Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    A lot of it came with greater understanding of the internal combustion engine. Engineers were looking for a way to accomplish what couldn't be done mechanically, and electronic controls answer that need.

For instance, lets take something as simple as ignition timing. In the old days, we had points and fixed timing. Set it once, and that's what you got. The cam opened and closed the points gap just like a camshaft opens and closes your valves. It was somewhat ideal at only one operating point, everything else was a big compromise. That evolved to mechanical advance with weights and springs to respond to RPM changes. Then we added vacuum advance to add the concept of engine load into the equation. The next evolution brought in the desire to alter spark timing independent of both of these variables, allowing us to run high compression engines without the need for extremely high octane fuels to curb detonation. The only way to accomplish this was with electronic ignition. Then we figured out we could tune it even more aggressively and get even more power and efficiency by adding sensor inputs and lookup tables inside a microcontroller. Today we have adaptive algorithms that model the actual operating conditions inside the cylinder and use sensor inputs to match actual to the model.

Now add in all of the other powertrain evolutions, and there's simply no way to make a motor and transmission operate the way we've come to expect. We don't have to stab the gas to inject the extra fuel needed at startup, and set the choke to restrict airflow to artificially richen the mixture so it'll idle. We just push a button and expect the motor to flawlessly start itself and idle perfectly, weather conditions not even a concern. We expect no hiccups, surges, stalls, consistent power application, glassy smooth idle, AND good gas mileage. None of this is possible without electronics, and if you think back only a few decades you'll certainly remember all the things you now take for granted.

This.

As much as I absolutely love an old muscle car and would take one as a toy over a newer one, you’ll never get the same power out of that old steel bodied carbureted monster.

Market driven advancement would have brought us down the same road, with manufacturers always competing for power and economy driven by consumers.

With or without government, if they could make an EV that got 400 miles per charge and could charge up in 10 minutes for the price of a IC equivalent the sales numbers would be high enough to crash the grid within a month or 2. Personally, I’m generally ok with market driven changes. If it’s in the wrong direction it’s because we usually aren’t being loud enough to drive the market.

Anyways, any updates on Ukraine?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    This guy has the Scat Pack Challenger. It’s a sweet car. He’s offered to let me drive it but o decline due to lack of self control.

I drove someones Scat Pack after I repeatedly said that I’d wrap it around a pole and it wasn’t a good idea. They finally convinced me to do what I wanted to do and I drove it. They told me to have fun and put it in track mode for me. I got slideways in it multiple times and it sounded absolutely amazing. I was grinning ear to ear for about an hour. When I got home, I went to the Dodge website and “built” one how I would want it. After I saw the price tag, I decided it wasn’t for me.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Tesla hikes car prices after Elon
    Musk issues inflation warning

"Tesla is raising prices for its entire electric car lineup – a move that came days after CEO Elon Musk warned the firm was under “significant” inflationary pressure given the rising cost of key commodities following the Russian invasion of Ukraine"
    Did you see Rivian marked their’s up $12k last week or week before?

Tesla is already up about $10k from a year ago.

A friend got his about three weeks ago, $61k for a Model 3 Performance.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Did you see Rivian marked their’s up $12k last week or week before?

Tesla is already up about $10k from a year ago.

A friend got his about three weeks ago, $61k for a Model 3 Performance.

10 years ago you could get a 1 ton diesel for around $40k also. Now they are closer to $50k+

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Huh, that's not something I ever expected to see. I didn't know Sub 2Ks really made it out of the US.

038751e05560c5d64b9a4f668e048f67.jpg

The Wikipedia edit is obviously a joke, but it's kinda interesting what all guns are turning up in Ukraine.

Interview starts at about 10:30. He pulls out the Sub 2K at about 12:20.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    A little about the man we're dealing with, looks like if he were taken out then another despot would just take his place.

I don't buy into Putin trying to recreate the USSR. After all this time, he hasn't attempted to reestablish the Central Committee.....just maintain a simple dictatorship. If anything, he's like the typical crime syndicate boss. And, if the boss starts costing the syndicate money, there are plenty that will bump him off for new leadership.....and many of those are former KGB as well....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Just watched Zelenskyy's plea to Congress. He showed a compelling video, showing the suffering over there. Mostly of the children. The main ask seems to be for a no-fly zone. Any guesses as to where this is heading?

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Just watched Zelenskyy's plea to Congress. He showed a compelling video, showing the suffering over there. Mostly of the children. The main ask seems to be for a no-fly zone. Any guesses as to where this is heading?

Yeah - he's trying to drag NATO into his fight. That means direct confrontation between the US and Russia. Establishing a No-Fly Zone will be seen as an act of war. That'll give Putin's regime the green light to start attacking other European nations and maybe even the United States.

As important as the Ukraine is for its neon gas - they aren't the only source. I'd rather stave off actual hot WW3 by NOT engaging the Russians - let them have Ukraine and make it clear that moving on NATO member nations will be met with first-strike nuclear attack on invading forces. Put Putin in his place while giving him the win. Black market weapons can flow into Ukraine to supply a resistance. I'm far more concerned with China taking Taiwan than I am in Russia taking the Ukraine.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah - he's trying to drag NATO into his fight. That means direct confrontation between the US and Russia. Establishing a No-Fly Zone will be seen as an act of war. That'll give Putin's regime the green light to start attacking other European nations and maybe even the United States.

As important as the Ukraine is for its neon gas - they aren't the only source. I'd rather stave off actual hot WW3 by NOT engaging the Russians - let them have Ukraine and make it clear that moving on NATO member nations will be met with first-strike nuclear attack on invading forces. Put Putin in his place while giving him the win. Black market weapons can flow into Ukraine to supply a resistance. I'm far more concerned with China taking Taiwan than I am in Russia taking the Ukraine.

One problem with this is that much like Obama’s “red line”, NATO will not fire nukes unless in retaliation to inbound nukes. It would simply be another unfulfilled promise leading our enemies to see more weakness and further disregard our threats of retaliation. They will continue to assume we will not follow through, leading to more incursions and eventually an even larger war.

I personally feel like it would be better to have the fight now and get it over with. I don’t think it’s going to be avoidable. Like not wanting to amputate a toe, and end up losing the whole leg later.

I think Todd is correct that we missed our shot for the easier path (not saying he agrees with my opinion on what we should have done). But it’s only going to become a bigger issue the longer it goes on unchecked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom