying to get finished up:

25ac43a26971b56afa38979f3c167d00.jpg

5adbb4f1d4d0aa99a196848b8ffad2d4.jpg

e9f1063668a3508260fe034797e727c4.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I may do a write up when I get a chance. Im pretty much a rookie when it comes to casting and powdercoating bullets (especially dry tumbling them), but I do know a thing or two about powder coating. Just a few of todays projects im trying to get finished up:

25ac43a26971b56afa38979f3c167d00.jpg

5adbb4f1d4d0aa99a196848b8ffad2d4.jpg

e9f1063668a3508260fe034797e727c4.jpg

If we have some more experienced members a separate thread may bring them out.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    Trimmed, chamfered, and swaged about 250 .223.
    Then changed the prep machine to.308 and did the same to about 25 pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Also, I receive a strange package in the mail a week ago. No note. Just an envelope with a strange black thing taped in it.

Well low and behold, I just figured it out. Thanks Orbitup!

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zepunisher
    Top Bottom