What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Most crimped LC brass isn't too bad to deprime but I have had a few that were very stubborn. I have even had a few that the decapper punched a hole right through.

Usually if they give more than normal resistance I pull them back out to make sure they aren't Berdan primers. It is easy to miss an odd case then bend your decapper.

A punch will do the trick with the above stated socket underneath the case.

The Lee hammer kit is about the same as the Lee decapping die as far as strength goes. They work well but a good steel punch should have them both beat.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I've had some 7.62x39 that was a real bear on my press. In particular, the hornady cases and one military stamp. The military rounds had a tough crimp but once it was removed it was fine. The hornady rounds are still a bitch to get primed with my hand primer though. It takes all I have with both hands. A few of those and my hands hurt. Iirc, s&B is a pain to reprime as well.

Will a swaging fix that?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I've had some 7.62x39 that was a real bear on my press. In particular, the hornady cases and one military stamp. The military rounds had a tough crimp but once it was removed it was fine. The hornady rounds are still a bitch to get primed with my hand primer though. It takes all I have with both hands. A few of those and my hands hurt. Iirc, s&B is a pain to reprime as well.

Will a swaging fix that?
    If you use a press type swager then it should help. They not only remove the crimp but they run up into the pocket too. It should stretch it out a bit.

I guess a cutter would do it too.

LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Loaded 200-45acp with the last of the 200gn hollow points, and 200 rounds of 45 colt using Blackhorn209. Blackhorn is dirty to shoot but cleans up easily, just lots of soot.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I made (14) .30 Remington cases from .30 Winchester cases in my drill press. I used half-round bastard files and some jewelers files to remove the rim and cut the new extraction groove.

It takes about 6 or 8 minutes for each case and the hands get tired after a few.

I'll keep making them a few at a time until I have a few hundred.

They look as good as the Winchester 30-30 converted to 30 Remington that I bought from Colorado Custom Cartridge Company.
    They fit and feed so I will load a few for testing.

bob

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Looks like I need to go to cabelas and get some. Thinking of switching from the HAP 9mm bullets to some cheap lead or Berry's plated bullets for 1000 rounds to see if I can get decent accuracy for plinkers using lead. I've never had decent lead rounds though so I'm not sure here. Any thoughts?

Also, my primer pockets... I have a Lyman orange tool that has reamers to remove crimps. I've put it through some of the hornady cases VERY lightly and haven't notice a difference really. Probably gonna have to try a swaging rig. Anyone have one I can rent maybe? Also, does it help with depth uniforming or just diameter?

Meanwhile, u sized and deprimed ~500 more 9mm yesterday. Today I'm going to start priming. I only have 400 primers though. I got a few hornady nickel cases from my father in law so I'm curious about their pockets as well.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I've nearly completed a remodel of my cabinet that holds all my loaded ammo, bullets, primers, and empty cases. 'Been meaning to clean it out for a long time. Ended up adding a few shelves in the larger spaces.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Looks like I need to go to cabelas and get some. Thinking of switching from the HAP 9mm bullets to some cheap lead or Berry's plated bullets for 1000 rounds to see if I can get decent accuracy for plinkers using lead. I've never had decent lead rounds though so I'm not sure here. Any thoughts?

Also, my primer pockets... I have a Lyman orange tool that has reamers to remove crimps. I've put it through some of the hornady cases VERY lightly and haven't notice a difference really. Probably gonna have to try a swaging rig. Anyone have one I can rent maybe? Also, does it help with depth uniforming or just diameter?

Meanwhile, u sized and deprimed ~500 more 9mm yesterday. Today I'm going to start priming. I only have 400 primers though. I got a few hornady nickel cases from my father in law so I'm curious about their pockets as well.

Are you having a hard time seating the primers? I don't recall seeing any Hornady cases with crimped in primers but they could be out there. If the cutter isn't doing much then they may not be crimped in primers. You only need to swage crimped primer pockets.

Swaging rigs just remove crimps and on some cases expand the primer pocket slightly. They don't address depth.

I have a RCBS swage die set and have had a Dillon swager in the past. They work the same but honestly I prefer to cut them. Swaging crimps out can expand and warp the head of the case. This is a problem with little cases like the 5.7. I had some of those that wouldn't fit into a shell holder afterwards. Too little swage and a primer wouldn't go in, too much and the rim of the case was expanded. Cutting is much more forgiving.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    I made (14) .30 Remington cases from .30 Winchester cases in my drill press. I used half-round bastard files and some jewelers files to remove the rim and cut the new extraction groove.

It takes about 6 or 8 minutes for each case and the hands get tired after a few.

They look as good as the Winchester 30-30 converted to 30 Remington that I bought from Colorado Custom Cartridge Company.

bob

What are the odds of you posting a video of that process?

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Bought another 1000 small pistol primers....cabelas had em cheap :)

sent from: wait, where am I!?

How cheap? I wonder if gander will price match? I don't have a cabelas nearby.
    i almost croaked when I saw wideners had no primers at all and not much powder, PV wasn't much better.
    it looks like I'll need to try and orchestrate a split buy on powder/primers! I've had good success when I've done this in the past but that's when I had Wideners in my pocket.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas

I prefer copper plated bullets for cheap plinking. Straight lead bullets are too much of a hassle. Copper plated bullets are a little more forgiving than lead as far as velocity and leading.

I have used Berry's, Ranier, and a few others with good results. Even the Laser Cast uncoated bullets have worked well but they do leave lube in the barrel which cleans up easily.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    How cheap? I wonder if gander will price match? I don't have a cabelas nearby.
    i almost croaked when I saw wideners had no primers at all and not much powder, PV wasn't much better.
    it looks like I'll need to try and orchestrate a split buy on powder/primers! I've had good success when I've done this in the past but that's when I had Wideners in my pocket.
    $26.99 before tax

sent from: wait, where am I!?

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    That's a good deal, I've only got primers cheaper than that once in the past year.

Some type of special offer?

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob

What are the odds of you posting a video of that process?

I have a Sony camcorder video 8 from the 1990s but I haven't used for it a few decades. I think my wife's Nikon takes short videos but I don't know about 5+ minutes. (memory limit???)

If someone wanted to video over my shoulder for a few minutes I could try to upload??? I don't even know what format is used these days. MPEG, AVI??????????????? Maybe a few pics??? My wife also has a few Apple Iphone 5s (personal and work) that can take video but I never used them.

I still use a Samsung 'flip-phone' so call me a dinosaur.

Anyone in the Wise County area that can video???????????? I keep my shop at 65 to 70 degrees in the Winter so I stay comfortable. You won't freeze. TV, Stereo and Cold Beer (after 5:00PM).

P.S. Rebel
    I am now looking to buy a Remington Model 14. I think I'm 'hooked' on 30 Remington. I am going to bid on one online in the next hour.

My neighbor won't part with his because his Dad gave it to him in the 1950s or 1960s. He does want some ammo. He said he might leave it to me in his Will but he is only 8 years older than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by motorcarman

bob

I have a Sony camcorder video 8 from the 1990s but I haven't used for it a few decades. I think my wife's Nikon takes short videos but I don't know about 5+ minutes. (memory limit???)

If someone wanted to video over my shoulder for a few minutes I could try to upload??? I don't even know what format is used these days. MPEG, AVI??????????????? Maybe a few pics??? My wife also has a few Apple Iphone 5s (personal and work) that can take video but I never used them.

I still use a Samsung 'flip-phone' so call me a dinosaur.

Anyone in the Wise County area that can video???????????? I keep my shop at 65 to 70 degrees in the Winter so I stay comfortable. You won't freeze. TV, Stereo and Cold Beer (after 5:00PM).

P.S. Rebel
    I am now looking to buy a Remington Model 14. I think I'm 'hooked' on 30 Remington. I am going to bid on one online in the next hour.

My neighbor won't part with his because his Dad gave it to him in the 1950s or 1960s. He does want some ammo. He said he might leave it to me in his Will but he is only 8 years older than me!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bob
    I have a camera.
    WOOOHOOOO.
    I just bid on (and won on Gun Broker) a Remington Model 14. I read that Savage also sold rifles chambered for the .30 Remington. Maybe I'll collect all three??????

bob
    Sweet!

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom