• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I didn't see it an an insult. Now, people coming in 12 pages in to post links to commercially-made mass-produced cleavers for sale, that's insulting.
    Is a pretty french looking chopper at that. I am actually going to be cleaving large animal bones with the one you are making, not frog legs and salad.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I didn't see it an an insult. Now, people coming in 12 pages in to post links to commercially-made mass-produced cleavers for sale, that's insulting.
    Well he knows everything after all. Then has the complete lack of self awareness to call others arrogant.

I mean, I'm a crotchety bastard and arshole at times. First step is to admit you have a problem, right. I just wish the next steps weren't up everest.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Well he knows everything after all. Then has the complete lack of self awareness to call others arrogant.

I mean, I'm a crotchety bastard and arshole at times. First step is to admit you have a problem, right. I just wish the next steps weren't up everest.

Self-aware crotchety assholes are also referred to as "having a sharp, caustic wit". Roll with it, my friend.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    OK, so I got some time with the new grinding belt today and...what a freaking difference! I've spent hours working on it with no visible difference, and then today with the new belt after just a few minutes there was visible change. I'll be doing more tomorrow and am looking forward to the actual next step after all this time. No pics today - I was too caught up in what I was doing - but I should get some pics tomorrow to show the progress.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I use to watch it. It's a straight up competition of skills.

It really gave me a broader understanding of the importance of a good heat treat and just what could be expected from hand-forged blades. I've rarely been happier than I was after I torture tested those first two blades I made and saw that they survived, especially after the cinder block.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Progress! And all it cost me was three brand new 40 grit belts...

20230402_110514.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    You can see some hammer marks still visible in the bevel - that's because the bevel is super shallow at the moment. I caught it at the perfect angle with the light. There's a lot of work still to do.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Ok, after much grinding and sanding I'm about to grind the bevels into the blade. The previous bevels were extremely shallow as I was just getting an idea what angle to grind at...and now it's time to get aggressive. Here's the current state of things:

20230427_125125.jpg 20230427_125119.jpg

That last hammer mark at the corner will be ground out when the bevel goes in.

FINALLY some progress!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Ok, after much grinding and sanding I'm about to grind the bevels into the blade. The previous bevels were extremely shallow as I was just getting an idea what angle to grind at...and now it's time to get aggressive. Here's the current state of things:

View attachment 385039 View attachment 385040

That last hammer mark at the corner will be ground out when the bevel goes in.

FINALLY some progress!
    Wow.

Top Bottom