What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    IMG_1122.png

Cost to reload .410 with reclaimed shot.
    This calculation is not using free hulls.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm looking at getting back into it. Priced out powder and components today. Holy crap. :roflsmile:

At least it's available I guess.
    Buy in bulk! Look at American reloading. They usually have primers now and their powder selection changes daily. They have a lot of pull down bullets as well for cheap. If you sign up for their emails you'll get a daily email after they add all their stuff for the day. Usually it's updated around 3 or 4 I believe.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Buy in bulk! Look at American reloading. They usually have primers now and their powder selection changes daily. They have a lot of pull down bullets as well for cheap. If you sign up for their emails you'll get a daily email after they add all their stuff for the day. Usually it's updated around 3 or 4 I believe.

Thanks, I will give them a look. Thankfully I am quite stocked up on primers. Not so much on powder or bullets. Wish I could find Speer .357 jacketed bullets anywhere. Bought a box of them in 2020, really liked them, got a good load dialed in and now they are like hen's teeth.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Reloading? I'm not sure what that is. I have a press mounted to my bench I see every day.
    Yep I sit at mine thinking about ordering more ammo it's much faster than loading and about the same cost if you buy in bulk. Never thought I'd be buying factory ammo after hand loading for 40 years.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    It's still cost effective for the cartridges I was loading because factory ammo is hard to find and ridiculously expensive. I just haven't had the time. But yes, with the price of components plus the time spent working up a load, it's hard to justify for some rounds.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    plus the time spent working up a load, it's hard to justify for some rounds.

You're thinking about it all wrong. I don't see it as costing me time to reload. I see it as giving me something to do to keep my hands busy and my mind occupied. I could be mindlessly scrolling youtube or Facebook so this is a better hobby for me for sure. Plus I need to stay busy.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    You're thinking about it all wrong. I don't see it as costing me time to reload. I see it as giving me something to do to keep my hands busy and my mind occupied. I could be mindlessly scrolling youtube or Facebook so this is a better hobby for me for sure. Plus I need to stay busy.

A valid point. I'd say, if it's not costing you more than factory and you want to do it, knock yourself out. You can still save around a buck on 9mm with current component costs.

I'm loading some 9mm right now. Mostly because I have a bunch of components for it and I've only messed with it off and on over the years. It's a change of pace for me and I could stand to get out of the rut I've been stuck in.

So I've cleaned the .38's and put them away and I'm going to shoot my 9mm 1911 in 9mm for a while and see if I can get it to work for me. Then I'll switch to the other 1911 in .45 ACP. I've never really settled on a standard load for either and I need to do that. Then I'll load up 1,000 rounds of each and come back to the revolvers. I do this every once in a while.

I'm also hoping to start bullet casting again this winter, after a 40 year hiatus. I'm tired of sitting around. I could get a job but I don't want to work evenings or weekends (when the rest of the family is off) and all the gun stores / ranges seem to require that.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went and shot some of the .308 factory second 175 grain SMK’s. Second time out with these, and was testing some different seating depths. At 43.3 grains, I had good velocity for a 16” barrel, and ES and SD numbers were amazing! But at 2.80 OAL, groups weren’t what I wanted. I had heard the Hornady podcast that said seating depth had no effect on group size, but my past experiences showed me different. Found a couple sweet spots, one was right at .015 jump, and another at about .035. Loaded up 10 each at those lengths and hoping to verify tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    This weekend I had time so I finished up another batch of about 450x 223. I started to clean my bench and remembered I got an 8 pounder of powder to use for my AK rounds. I had brass prepped for the last couple years sitting around so I dusted it off and hand primed a little over 1k of it. I'll work on some test loads soon but want to finish 223 first so started sizing about 300+ pieces of brass. I'll finish those tonight and start trimming them. I'd like to finish all the 223 before starting the run of 7.62x39.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So I was running that 223 brass on my case prep station. Trim, chamfer, deburr, ream primer pockets. The reaming is the worst part. Having to hold the brass by hand and all.

Then I remembered I had an APP press with a swage die. I fired that guy up and was able to swage all the brass easily. Well, maybe not easily but much easier than reaming. I got it all swaged and got about half of the brass prepped. I'll do some more before bed and finish it tomorrow.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    So I was running that 223 brass on my case prep station. Trim, chamfer, deburr, ream primer pockets. The reaming is the worst part. Having to hold the brass by hand and all.

Then I remembered I had an APP press with a swage die. I fired that guy up and was able to swage all the brass easily. Well, maybe not easily but much easier than reaming. I got it all swaged and got about half of the brass prepped. I'll do some more before bed and finish it tomorrow.

I got a swage die from Mighty Armory, and it has definitely saved my hands!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom