What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LFHenderson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    50 rounds of 300wm in .5 grain steps ( 5 each step) uploadfromtaptalk1449968768652.jpg

Sent from somewhere.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Sized, deprimed & cleaned ~60 .223 brass cases. Sorted through 28 lbs of brass I was given. Holy Cow - that took a bit. I have to re-think my brass storage now.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Discovered that my sizing die had backed out a bit... Not sure when.

Decided I need to:
    1) Check the last few batches
    2) Start writing dates on reloads
    3) Be more diligent in checking the dies

freqlord

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2015
    Finally getting my reloading bench setup at the temporary residence after the move from CO.

Resized some 223, but since the table that I've been using wasn't sturdy, I've just been decapping some 223 until I can get some wood to redo the legs.

By then I'll probably have about 1k pieces waiting to be tumbled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    There's a guy here by the name of deavis. Mistook him for dawico for quite a while actually. He runs a reloading business up in buda and offered for.me.to come use his equipment at no charge. I ran a Dillon 1050 for 1000 rounds of 9mm. Made quick work of it. After I calculated the savings/time ratio I figured I might as well get into it. After I for the AK had the 308 bore and I saw the improvements just from swapping out bullets in tulammo, I decided it was worth more time and effort. That and I'm reloading hornady HAP 9mm for about 20¢ each... More accurate and less expensive than the Winchester white box at Wally world.

Owe it all to deavis.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Finnished checking the last batch of 9mm reloads since discovering the resizing die had backed out.

624 good, 208 chamber in limited orientation, 15 won't chamber.

Also found that some bullets that weren't seated completely straight can nick the edge of the rifling when rotated.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    What dies are you using? I believe my Lee set has a full length sizer on the seating die. I guess I never thought much about it but if you had a situation like yours I guess it's an extra backup.

Are they not chambering because the bottom of the case is bulged? And he did the bullets not get seated right?

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    What dies are you using?

Dillon, but the dies are fine, I've got a vague memory of unscrewing it due to a stuck case a while ago... I've got a suspicion that I didn't set it up properly again. Whilst I check powder & OAL each session I've (regrettably) not been checking case dimensions.

Are they not chambering because the bottom of the case is bulged?

Yep

And he did the bullets not get seated right?

They're 9mm 115gr HP (not much skirt). It seems that when these are placed atop the belled case mouth if the bullet is a few degrees off vertical when pressed into the case it can be seen in the final round (ie the die doesn't ensure perfect alignment).

As I run a reasonably long OAL that's enough (with HP's) to get the bullet to scrape the rifling. ie. the tilt effectively changes the Ogive on one side.

I've learn't a lot from this, but do wish I'd spotted it sooner...

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Ya, sounds like you whipped up quite a bit before you caught it. But, better to make a mistake like that than to make a powder mistake and risk a squib or double charge.

Does your Dillon die have a flat bullet seated or does it have a hollowed out one to seat from the ogive?

My Lee die has a hollowed one that seats from the ogive. It worked great on my HAP rounds but when I kept it set the same for the XTPs I noticed right away the OAL changed.

The jacket of the HAP is rounded over the lead core which makes them VERY consistent. I really can't express enough how impressed I've been with these bullets. My OAL variance was about +.0015/-.0020.

The XTPs do not wrap around the core and have a slightly jagged edge on the jacket. I noticed the OAL on these varied +.0100/-.0050.

I'm curious to see if these will be as accurate as the HAP? If not I may need to either get a die with a flat seater or grind this one down maybe.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    There's an insert in the Dillon die you can flip over to go from flat point to round nose. Thinking about the shape of the hollow points I probably would've been better off using the flat point (should minimize the bullet wonkyness)

Nice catch, much appreciated.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom