What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    On the way home from the range today I stopped to pick up an Amazon order at the Whole Foods Amazon desk (no shipping charges). I ordered some more MTM ammo boxes (they're just $2.99 on Amazon) because my .41 Magnum production outstripped my storage capability.

I boxed them up and DOH! it didn't come out even. Not sure how that happened as I load primers in 100's. I had 705 rounds and two empty MTM boxes. Might as well load 45 more to make a full box. Then there's just one empty box. What the heck might as well load one more box since the Dillon is all setup. I think I'm stopping at 800 rounds. That'll last a while. TIme to get back to .38. But I think I'll shoot the .41 next week.

I hate the 100 rounds boxes because they don't fit in my range bag very well. I did notice the new 50 round boxes are different from my older ones. The old hinge won't let the lid open all the way and stay there. It springs partially closed. The new ones are the same as the 100 round boxes where the hinge allows the lid to fold completely back and lay flat. The Plano boxes suck (there's two in the stack).

20240625_144847.jpg
    20240625_152342.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    After loading my 85+ boxes of 9mm I ran out of brass. I should be good for a while. So last night I converted the lee 6 stage for 40cal. I have about 1200 or so brass to run through. I have the lee 4 stage setup for 223 already so I might run those first. Decisions, decisions...
    70178546fcfb56c65300c26dfcf34d1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    On the way home from the range today I stopped to pick up an Amazon order at the Whole Foods Amazon desk (no shipping charges). I ordered some more MTM ammo boxes (they're just $2.99 on Amazon) because my .41 Magnum production outstripped my storage capability.

I boxed them up and DOH! it didn't come out even. Not sure how that happened as I load primers in 100's. I had 705 rounds and two empty MTM boxes. Might as well load 45 more to make a full box. Then there's just one empty box. What the heck might as well load one more box since the Dillon is all setup. I think I'm stopping at 800 rounds. That'll last a while. TIme to get back to .38. But I think I'll shoot the .41 next week.

I hate the 100 rounds boxes because they don't fit in my range bag very well. I did notice the new 50 round boxes are different from my older ones. The old hinge won't let the lid open all the way and stay there. It springs partially closed. The new ones are the same as the 100 round boxes where the hinge allows the lid to fold completely back and lay flat. The Plano boxes suck (there's two in the stack).

View attachment 458786View attachment 458787

Yeah you gotta spring fir the $6 box to get the lid that stays open.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Yeah you gotta spring fir the $6 box to get the lid that stays open.

Nope. I think they changed that. The old box was molded as one piece so the "hinge" is just a web of plastic. The new ones I just got for $2.39 (UPC 026057108292) are molded in two pieces, with one being the knuckle and the other the leaf. I also noticed the new ones are slightly larger. A .41 Magnum round will fit nose-up whereas the old one won't.

20240626_084834.jpg
    20240626_084817.jpg

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    I ordered another powder measure and set it up. It's a Lee Auto-Drum. Not sure I like it all that much but it seems to throw W231 very accurately.

They brag in their literature about its abilities with difficult powders so I used my acid test: 800-X. If you think 700-X is difficult to measure, try 800-X. It's tough. The Auto-Drum didn't do well with it but neither do most measures.

I don't like having to shut it off and remove the hopper to refill it. On the Auto-Disk you can just take off the top and pour some in.

The top metal portion where the bottle inserts is kind of rough and makes it difficult to insert/remove the bottle. I can probably fix that.

The other thing I don't like is that the body of the measure holds a lot of powder. Takes a bit to empty when you're done.

The "valve" on the hopper is only held on with a single screw. Since mine is difficult to remove it popped off track once. Eh, it'll work but I'm not sure I'd buy another. I'll just leave it on my .38 Special toolhead.

In the process of checking it out I loaded 50 rounds of .38 with some cast wadcutters.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I have literally thousands of pieces of Lake City 5.56 brass that I’ve been accumulating. Decided I need to start prepping some of it. I’m using a Mighty Armory decapping die to decap, and their swaging bit to swage the primer pockets. Got enough done to get the tumbler running and clean it a bit before I anneal and resize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I loaded 500+ cast 40cal loads before I ran out of bullets. Switched to a plated 180gr and ran another 100 or so before heading out. I have about 200 pieces of brass left so I'll run those through tonight. I also got a new 50rd gauge block in the mail for 40cal so if I have time I might run these all through the block to check them.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Sorting out the odd stuff under the bench - small containers of brass and bullets. Re-sized a few 308W to make sure they fit, one needs trimming.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I run a lee fcd and save myself the hassle of gauging them. Never have had an issue in about 15 years of reloading 9mm. Plenty of people indifferent to lee stuff but I dig it.
    I have the factory crimp die but even with that I've had rounds out of spec and don't drop in the gauge. I picked up the gauges just to further refine my loads. The way I see it, anything that can be measured can be improved. I did notice about 1 to 1.5 percent of the 40 cal did not gauge. I have a feeling its some bad boolits i had cast causing them not to gauge though. Im going to recheck them when i have more free time.

It's seems the 9mm is passing at a much better rate though. Out of 5 boxes last night I think she had 2 or 3 that didn't seat in the gaige.

Top Bottom