• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Thought the blue book prices (and USAA who insures it estimates), on my used 2013 RAM 1500 were inflated.

Got a call Friday from a salesman(?) at the Dodge Chrysler dealer where I have any required maintenance done to keep the warranty in effect.

Guy basically offered to buy (not trade-in) the truck outright, at approximately $2700 more than I paid for it (used) 18 months ago.

Yeah, I suspect the offer is full of gotcha's, if, ands, and buts ... but never had that happen before.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    had the same thing happen to me years ago with my Dodge about 9 months before it was paid off. I went in there with the "you called me, I don't need you attitude". Didn't make a deal but it was damn close. The sales guy called me back a coupla days later offering me the deal that I wanted (he could have done it that day).......so I told him I wasn't interested. But if he would have done it that day..........

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    had the same thing happen to me years ago with my Dodge about 9 months before it was paid off. I went in there with the "you called me, I don't need you attitude". Didn't make a deal but it was damn close. The sales guy called me back a coupla days later offering me the deal that I wanted (he could have done it that day).......so I told him I wasn't interested. But if he would have done it that day..........

I specifically asked if the offer was a trade-in, or involved another purchase, and he said no, but with the zinger "...but I would be glad to help you with that if you're interested".

Heard of dealers offering things like that included with some kind of mailout promotion, but never with a phone call, and never a cash transaction.

Only thing I can think of is demand must be outta sight.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Hit up a dodge dealership with 5 stars. They'll kiss your ass to sale a truck.

Pick out your ride. Tell the salesman $500 over invoice, flat financing. Meaning no extended warranty, gap insurance, or other crap. If you want more warranty, haggle the price down on that it self. There's mark up in everything. Also tell them you're NOT paying for window etch. It cost about $3 to etch the glass, they charge 100x for that. It's a gimmick.

When the finance manager shows you the interest rate. Ask to see the fax the bank sent them, that has the interest rate the bank is giving. The more interest points the finance manger can run up on you....the more $$$ to them. Say the bank said 6%. They slide you paperwork that says 11%. The points over the bank buy rate is pure profit that go's to the dealership.

Demand a full tank of gas and a stinger for the receiver hitch.

If they say no to any of these....walk.

If you put dodge country against Mac haik.....one or the other will gut the price. The best you'll do, depending on market is $500 back invoice. However if folks are buying the trucks, it won't happen.

1/2 ton Dodge trucks have a constant $2500 markup over the invoice. Regardless of rebates. The cars have $1500. Duellys have around $3500 Mark up.

$500 over invoice, flat financing is a good deal for both parties.

As for a trade in. The used car manager already gave it a price as you drive up. It's a bullshit show when they drive it. It's all cattle to him and he prices them just as fast. If they offer you anything below $1000-1500, under $2500. They're getting it for free. It's a numbers game. Take $1000 out of Mark up and say it's for your trade in. When In reality, it's only numbers on paper. Numbers are taken from one page, written on the other. No real money is given for wholesale trade ins.

Rebates have zero to do with Mark up. If you buy a truck and only take rebates, you just bought the truck at sticker.

Window Etch? WTF is that?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I specifically asked if the offer was a trade-in, or involved another purchase, and he said no, but with the zinger "...but I would be glad to help you with that if you're interested".

Heard of dealers offering things like that included with some kind of mailout promotion, but never with a phone call, and never a cash transaction.

Generally they have a customer looking for that exact truck. They wouldn't do that to park it on the lot.

My uncle had that happen with a Mercedes he had. The dealer wanted it for himself.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Generally they have a customer looking for that exact truck. They wouldn't do that to park it on the lot.

My uncle had that happen with a Mercedes he had. The dealer wanted it for himself.
    this is what the sales guy told me......the demand for my style of truck was up and they already had buyers

karlac

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs

Kinda figured that, and since they do the maintenance, they certainly have the data.
    Adds up ... just had it in two weeks ago to get the remote key fob replaced under warranty.

the_persuader

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2015
    Window Etch? WTF is that?
    They etch the VIN number in the windows. It's supposed to help recover stolen vehicles, but if they're smart enough to change a VIN plate on a windshield or remove it from the frame, I highly doubt a thief if going to keep the window glass with the VIN on it.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    They etch the VIN number in the windows. It's supposed to help recover stolen vehicles, but if they're smart enough to change a VIN plate on a windshield or remove it from the frame, I highly doubt a thief if going to keep the window glass with the VIN on it.

Well that sounds like yet another sales gimmick. With the amount of insurance I carry on my vehicles I am BEGGING someone to friggin steal it! Here! The keys are in it! lol I have only bought one new vehicle in my lifetime and with that I bought one where there were 8-10 dealers with a 100 miles and they all had the model I was looking for. Now that I fly for free there isn't one thing a stealer can hold over me when buying a new vehicle. Soon I will have to go through this arduous process of buying one and will tyr to buy from an individual rather than a stealer at all costs.

Love the Tundra but do not like the new trucks with the lettering stamped into the tailgate. Looks hooky to me.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I've had the local chevy dealer try to buy my ride back from me a few times via fliers in the mail. They list it by vehicle year and model so I know it's not a generalized letter.

It's an 04 blazer that hasn't been to them for maintenance in years. I'm pretty sure there's a scam involved.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    My '97 GMC Z71 cost me $5K cash a little over 8 years ago. So far I've changed a fuel pump, intake manifold gasket, radiator (my fault) and a distributor. It's ugly as hell but pulled two stumps with it a couple weeks ago. Folks can feel however they want about their politics, management or any other aspect of the company but you'll have a pretty hard time convincing me they don't make good trucks.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's an 04 blazer that hasn't been to them for maintenance in years. I'm pretty sure there's a scam involved.
    I don't think it's a scam, but they are hoping they can talk you into a new vehicle. There's actually a pretty big demand for used cars right now. The used car market was ruined by cash for clunkers.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi

So I have an opinion about that. It's all supposition. Nothing really to support it, other than I buy durable goods for a living.

The used car market is up. There is a whole lot of crap on new cars people don't want to pay for. So they buy used, because the initial devaluation of the car.

Dealers IMO run a higher margin off used cars. BUT they also get kickbacks off of volume from the manufacturer based off of units sold.

So in your mind you'd sell your car for 8-10 grand. they take number x lets say 10,000. And they say hey we'll buy your car for 10,000 bucks. That gets you in the door. Then they nickel and dime you down a bit, then say BUT if you buy a new one I can give you more off the new car.

So the pitch turns into your paying 375 for a car payment. BUT for 50 dollars more a month you can get this new truck!

So now they've distilled down their sale to the difference between your old and potentially new car payment. And don't focus on the extra 24 months you gotta keep paying on the car.

It give them volume sales plus a car they can hit x2 and market for immediate cash revenue.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    So I have an opinion about that. It's all supposition. Nothing really to support it, other than I buy durable goods for a living.

The used car market is up. There is a whole lot of crap on new cars people don't want to pay for. So they buy used, because the initial devaluation of the car.

Dealers IMO run a higher margin off used cars. BUT they also get kickbacks off of volume from the manufacturer based off of units sold.

So in your mind you'd sell your car for 8-10 grand. they take number x lets say 10,000. And they say hey we'll buy your car for 10,000 bucks. That gets you in the door. Then they nickel and dime you down a bit, then say BUT if you buy a new one I can give you more off the new car.

So the pitch turns into your paying 375 for a car payment. BUT for 50 dollars more a month you can get this new truck!

So now they've distilled down their sale to the difference between your old and potentially new car payment. And don't focus on the extra 24 months you gotta keep paying on the car.

It give them volume sales plus a car they can hit x2 and market for immediate cash revenue.
    This is ok if your were planning to buy new anyway

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    There is no right answer for everyone. I own a 2500 2006 Diesel with 125K miles. Up till the last few months, no problems of any kind. However, recently, two AC compressors, power distribution computer ($1K), batteries (destroyed by computer), and transmission. I got quotes on the transmission from 3K to 5K, so I looked at trading.
    I drove Ford F150, Dodge with Hemi, and Nissian (5.6L). Looked at Toyota, but was not interested enough to drive. All of these were basically based on old technology with no real advancement. Big motor, basic interiors, and ignore gas mileage. The only exception was the Ford. It claimed 22 mpg, interior was great, lots of extras and lots of power. I also liked the stronger AL body. Price was a wash. Since, for me the vehicle would be 90% car and used for truck only 10%, the Ford was by far the best choice. (As a footnote, I found an individual to rebuild the transmission for $1500 and will keep the Dodge for a while longer)

Top Bottom