Not open for further replies.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I guess it depends.

Are we just giving back the liberal shithole states that want to go back? I mean, I don’t really care for California or New York anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on whatever assclown of the day is talking, but CA was never a colony, so anything other than the original 13 is off limits as far as I’m concerned. As for CA, give just it back to the Indians.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    This is worth a read...

I've heard elsewhere that the primary reason for post-Soviet Russian expansion is to control strategic geographic gaps in order to more easily defend its borders. I wonder who Russia thinks they need to defend against that it's worth taking such aggressive actions. Seems like a self fulfilling problem... Invading eastern Europe to secure their borders then starts a war that would threaten their borders.

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Darkpriest667 thank you for that interesting history and credible explanation. I couldn’t put my finger on why Ukraine but it’s very plausible.

Remember in 2019 once the video surfaced of Biden bragging how he got a Ukraine prosecutor fired, the ‘Rats started the impeachment business with DJT, and then the bioweapon/riot business.

When Hillary was USSoS, Ukraine business looked large as well.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Darkpriest667 thank you for that interesting history and credible explanation. I couldn’t put my finger on why Ukraine but it’s very plausible.

Remember in 2019 once the video surfaced of Biden bragging how he got a Ukraine prosecutor fired, the ‘Rats started the impeachment business with DJT, and then the bioweapon/riot business.

When Hillary was USSoS, Ukraine business looked large as well.

Yes that 70k worth of college needs to pay off somehow ;-)

There is a more detailed explanation but that's the long and short of it.

As far as The whole Mexico, California, Tejas, NM thing.

New Spain was most of the Western US at one point, however The War for Independence removed Tejas from that area and then the Mexican-American war finished the claim on that territory as well as the Gadsden purchase.

I have always been of the STRONG opinion we should have annexed ALL of Mexico.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I've heard elsewhere that the primary reason for post-Soviet Russian expansion is to control strategic geographic gaps in order to more easily defend its borders...

The primary reason is Putin keeping himself in power. We won’t see another leader of Russian until he’s dead. He created the oligarchs who control Russian organized crime, PMCs like Wagner Group, state and non-state cyber groups, as well as all the state security appartuses.

He leaves power and the internal bloodshed to fill that vacuum is going to be great and nobody can afford to leave him a threat, so he’ll be dead. The only way he lives is to die in office.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The primary reason is Putin keeping himself in power. We won’t see another leader of Russian until he’s dead. He created the oligarchs who control Russian organized crime, PMCs like Wagner Group, state and non-state cyber groups, as well as all the state security appartuses.

He leaves power and the internal bloodshed to fill that vacuum is going to be great and nobody can afford to leave him a threat, so he’ll be dead. The only way he lives is to die in office.

That's correct, he's also one of the richest men on earth supposedly

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I've heard elsewhere that the primary reason for post-Soviet Russian expansion is to control strategic geographic gaps in order to more easily defend its borders. I wonder who Russia thinks they need to defend against that it's worth taking such aggressive actions. Seems like a self fulfilling problem... Invading eastern Europe to secure their borders then starts a war that would threaten their borders.
    Russia has been invaded by stronger Europeans several times--Napolean and Hitler. I fail to see why they believe that any European country, or even the US for that matter, might WANT to invade Russia today...but maybe they just have an irrational fear.

I would argue that Russia's position is much stronger than the US/NATO's even without the buffer zone. For one, it can get its entire military to its western border before we can get any of our stateside stuff on ships. They can also do a hypersonic missile attack on our prepositioned materials, and once our tanks get here, we have nothing to put in them.

So, I guess the buffer is really about an offensive advantage. You can put your forces in a client state right on NATO's border, take half of Europe before the US even shows up, and then enjoy the advantages of fighting on defense with shorter logistical lines.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    This is worth a read...

I was on a US Military Liaison Team to the former Czechoslovakia just after that country split up (I ended up on the Slovak side). One day we were talking with the Chief of Staff of the Slovak Air Force, and he admitted the Warsaw Pact was only a buffer for the Soviets. They (the Russians) had no interest in defending those satellite states, only to slow down NATO while they fell back to defend Мать Россия (Mother Russian). The Soviets knew they Warsaw Pact countries would fight to the death to defend their homelands, but essentially they were a speed bump for the advancing Western armies.

The Soviets/Russians have had their asses handed to them six times since the 13th Century:
    1. The Mongol invasion of the Kievan Rus’
    2. The Polish invasion of Russia
    3. The Swedish invasion of the Tsardom of Russia
    4. Napoleon's invasion of the Russian Empire
    5. The Eastern front of World War 1
    6. The Eastern front of World War 2
    And they had the deal with the Western threat for over four decades (from 12 Mar 1947 to 3 Dec 1989); so it's really no surprise they're a bit paranoid about it...

Not justifying what is happening in Ukraine, just trying to put it in context.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    169030B6-D65F-4212-BA2B-4C4557F2C344.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Knowing the west theyd probably send gay bombs
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_bomb

Knowing some of the shit we pay really strange dudes that live in broke down single-wides on the Nevada Test & Training Range to come up with, this is not surprising.

What is surprising is how many of their ideas actually work (and work really well) and then get filed away for that day when somebody says “Ya know, I need something that will…”.

texas yankee

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Frisco, TX
    I don't know why Russia is doing what they're doing, but I do know that I'm sick and tired of being the world's policeman, and handling the bill that comes with doing that job. We should mind our own business, and take care of our own while we let others take care of themselves, BUT if anyone or any nation threatens us, threatens the USA, we should respond with swift and unimaginably horrific consequences that'll eliminate that threat (the bad guys, all of their extended family members, etc.), and at least cause others considering us ill will to think before they act.

Wallace Dunn

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2020
    Odessa, TX
    What is the reason that Russia is threatening to invade Ukraine

They now have 190,000 troops in position
    Putin has said the creation of Ukraine was a mistake. There are many issues. Ukraine is rich in oil and gas, minerals, and has a huge farming and agricultural industry. If you look on a map, you will see how big Ukraine is. Bigger than most of Europe combined. There's also the matter of a port to the Black Sea.

PS he isn't "threatening" now, he has invaded.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom