• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

They are rare outside asian restaurants & meat markets. I worked with a chinese guy who brought them to work but never used them. His were all high carbon steel & wooden handles & the health departments both corporate & City of Houston would shit on the floor find them.

They really take a lot of practice on for say doing chops. An old school wood block that does not bounce is best to use them on.

A local knifemaker would be be tits but the temper is really different as seen on Fordged inn Fire bone chop test. They get a heat treatment that holds an edge & not brittle.

Last edited:

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    I've found the asian cleavers a bit thin for that. Mostly used for veggie and prepared meats. Mine got bent or notched when I tried to proces bones. But I Agree that you might want to look around for a local bladesmith to make you one. Best one I ever had found in a rusty junk bucket at an 'old' car show.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Best one I ever had found in a rusty junk bucket at an 'old' car show.

Got one at a flea market for $2. 1/4” thick.

8E391BF2-0DD4-4199-89E6-F46727BAD8CE.jpeg
    6971C3FF-D0CE-4802-8EE5-0D0DCC78F2E8.jpeg
    63B1C758-48B9-4E83-9112-3A4E93B31CB2.jpeg

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I'm currently making a cleaver to order for a customer. I'll be using the same heat treating technique I used on the test knives I made that survived chopping into a cinder block.

Gotta warn you, though...hand forged knives aren't cheap. If you want to discuss it, I'm definitely open to making you one. Turnaround time is probably 3 weeks since I only get to really spend time forging on the weekends.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The only ones I can get won't be anywhere near as heavy duty as you need. They are really just fancy cutting blades. No way I would pass them off as choppers. I do have a machette blade that would make a hell of a chopper though.
    General Zod might be able to help with a cleaver. He is working on one now IIRC. See how it turns out.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm currently making a cleaver to order for a customer. I'll be using the same heat treating technique I used on the test knives I made that survived chopping into a cinder block.

Gotta warn you, though...hand forged knives aren't cheap. If you want to discuss it, I'm definitely open to making you one. Turnaround time is probably 3 weeks since I only get to really spend time forging on the weekends.
    Message sent

Top Bottom