What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    When I started loading 44 spcl I couldn't find any of the powder I wanted to try. I got some 700-X and tried it. I've got all kinds of powder now but I still use it. It could fill the case a little more but I like it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    When I started loading 44 spcl I couldn't find any of the powder I wanted to try. I got some 700-X and tried it. I've got all kinds of powder now but I still use it. It could fill the case a little more but I like it.

I think most of those larger cases are that way. It seems my 45 Long Colt cases are not THAT full when using Nitro 100, but man is that a nice, low-recoil, accurate round. My wife loves to shoot that gun.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I'm using 4.3 gr if titegroup in my 9mm with a 115 gr bullet. I notice the case is only about half full.

The previous rounds I loaded with parabellum research were 6.2gr if power pistol and that was a pretty full case. I was loading 124 gr bullets and I'm pretty sure there wasn't much space left after seating those.

How full are your 38s with 2.9 gr?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I went to Hicksville today and EMPTIED a few hundred cases so I get to load them AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess this is the reverse of what most people post here about reloading. (UNLOADING?)
    just sayin'

bob

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    One begets the other, if you're doing it right!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm using 4.3 gr if titegroup in my 9mm with a 115 gr bullet. I notice the case is only about half full.

The previous rounds I loaded with parabellum research were 6.2gr if power pistol and that was a pretty full case. I was loading 124 gr bullets and I'm pretty sure there wasn't much space left after seating those.

as you know the 38 case is much larger than the 9mm
    under 3 gr of Titegroup is a pretty small amount in that case

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    as you know the 38 case is much larger than the 9mm
    under 3 gr of Titegroup is a pretty small amount in that case

THats one nice thing about loading low-recoil loads for revolver. Use a lot less powder.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016
    I think he's talking about high volume cases having too little powder in them going KA-BOOM! on ignition. .357 & .44 had issues with this for quite some time years ago before folks figured out that inert material case filling would resolve the problem.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think he's talking about high volume cases having too little powder in them going KA-BOOM! on ignition. .357 & .44 had issues with this for quite some time years ago before folks figured out that inert material case filling would resolve the problem.

KA-BOOM on ignition? Isn't that what Orbitup was addressing? I understand too much powder but the only problem with too little powder is a stuck case in a barrel. The following round might cause a problem though! :green:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

For what It's worth - I usually load 3.5g of Titegroup in 38 specials with 158 grain bullets. I've never had any issues with it. I loaded a pile of .357 mags with Titegroup too and shot them this weekend - again, no problems but the cases were very large next to the amount of powder that went in them.

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    I tried to reload .223 cases, but somewhere in the resizing and removing the crimp on the cases, I made the necks too big and the bullets slip in. Until I figure out how to fix them, I switched to the .40 S&W and sized/ deprimed them.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I tried to reload .223 cases, but somewhere in the resizing and removing the crimp on the cases, I made the necks too big and the bullets slip in. Until I figure out how to fix them, I switched to the .40 S&W and sized/ deprimed them.

Are you sure you sized them? I've had that happen to me once, it was just a brain fart.

jpatm2

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    Not 100%, which sucks because I primed them. But I will set them aside and try with some of the other 5000 that I have.

Top Bottom