What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    What a triple post?
    Geeze!

I'll keep the one with the product links.

Sorry.................

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The components for our .375 Socom project are inbound so I bought something for the project yesterday.

There is zero data available for .375 Socom reloading, but we have the maximum data used for the actual SAAMI pressure tests. There's going to be a lot of load variables as we determine supersonic and subsonic loads for the .375 Socom below the SAAMI maximum charges.

Will the load function in the rifle if we use the silencer or will it also work without the silencer? Will a standard muzzle device (suppressor/brake/flash hider) provide enough back pressure to run the rifle action? There's gonna be lots of tinkering with the charge data making 5-6 cartridges with each load and it's pretty tedious setting the measures.

Usually, I select my load, set the charge weight on my powder measure and check it periodically. Not much fussing required. No need for an automated weighing device, Huh?

I have many powder measures including:
    4- RCBS Uni Flow measures
    RCBS "Lil Dandy" measure with lots of rotors
    4 Dillon RL 550 measures
    2 Lyman #55 measures
    Full set of Lee Dippers.

All of those measures take a volume of powder in a cavity within the powder measure and that equates to weight of the charge. If you just poured powder into the measure and it's all fluffy, weight will be much different than after you bang around the workbench and pack that powder down. The same volume of powder will vary in weight. That requires the measure to be free of knocking, tapping or jostling the powder inside.

The Lyman 55 even has a small hammer built into the measure base. Flip that hammer to give each charge the same amount of powder density every time. Do it the same way every time. The conversion of dense or fluffy powder volume to weight is where we get our inaccuracy in powder charges. I'm not going to use a powder trickler to weigh each charge on a scale.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure

Enter the RCBS Chargemaster!
    Had my eye on this unit for a long time but couldn't justify it due to the way I load. I seldom change the charge weights (it's checked often but not changed) so it makes little sense to weigh each charge like the RCBS Chargemaster does. That unit meters and weighs every charge so there is no volume to weight conversion. It's perfect for the .375 Socom project! Ordered it yesterday.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/77...500-powder-scale-and-dispenser-combo-110-volt

Flash

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The components for our .375 Socom project are inbound so I bought something for the project yesterday.

There is zero data available for .375 Socom reloading, but we have the maximum data used for the actual SAAMI pressure tests. There's going to be a lot of load variables as we determine supersonic and subsonic loads for the .375 Socom below the SAAMI maximum charges.

Will the load function in the rifle if we use the silencer or will it also work without the silencer? Will a standard muzzle device (suppressor/brake/flash hider) provide enough back pressure to run the rifle action? There's gonna be lots of tinkering with the charge data making 5-6 cartridges with each load and it's pretty tedious setting the measures.

Usually, I select my load, set the charge weight on my powder measure and check it periodically. Not much fussing required. No need for an automated weighing device, Huh?

I have many powder measures including:
    4- RCBS Even Flow
    RCBS "Lil Dandy" with lots of rotors
    4 Dillon RL 550 Measures
    2 Lyman 55 measures
    Full set of Lee Dippers.

All of those measures take a volume of powder in a cavity within the powder measure and that equates to weight of the charge. If you just poured powder into the measure and it's all fluffy, weight will be much different than after you bang around the workbench and pack that powder down. The same volume of powder will vary in weight. That requires the measure to be free of knocking, tapping or jostling the powder inside.

The Lyman 55 even has a small hammer built into the measure base. Flip that hammer to give each charge the same amount of powder density every time. The conversion of dense or fluffy powder volume to weight is where we get our inaccuracy in powder charges. Check out the "knocker" on the front of the Lyman 55!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/703838/lyman-55-powder-measure

Enter the RCBS Chargemaster!
    Had my eye on this unit for a long time but couldn't justify it due to the way I load. I seldom change the charge weights (it's checked often but not changed) so it makes little sense to weigh each charge like the RCBS Chargemaster does. That unit meters and weighs every charge so there is no volume to weight conversion. It's perfect for the .375 Socom project! Ordered it yesterday.

Flash

You can say that again!

LOL

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Topk the 1858 Remington with the conversion cylinder to the range and tried the blacl powder cartridges. 20p grn lead rfn with 35 grains of powder. Worked great.
    a529a255e2e016894af172cdbc377292.jpg

The ones in the middle were aimed shots, the outliers were just point and shoot. Only took 24 rounds.so far I really like them. Just need to find an easy way to clean the brass. Way dirtier than smokeless powder.

from an idgit coffeeholic

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I know of a guy that drops them in a bucket of soapy water in his vehicle at the range. Get them soaking before the fouling gets a chance to get hard.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I found out what's wrong with my pro1000 press. Damaged carrier. Ordered enough parts to completely build a new one and have a spare. Should be here tomorrow. Then I'll set it up to start loading 9mm with the powder coat cast bullets I made.

I also picked up a 22 mag rifle. With any luck I'll find some ammo for it and get to the range Sunday to test it and my PC rounds.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Well, I tested my powder coat rounds and they worked OK. Got my pro1000 going again so I went full scale and loaded about 250 or so before my arm got tired. Gonna finish up through this week a little at a time here and there.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Picked up 500 large rifle and 500 large pistol primers. Also picked up an RCBS .50 AE die set for $18.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    That's a hell of a deal.

I finished off the last 200 of my powder coat bullets. Tumbled and sorted a few hundred 9mm, 45, 44, and 40 brass. Sized, flared, and primed 91 pieces of 44 mag brass. All while making dinner.

...Then wifey came in and got mad that I forgot to actually GIVE the dinner to the girls...

But, overall it was a productive evening. Might finish off those 44 mag rounds tonight if I can peel myself away from the TV! Started watching a series called 11.22.63 and I'm hooked...

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Ran some new loads thru my g34: misery bc 125 truncated coated over 4.5 time group.
    I did notice some caca in the bullets. Thought it was lead but rem oil and the plastic brush got it out in 2 passes.
    Maybe was the coating? Anyway I'm a happy camper

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Loaded up another couple of hundred 9mm's. What really took the time was 50 6.5 Grendel rounds that I'm really being particular about. Loaded them with IMR 8208 XBR which is a stick powder that always seem to meter a tenth or two of a grain under or over what I wanted. I need a trickler. I was either trying to dump a grain or two of powder out of the rounds into the hopper, or picking up a couple of grains of powder and sprinkling them into the case.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I finished my 44 mags today and dug out my other small batches of p.c. cast bullets. Going to load some slightly hotter and slightly weaker than the previous ones but going to change color of the bullets for each for easy ID and because I can :-)

fishingsetx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2015
    Pin tumbled ~750 9mm and ~100 .40 cal.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shoot....what a ride!"

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Finished loading 200 rounds of 300 Blackout 150 grain FMJ cartridges.

The reloading table, here has presses mounted one on each of 4 sides. To access the correct tool, I turn the entire table. Put some casters from Harbor Freight ($4.99 each) under each of the 4 table legs. I hope it will be stable enough to leave them there 24/7.

Getting set up to load .458 Socom with 300 grain Hornady bullets over H110 powder.

I have the RCBS motorized case prep tool and have become increasingly disappointed over the anemic deburring provided by the chamfer tool that cuts the outside surface of the case neck. It ain't shxt! In response, the Frankford Arsenal deburring gizmo arrived yesterday and it got a close inspection last night. The unit is of metal construction, is built like a tank and it's currently on sale at Midway. So I jumped.............

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/628405/frankford-arsenal-platinum-series-case-prep-and-trim-center

My RCBS case prep motorized unit is plastic but still have served well for many years.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/565099/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-110-volt

I called RCBS to see if there was a "fix" for the poor results from the case chamfer tool. In fact, there is a fix! The cutter has been redesigned with carbide cutters and RCBS guaranteed that one of those cutting heads would correct the problem. Still, he sent me replacement standard cutter for free. RCBS does not sell direct, so I called Midway for one of those carbide cutters. It is #653277 for $40.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/653377/rcbs-trim-mate-case-prep-center-carbide-deburring-tool

It appears that purchase of the Frankford Arsenal deburr equipment was unnecessary. We'll still give it a shot.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom