Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    1lfzoq.gif

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Interesting. Fox is reporting Russia does not have air superiority and Ukraine still has command and control of its forces. Furthermore, Russia lacks night vision, optics, and is using conscripts. Seems to me we should air drop some night vision and optics and let the Ukrainians go to work with a significant advantage.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    They all had a PLAN to FIGHT back, and executed that plan.
    True, but I am assuming the 13 had a plan too and doubt Russia was keen on making them out to be heros. We only know what we've been told.

I don't was to assume too much, but I don't think it a stretch that *if* they survived and killed a bunch of russians in a landing party Russia wouldn't tell anyone.

"Russian warship: I am not authorized to surrender" would have had the same effect as "Russian warship: Go **** yourself" they would die. But to any who heard those words elsewhere there would be a HUGE difference. They created an image and image matters (stupid, but it does).

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    How many leaders can say this in the western world…Let alone carry a vest. Guy used to be a comedian but still…

Can't think of US president for the last 100years who didn't think himself too important to be caught in a combat zone. I think Teddy would have. *maybe* Ike. The Potato might wander into one if left alone too long...

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    True, but I am assuming the 13 had a plan too and doubt Russia was keen on making them out to be heros. We only know what we've been told.

I don't was to assume too much, but I don't think it a stretch that *if* they survived and killed a bunch of russians in a landing party Russia wouldn't tell anyone.

"Russian warship: I am not authorized to surrender" would have had the same effect as "Russian warship: Go **** yourself" they would die. But to any who heard those words elsewhere there would be a HUGE difference. They created an image and image matters (stupid, but it does).

We are in the Fog of War and truth is first casualty. Just about anything we see on internet could have been faked. Already seen plenty of scenes that were fake. One fight scene was from Syria.....

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    We will disgree.

I think needless slaughters are demoralizing.

On the other hand, unselfish bravery that completes a tactical objective (like dying to blow up a bridge and slow advance), motivates.
    Maybe they could have escaped, failing that, surrendered, but somehow I'd rather think that I would do exactly what they did...

The guy dying on the bridge didn't give his life willingly, but by miscalculation.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    So I see NATO (germany/netherlands) is getting ready to send stuff (400 RPG and other German weapons) to Ukraine.

Could get real ugly real fast.
    France seized a Russian flagged ship and I have heard NATO members have had ships in Ukrainian ports were attacked or damaged...

Reactions: gll

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    So I see NATO (germany/netherlands) is getting ready to send stuff (400 RPG and other German weapons) to Ukraine.

Could get real ugly real fast.
    Russia may have showed its top gear in the preinvasion show to scare off NATO, but it seems they crossed the border with their old crap. I heard they did the same in Syria...dropping rusty iron bombs from the 50s and 60s. They never throw anything away.

Too bad we are wasting Javelins when those RPG volleys will do the job just as well. Now the Russians have our fabulous manportable fire and forget tech.

Almin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2021
    SA
    I totally get what you are saying, but I say the "Russian warship: Go **** yourself" was in-line with "Nuts" or Col. Wm. B. Travis' cannon shot when Santa Anna demanded their surrender.

The 13 on Snake Island only had a few options:
    -surrender and end their war.

-Dig in and try to survive and fight if assaulted, then die.

-Tell Russia to **** itself and inspire others to be willing to fight and not to fear death.

I tend to think the were dug in. Understand Snake Island was a SF training facility. I'm just a dumb cop and even I know to dig in. I'm sure the island was completely hammered.

If those 13, whose war was essentially already over, inspire 13 others to bravery then I think they made a good call. I think they were fucking bad-asses for that response.

Likewise I see an unarmed man standing in front of a tank as something that could rally public opinion against Russia. Look at Rhodesia, they were fighting a good fight against commies, but some of the methods didnt look good or were twisted or what ever and world wide politics couldn't really afford to get behind their war because of looks. Remove the weapons and claim the terrs were civilian...

It is a matter of opinion, but I think it was great and it put Russia in a no win position. Stop and an unarmed civilian stopped a war machine. Don't stop and now Russians are driving over unarmed civilians "oh the horror".

Looks/perception matters when a single image can become the one that a war is remembered by.

We will disgree.

I think needless slaughters are demoralizing.

On the other hand, unselfish bravery that completes a tactical objective (like dying to blow up a bridge and slow advance), motivates.
    Turned out those folks are alive. So much misinformation flows back and forth, so I don't trust either source

Last edited:

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I am trying to understand what Russia was really planning given the recent reports of poor Russian equipment, training, and understanding of why they are in Ukraine. I think this:

There are two types of Russian forces in Ukraine: (1) Spetznaz, air and missile forces are their top of the line (Su35s, Kaliber cruise missiles), but (2) their ground forces are conscript with old equipment. The ground forces are their to occupy the Ukrainian army while the air and missiles destroy command and control and allow special forces to decapitate the government. Then Russia claims victory and goes home with a friendly government in place and only lost some conscripts and a few old tanks.

For this reason, they HAD to put on a pre-invasion show and outrageous threats of nuclear response, otherwise NATO would totally blunt their invasion and delivery a very public humiliation to Putin. I think Putin is going to have to buckle down and act faster now. Supposedly only 1/3rd of ground forces are in...perhaps the other 2/3rds are top of line stuff to seal the deal.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Sat, Feb 26. 5:25 AM EST/12:25 PM Kyiv time

In Sumy, Russian aircraft are scattering children's toys, mobile phones, and valuables stuffed with explosives, according to the local military administration.

The Russians did this in Afghanistan which randomly killed many civilians. Looks like they are up to their dirty old tricks again.

• Sad

Almin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2021
    SA
    I hate the fact that this war started, but some folks promised Gorby not to expand NATO over Oder and he believed them.Turned out the word was worth a shit, and later became bigger problem.
    https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...-right-a-bf318d2c-7aeb-4b59-8d5f-1d8c94e1964d

Just imagine for a second that Mexico joined China and put chinese nukes onto his territory - so we are in TX in immediate danger to be evaporated in a heartbeat. Same shit with Ukraine

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    What are some good online english language foreign news sources? Seems like BBC UK and Al Jazeera provide good info , but I'm looking for more. I don't trust US sources.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I hate the fact that this war started, but some folks promised Gorby not to expand NATO over Oder and he believed them.Turned out the word was worth a shit, and later became bigger problem.
    https://www.spiegel.de/internationa...-right-a-bf318d2c-7aeb-4b59-8d5f-1d8c94e1964d

Just imagine for a second that Mexico joined China and put chinese nukes onto his territory - so we are in TX in immediate danger to be evaporated in a heartbeat. Same shit with Ukraine
    Yup, pretty much.

Almin

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2021
    SA
    What are some good online english language foreign news sources? Seems like BBC UK and Al Jazeera provide good info , but I'm looking for more. I don't trust US sources.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Only telegram channels at this time, unfortunately

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom