What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It's crazy that $50 a thousand is a great price nowadays.

It’s crazy that I’ve been considering getting a new hunting rifle in .308 Win, but I’m having to take into account that if I do get one, I’m gonna need spend almost $500 to grab 8 lbs of powder, since I haven’t really loaded that cartridge much. I have a few lbs of CFE223, a lb of Varget, and maybe a lb of 4895, but that will only take me through load development.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    It's crazy that $50 a thousand is a great price nowadays.
    Yes it is. Under normal circumstances I'd expect foreign competition to increase the domestic supply, but that doesn't seem to be the case. There seems to be plenty of 9mm ammo around that of course uses small pistol but domestic primers are still pricey. With these I'll be stocked up for a while. I bought a case of Winchesters a couple of months ago. I have another case of Winchesters from back in the day. That'll last me for about three years or a little more. Next up, some rimfire ammo and some 9mm factory. I'd like some Large Pistol primers but I can wait.

There's an election coming. Now is the time folks! My gut says it's time to stock up.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Finally looking over some results from some load testing yesterday. I started a new load using fsp-749 and 168gr speer hpbt. First time loading a powder with no published data so I worked up slowly. Last time testing I was barely getting to 2470fps with my previous max charge of 38.5gr. At 38.8 it started to shine(top left). At 39.2(2558avg fps, es33 sd11)it shot the best 3 shot group my 20" Howa ever laid down. I promptly screwed it up trying to make it a 5 shot group and pulled the 4th shot low right. At 39.4 it cleaned up and dropped the SD from 11 to 6 but group loosened.

Barrel was definitely getting hot after 18 straight shots. Turned into a shotgun getting over 2580 and 2600 fps with higher charges. Only slightly heavy bolt lift at 39.6 and 39.8 but accuracy fell off the map. No primer signs but tiny case head swipes at 39.8. The Federal gmm 168 averages 2541 in that rifle and my load at 39 was 2535 and right at an inch. Going to bump the 39gr load to 39.1 and the 39.2 a tenth as well.

Glad I got this powder to shoot as well as RE15 considering I gambled on 24 lbs of it. Lol. A few more tweaks and I'll batch out a few hundred.

Attachments

• IMG_20240728_133955149.jpg
      IMG_20240728_133955149.jpg
      358.7 KB · Views: 46

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Ordered a scope from Midway, so I picked up some 115 grain 6mm Berger VLD hunting boo-lats too. My 6mm creedmoor loves the 115 DTACS, so I’m hoping to have the same success with those. And since I got a new .308 rifle coming in, I also grabbed some different weight .308 match bullets to try out also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    Tumbled new-to-me 32 Miller Short brass. 75 pieces R-P 357 REM MAX, and 97 piece RWS 5.6X50R MAGNUM. Now have almost 300 cases segregated into three lots. Next step is to anneal and run through a 223 die then try each piece in my chamber. Those that fit will be primed and ladder tested with Accurate #9. Any that won't chamber will be trimmed and run through my friend's 32 Miller Short dies. Also have to cast the breech seating bullets. That should go smoothly, the mold is from Barnett and looks to be about 190-200 grains. Next match locally is in October, so plenty of time to fire form brass and select a load.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    2200 does seem a bit slow for that load. Published data shows 2700-2900. What's your overall length? The published data is 3.250" on the hodgdon site. Leaving the bullets long will cause lower pressures and velocities but if the gun likes it the roll with it. I'd also repeat your test with 5 shot groups for better data but that's just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    So I finally got to do a little more shooting yesterday through my chrony. It has been a while since I posted, but you may remember I had some really slow rounds with IMR 4350, which was probably 20+ years old. But I didn't detect any of the signs of deteriated powder.

Anyway, I had loaded up some IMR 4350 , 57.0 gr., pushing a 150 gr. bullet (Hornady Interlock). Since then, I have decided to try some H4350. So I loaded up some 57.0 gr, 57.4 and 57.8 gr. Since I am kinda a tightwad, I only did 2 rounds each.

Once again, the IMR4350 yielded SLOW results ( in the 1900s). But the 57.0 anf 57.4 gr. of H4350 were in the 2900s. The 57.8 loads were 2999 and 3021. So it does look like my chrony is consistent (maybe even accurate,lol).

But I am pleased with the results . So I believe I will pull the few rounds I have left with the IMR 4350 (although they did seem pretty accurate and even somewhat constent with the H4350, in spite of being 1000 fps slower). But I might save them for the next time I go hog hunting.

But to throw another variable into the equation, I have been doing this shooting with a Ruger #1, which years ago did not seem very accurate. So I have tinkered around with it and removed a little wood in the forearm, hoping to improve accuracy. So I do need to try these rounds out in my Winchester model 70 as well.

But in conclusion, it looks like I need to scrap the IMR 4350 powder since it is so old and apparently has deteriated to some degree.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    That's a bummer, I have several cans of old powder I'm hoping all burns like it should. I'll be seriously disappointed if it has issues. Passes the smell test, no rusty looking fine dust in it and most are still sealed, fingers crossed.
    Keep in mind that my sense of smell is not the best. So maybe I am just not smelling it.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    First I sorted 200 .38 cases that came out of the tumbler. I decided to experiment a little. I have one of those lame-ass Harbor Freight two cylinder tumblers. I put a splash of liquid Lemon Shine in one but not the other. That stuff made a big difference.

Then I loaded 200 rounds of .38 Special while watching the Stock Market tank. Since everybody likes pictures:

big.gif

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    So I finally got to do a little more shooting yesterday through my chrony. It has been a while since I posted, but you may remember I had some really slow rounds with IMR 4350, which was probably 20+ years old. But I didn't detect any of the signs of deteriated powder.

Anyway, I had loaded up some IMR 4350 , 57.0 gr., pushing a 150 gr. bullet (Hornady Interlock). Since then, I have decided to try some H4350. So I loaded up some 57.0 gr, 57.4 and 57.8 gr. Since I am kinda a tightwad, I only did 2 rounds each.

Once again, the IMR4350 yielded SLOW results ( in the 1900s). But the 57.0 anf 57.4 gr. of H4350 were in the 2900s. The 57.8 loads were 2999 and 3021. So it does look like my chrony is consistent (maybe even accurate,lol).

But I am pleased with the results . So I believe I will pull the few rounds I have left with the IMR 4350 (although they did seem pretty accurate and even somewhat constent with the H4350, in spite of being 1000 fps slower). But I might save them for the next time I go hog hunting.

But to throw another variable into the equation, I have been doing this shooting with a Ruger #1, which years ago did not seem very accurate. So I have tinkered around with it and removed a little wood in the forearm, hoping to improve accuracy. So I do need to try these rounds out in my Winchester model 70 as well.

But in conclusion, it looks like I need to scrap the IMR 4350 powder since it is so old and apparently has deteriated to some degree.
    I think you have it pinned down, chorny is accurate, 4350 is going bad.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Top Bottom