• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I didn't see it an an insult. Now, people coming in 12 pages in to post links to commercially-made mass-produced cleavers for sale, that's insulting.
    Is a pretty french looking chopper at that. I am actually going to be cleaving large animal bones with the one you are making, not frog legs and salad.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I didn't see it an an insult. Now, people coming in 12 pages in to post links to commercially-made mass-produced cleavers for sale, that's insulting.
    Well he knows everything after all. Then has the complete lack of self awareness to call others arrogant.

I mean, I'm a crotchety bastard and arshole at times. First step is to admit you have a problem, right. I just wish the next steps weren't up everest.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Well he knows everything after all. Then has the complete lack of self awareness to call others arrogant.

I mean, I'm a crotchety bastard and arshole at times. First step is to admit you have a problem, right. I just wish the next steps weren't up everest.

Self-aware crotchety assholes are also referred to as "having a sharp, caustic wit". Roll with it, my friend.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    OK, so I got some time with the new grinding belt today and...what a freaking difference! I've spent hours working on it with no visible difference, and then today with the new belt after just a few minutes there was visible change. I'll be doing more tomorrow and am looking forward to the actual next step after all this time. No pics today - I was too caught up in what I was doing - but I should get some pics tomorrow to show the progress.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I use to watch it. It's a straight up competition of skills.

It really gave me a broader understanding of the importance of a good heat treat and just what could be expected from hand-forged blades. I've rarely been happier than I was after I torture tested those first two blades I made and saw that they survived, especially after the cinder block.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Progress! And all it cost me was three brand new 40 grit belts...

20230402_110514.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You can see some hammer marks still visible in the bevel - that's because the bevel is super shallow at the moment. I caught it at the perfect angle with the light. There's a lot of work still to do.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ok, after much grinding and sanding I'm about to grind the bevels into the blade. The previous bevels were extremely shallow as I was just getting an idea what angle to grind at...and now it's time to get aggressive. Here's the current state of things:

20230427_125125.jpg 20230427_125119.jpg

That last hammer mark at the corner will be ground out when the bevel goes in.

FINALLY some progress!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ok, after much grinding and sanding I'm about to grind the bevels into the blade. The previous bevels were extremely shallow as I was just getting an idea what angle to grind at...and now it's time to get aggressive. Here's the current state of things:

View attachment 385039 View attachment 385040

That last hammer mark at the corner will be ground out when the bevel goes in.

FINALLY some progress!
    Wow.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom