• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    A 7075 stripped lower from PSA is just as good as any other. Its a solid foundation.

Possibly. It is much more likely to be out of spec. I've seen several pics of their lowers that were missing buffer detent holes.

The $100 difference in lowers comes down to running the machines slower and having everything guaged by a human.

CrashJohnson

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Fort Worth
    My experience so far, recently purchased a Palmetto AK GF3 underfolder in nutmeg. Beautiful, runs like a sewing machine, eats any old ammo. As accurate as I can make it, which is to say not very.

Will go "build" my 1st AR from them as soon as my wife funds allow.

Anyone want to share their experiences with PSA?

I'm a PSA fan. I've built several rifles and purchased handguns from them. All have been fantastic. Great pricing. Fast shipping. My experience has been 100% positive.

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I wouldn't touch PSA's ammo brand personally. I've seen some pictures of issues with their AAC ammo recently. Cases where the copper jacket separates and damages the suppressor. Issue noted on 556 and 300BO. They make bullets in-house but also source them from other places as well.
    IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3122.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    They're ARs are cheap for a reason. The products are made as quickly as possible by high school students and there is no QC whatsoever. Nearly every mfg error possible has been documented with them, and their premium lines cost as much as BCM, Colt, and SOLGW last time I looked.

From a budgetary standpoint, it makes more sense to pay 2X as much to get something that's more than 2X as good. The only exception is re-selling during panics, when it's easy to make 2x or 3x back what you paid. I really don't think there will be anymore panics unless something catastrophic happens to the country. Politically, that movement is nearly dead.

Their H&R retro line is a separate conversation. I hope they don't screw those up.

They can often be a good place to buy accessories and ammo for cheap. Their AAC 75gr looks very good for the price. I'd live to see some velocity and gel tests. Hopefully it's not as overpressured as their early 55gr which grouped at 4MOA and frequently blew out primers.

They own Toolcraft now, and for ehat they charge for BCGs you can get a superior Microbest for the same or less money for AR15discounts.
    Show me a company where nearly every mfg error hasnt happened?

Anyone making any significant amount of widgets will not only have errors but have some get past QC.

My PSAs get ran hard in dirt, dust and damp in run-and-gun matches where you run, scramble, crawl and swim over a 7-9mi course shooting at stages along the way and they have been super reliable for me.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

olddirtygerm

Awesome
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2018
    Fort Worth
    let me guess Dead air cans? LOL which are known to have this issue? Is there multiple reports of the AAC ammo doing this? If so.. links?
    That can was apparently from Otter Creek Labs. There are more reports that pop up in my feed. I'm not really following this closely. A quick google search brought up several threads that someone could easily find. It's not unreasonable to think that PSA could have quality issues with their ammo when they have quality issues with most new things they do. It's just something to consider when buying ammo.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Sucks I was really thinking of switching to AAC.
    I tried some of their 77gr stuff in my PRI. It shot about 1-1.5". I had a .30 cal suppressor, so there wasn't much risk of a baffle strike, not that i was aware of the risk at the time.

Black hills and imi were typically less than an inch, and after pricing the rounds that were too mangled to shoot, the PSA stuff just wasn't worth it.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Show me a company where nearly every mfg error hasnt happened?

Anyone making any significant amount of widgets will not only have errors but have some get past QC.

My PSAs get ran hard in dirt, dust and damp in run-and-gun matches where you run, scramble, crawl and swim over a 7-9mi course shooting at stages along the way and they have been super reliable for me.

It's about the odds.

A company like BCM, SOLGW, LaRue, etc that hire armorers are far less likely to turn out a turd than a company that hires minimum wage untrained high schoolers. If you've seen the guaging process used by these companies you wouldn't have made that comment. A missing buffer detent hole would be virtually impossible from them.

I'll also state an AR that can run hard doesn't neccessarily mean it runs well. A 16" AR with a 1.10 gas port, semi-auto BCG and carbine buffer will run hard. It will also be harder on the bolt and extractor, causing premature failure, recoil like an AK, and malfunction more often. Do you understand why?

Check out the School of the American Rifle channel on Youtube if you want to be a very educated consumer. It's fascinating material if you like to tinker with things and see how they work.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    It's about the odds.

A company like BCM, SOLGW, LaRue, etc that hire armorers are far less likely to turn out a turd than a company that hires minimum wage untrained high schoolers. If you've seen the guaging process used by these companies you wouldn't have made that comment. A missing buffer detent hole would be virtually impossible from them.

I'll also state an AR that can run hard doesn't neccessarily mean it runs well. A 16" AR with a 1.10 gas port, semi-auto BCG and carbine buffer will run hard. It will also be harder on the bolt and extractor, causing premature failure, recoil like an AK, and malfunction more often. Do you understand why?

Check out the School of the American Rifle channel on Youtube if you want to be a very educated consumer. It's fascinating material if you like to tinker with things and see how they work.

You're so full of hot air. Machines do better QC than humans.

A perfectly gassed rifle now will be under gassed dirty.

A perfectly gassed rifle now will be over gassed win a can.

I'll take an overgassed rifle over a marginally gassed rifle anyday, even if its harder on the parts. Parts are wear items. Youre bragging about detuning your race car engine so you dont wear out tires...

Buy the time you shoot enough to break stuff on an over gassed gun your ammo costs will dwarf the $100 for an entire BCG or $250 for BCG and barrel..

My rifle is a tool, it gets banged around and dirty and used. Bolts and extractors and barrels are wear items. You shouldnt expect to run them forever without repairing wear items

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You're so full of hot air. Machines do better QC than humans.

A perfectly gassed rifle now will be under gassed dirty.

A perfectly gassed rifle now will be over gassed win a can.

I'll take an overgassed rifle over a marginally gassed rifle anyday, even if its harder on the parts. Parts are wear items. Youre bragging about detuning your race car engine so you dont wear out tires...

Buy the time you shoot enough to break stuff on an over gassed gun your ammo costs will dwarf the $100 for an entire BCG or $250 for BCG and barrel..

My rifle is a tool, it gets banged around and dirty and used. Bolts and extractors and barrels are wear items. You shouldnt expect to run them forever without repairing wear items

While there's no set definition of "perfectly gassed", I'd take a GI sized gas port everyday over, say the black holes DD were using.

And when shooting suppressed, an overgassed barrel can be a bitch to tune, a properly gassed barrel really should only need a heavier buffer and a gas blocking charging handle, even something as simple as a USGI CH with RTV.

Keeping an AR reliable is better accomplished by keeping the gun wet with good quality lubricant, vs trying to brute force it by overgassing.

All that said, PSA gas ports tend to be somewhat reasonable.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I have a psa upper in 5.7x28 that came with a buffer. It has issues, but hopefully get it running better. 1st 2 rounds go good, but after that it's a single shot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom