What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    There's an insert in the Dillon die you can flip over to go from flat point to round nose. Thinking about the shape of the hollow points I probably would've been better off using the flat point (should minimize the bullet wonkyness)

Nice catch, much appreciated.

Heck, don't thank me... I'm a noob just learning the ropes myself. I started thinking about the flat vs hollow bullet seated AFTER I already loaded my 500 rounds.... Any that mic'd too long I set aside and adjusted the die down another .005 and reseated. Any more that were still long went down another .005.

Glad I could help though. That's cool that the Dillon has the flat and hollow option. I wonder if my Lee has that? I'm guessing that at half the price of the Dillons, it probably doesn't...

I examined my first 50 HAPs and my first 50 XTPs by eye (and with as precise measurements I could figure out) but could not find any discernable difference in bullet wonkiness... I was trying to see if there was a difference if I didn't square up the bullet properly. My dies seemed to take the guess work out of it for the 115 gr, but when making some 95gr XTPs they would come out a little tipped over. I could turn them in my calibers and find a difference in 90 degrees indicating to me that the bullet was not seated square.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A few days ago, I loaded up some .45-70 for my M1884 Trapdoor, putting a few aside for the M1873 Trapdoor at my grandparent's house. If I have time, I'd like to take the old gal out hunting this year. The weather has been questionable the few opportunities I've had thus far, so the .243 700 has gone out instead.

Gramps

Cultured Pirate
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Central Houston
    RP - Do you have a case gauge? They are about $20 and make it super simple, super easy to see if the round is in spec. I have one from Dillion, bought throw Brian Enos. After loading for the evening I'd run each finished cartridge in the gague, had maybe 1 of every 500 that would not fit, normally due to a case issue. But then I was loading plinking ammo to fit a glock, with a moderate powder charge, so absolute precision was not required.

Last night I clean off the old loading bench, not I gotta get my RL550B back!

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Yesterday did an inventory of everything but brass. Tomorrow morning will be that little project.

Also plan on designing a reloading/work bench this weekend.

Received some antique 10 gauge shotshell reloading implements from the Flea-Bay.

Yes. I have lost my mind.

You're gonna need a bigger shop...

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Yesterday did an inventory of everything but brass. Tomorrow morning will be that little project.

Also plan on designing a reloading/work bench this weekend.

You're gonna need a bigger shop...

Naaaaa........everything will fit in a cigar box.
    Thats the thing with these real Old School reload sets. The entire thing is a few small tools and a roll crimper. They sold everything you needed together in a kit.
    Its been fun tracking them down and acquiring one in each gauge.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'm thinking about maybe going down to the Man Cave (reloading area) and possibly cleaning up and reorganizing my shelves and cabinets that I keep all my reloading supplies piled in.

Naw! Going to plan B. I'm gonna' take a nap. Maybe later I'll head to the Cave (with some beer!). :green:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I tore apart 35 .338 Lapua rounds that were a little on the hot side. Then I loaded 50 more rounds for testing.

Hopefully the weather cooperates for me to shoot them.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I tore apart 35 .338 Lapua rounds that were a little on the hot side. Then I loaded 50 more rounds for testing.

Hopefully the weather cooperates for me to shoot them.

Good luck. I'm waiting on UPS for some bullets.
    Looks like delivery is gonna be delayed.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Loaded 1700 9mm.

IMG_20151227_213903.jpg

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Round testing!! Yesterday I took my wife's father, brother, and cousin to lonestar. Her cousin is a month out of basic and based at fort Hood. He and I were pushing the AK at 300 yards using tula, wolf, barnal, and whatever other surplus crap I had. I was surprised. I put out 20 rounds of tula I had previously reseated with 110 gr varmenter .308 bullets. They hit at the 300 a few times on a silhouette but were all over the place at that range.

The real test though, I put out 20 of my 110gr v-max .308 loads. They did good out to 200 yards. After that they were all over the place too. I gotta say this AK still impresses me more and more each time I shoot it. I want to try some heavier bullets and see if they do any better at the 300 yard mark.

I also put 50 test rounds through the arisaka with my 120gr A-max loads. These pushed 300 yard very consistently, much to my delight! I wish I had a paper target at that range so I could better see what the actual groups would be. Now that I have my load down I'm going to bed and scope.

Also, spent some time trying out 250 rounds of my 115gt 9mm XTPs. Good accuracy, feed, consistency, and range. I even put a few out on the 100 yard line using a rest under the front of the frame for stabilization. I couldn't see very well but out of 15 rounds the 3 guys said I hit a few. I'm very happy with the XTP load I have.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Framed a 10x13 corner of my 2 car garage for a new reloading room. Will finish roughing in the electrical and hopefully start insulation and sheet rock next week.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Pumped out 300 rounds of .40 ammo and 280 rounds of 5.56 ammo. Also, watched a video on forming 270AR cases which will be my next build.

Top Bottom